Page 1 of 2
I bought a few months ago Windows Vista, because I needed a legit copy on windows when I upgraded my PC. Its not the Upgrade disc, but the full install one.

Can I legally install it with the same key on my laptop? Or does the thing only let you install it on 1 computer.
No, it won't let you activate on another PC. You can only do that on anything below XP.
Bill Gates can't afford that new swimming pool thanks to you people
Quote by FRDesign
Damnit, XP is full of aids, and I cannot stand it.

XP and Vista both work fine.
Quote by Tony83
nope. get a mac

Because getting a mac will allow him to install Vista on more than one PC using a single license.

Even if it did, it would be cheaper to buy a second license for Vista.
Quote by heminder
even better, use Linux...
all problems solved...

Gaming?
Quote by MightyAl
Get a windows emulator

Without having shitty framerates and other problems?
Quote by heminder
even better, use Linux...
all problems solved...

unless he plans do any recording or audio work with it. Linux has its advantages, but it's not the end all be all of computing like some people like to think.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Masonpwiley
Gaming?

yeh, like MightyAl said...
you can get games to work on Linux with WINE...
if you're a desperate geek, you can always dual-boot...
(that's having both operating systems on the same machine)

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
unless he plans do any recording or audio work with it. Linux has its advantages, but it's not the end all be all of computing like some people like to think.

what...
i mean WHAT are you talking about... ?
Last edited by heminder at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by heminder

WHAT are you talking about... ?

I'm talking about the fact that Linux doesn't have good enough ASIO drivers for anything other than really mediocre recording, and it still has massive latency problems, and that software is pretty underpowered compared to whats available on mac or windows.

Last.fm
Quote by Masonpwiley
Without having shitty framerates and other problems?

Have a decent PC. I don't know anyone who runs Linux and(for example)WINE who's had problems that aren't hardware related.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I'm talking about the fact that Linux doesn't have good enough ASIO drivers for anything other than really mediocre recording, and it still has massive latency problems, and that software is pretty underpowered compared to whats available on mac or windows.

as for drivers a lot of hardware if supported...
and i don't know where you got the rest of your information from, but Linux has a real-time kernel, so latency really isn't much of a problem at all...
as for the software, i presume you've used it all to say it's underpowered... ?
Quote by heminder
as for drivers a lot of hardware if supported...
and i don't know where you got the rest of your information from, but Linux has a real-time kernel, so latency really isn't much of a problem at all...
as for the software, i presume you've used it all to say it's underpowered... ?

I've used Ardour Ubuntu Studio and Reaper, which are the major ones, and yes they are underpowered. and even with direct kernel, without ASIO drivers there are still a lot of issues with latency and sound quality. I'm getting this information from audio engineering school and personal experience.

Theres a reason most people who do audio work don't use Linux.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've used Ardour Ubuntu Studio and Reaper, which are the major ones, and yes they are underpowered. and even with direct kernel, without ASIO drivers there are still a lot of issues with latency and sound quality. I'm getting this information from audio engineering school and personal experience.

Theres a reason most people who do audio work don't use Linux.

well, you must have missed something because i can do pretty much everything i'd ever want to do using Linux...
supporting free software is more meaningful than relying on proprietary software corporations that do their best to restrict users...
the fact that Linux, Ardour, Jack and others are FOSS mean they can continue to be improved without limit, whereas proprietary software is limited only to what the company does with it...

i'm closing my part of the debate here, because it is off-topic...
Last edited by heminder at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by MightyAl
Have a decent PC. I don't know anyone who runs Linux and(for example)WINE who's had problems that aren't hardware related.

That's because nobody uses linux for gaming, and hardly anyone uses it at all. That takes down the chance that someone you know will have problems.

Can't we have a thread about OSes without arguing? It's just an OS.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
That's because nobody uses linux for gaming, and hardly anyone uses it at all. That takes down the chance that someone you know will have problems.

Can't we have a thread about OSes without arguing? It's just an OS.

You're the one bashing Linux.
And actually most of the Linux users I know I've met in games like SWG(pre-CU), EVE and LotRO.
Quote by skaterskagg1
do yourself a favor and stay as far away from vista as possible. trust me.

Vista bashing got old a year ago. Just because you don't know how to properly use a computer doesn't make Vista a horrible operating system. I haven't had any problems with it. In fact, it is a lot less buggy than XP.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by MightyAl
And actually most of the Linux users I know I've met in games like SWG(pre-CU), EVE and LotRO.

I'm not bashing Linux. I am saying that it's not good for running games any not many people use it. Just because I'm not sucking it's **** doesn't mean I am bashing it.

Can it run newer games like Crysis, Bioshock, COD4, etc?
Quote by Black Star
Vista bashing got old a year ago. Just because you don't know how to properly use a computer doesn't make Vista a horrible operating system. I haven't had any problems with it. In fact, it is a lot less buggy than XP.

Generally better for divers as well.
Quote by Masonpwiley
I'm not bashing Linux. I am saying that it's not good for running games any not many people use it. Just because I'm not sucking it's **** doesn't mean I am bashing it.

Can it run newer games like Crysis, Bioshock, COD4, etc?

I have no idea, sinceI don't use it myself.
The fact is, Linux isn't aimed at the same market as Windows and MacOS. It does assume, I think, a rather greater knowledge of computers than your average user has.
The reason Gaming is difficult in Linux isn't a failure of the OS, it's a failure of the developers to support the OS.

You can run many games in WINE perfectly, and WINE is improving all the time. Just searching a few modern games in the wine Appdb shows a few modern games getting bronze and gold stamps for workability.

Personally I dual boot windows and Ubuntu because aside from gaming and recording Ubuntu does everything else at least as well as Windows or better while being more asthetically pleasing, customisable and free.
Quote by MightyAl

I don't think he's bashing Linux, pointing out the faults of something does not equal bashing.

Quote by freedoms_stain
The reason Gaming is difficult in Linux isn't a failure of the OS, it's a failure of the developers to support the OS.

true, but you can't really blame developers for not developing for an OS that very few people actually use, and the people that do expect damn near everything for it to be open source, which isn't making devs any money.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by skaterskagg1
do yourself a favor and stay as far away from vista as possible. trust me.

I've used XP and Vista, and I haven't had a problem with either of them. If you are going to tell him not to use it, don't you think you should give him a reason? Not just "trust me".
yeah, you need a new key, but I think microsoft will give you another one.

Last.fm
Quote by FRDesign
Anyone wanna actually answer my question, and stop agruing about linux

I answered it already. You can't install XP or Vista on more than one PC using the same key. Even with the older Windows versions, you aren't supposed to, but you can. You need another key.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
true, but you can't really blame developers for not developing for an OS that very few people actually use, and the people that do expect damn near everything for it to be open source, which isn't making devs any money.
Linux has about 7% of the market share, it's more than doubled in the last 5 years.

More and more companies are waking up to Linux. Nvidia and ATI now officially support Linux, and more and more popular software is making its way over to Linux.

Microsoft have gotten REALLY complacent about their position in the market and more and more people are investigating the alternatives, and Linux and Apple are seeing massive gains due to this.

5 years ago people barely new Apple were still making computers in the UK, today you walk into any major city centre and you'll find an Apple store.
yeah Linix is making gains, but 7% of the market share isn't enough for most companies to consider putting games or niche market (i.e. recording, video editing) software out there, not to mention the fact that most Linux users prefer open source stuff anyway. So yeah Microsoft is losing out on some of it's market share, but it will take a good while for Linux to catch up.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah Linix is making gains, but 7% of the market share isn't enough for most companies to consider putting games or niche market (i.e. recording, video editing) software out there, not to mention the fact that most Linux users prefer open source stuff anyway. So yeah Microsoft is losing out on some of it's market share, but it will take a good while for Linux to catch up.
To put it in perspective, Apple has about 8% of the market share.

And, another interestring point, id software, the guys behind Quake, release Linux versions of their games.

So there may be a long way to go before Linux is considered a serious competitor in the PC market, but it's not as far away as many, including yourself, seem to think.

Ubuntu and its varients are far more user friendly than tradition Linux distros, and they make it easy to try without installing via the Live CD, and people are liking what they see.
Page 1 of 2