So, I was reading the Guitar World with the interviews of James Hetfield and then Kirk Hammet, then the oral history by the band. During the interview of Hetfield, he mentioned something about how he used to just put a smiley face in the EQ back in the Eighties. Then, he mentioned that now he uses the midranges for a "bite" in his guitar tone.

So I want to know as much as I can about equilizing my guitar, about all the basses, trebels, and mid ranges.

So thanks.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
It kinda depends on who you are playing with... like what other instruments.

If your playing with a whole band then you probably don't want to scoop your mids because thats where the heart of the guitar's frequencies reside and the bass and treble might start to clash or get lost in the mix of the other instruments... like bass and drums.

But in saying that I know its still done.

Its all about compromise. EQ your guitar to where it will fit in the frequency spectrum of the band (usually with a bit of boost in the mids)...

...But then if your just playing by yourself then EQ to what ever sound you like.
a lot of metal guitarists will 'scoop' the midrange frequencies (i.e. reduce them), leaving their sound with lots of bass and lots of top end... this gives them a nice heavy chug, but also enough to high end to cut through a mix... the reduction in the mids can remove a lot of mush from the sound but also at the expense of a guitar's particular character... because for some reason, the mid frequencies, and how they change over time when you play a note, tends to be the most distinctive and variable range of frequencies from guitar to guitar... so scooping your mids can make your guitar sound a little more anonymous than if you had a bit of mid in there... so I think James Hetfield is talking about discovering exactly the amount of mids to leave in his sound that allowed the right amount of expressiveness and character to come through

the drawback with scooping is that you can leave very little room for other instruments down at the low end... which is one reason why records like Justice had very little bass guitar on there... the low end was provided by the guitars... one thing they did on the black album onwards was to have more mids in the guitars... leaving some room underneath for the bass guitar

bands like Korn had such a deep scooped guitar sound that the only bass sound that could fit was an almost inaudible sub-bass with a tinny rattle on top...

sometimes guitarists need to realise that they don't always have to be responsible for filling up the entire frequency range at all times... drop tuning means that you can have a huge sound on your own, no need for a bass player or anything... but I think it's important that your sound works as part of a band, which often means using a sound that sounds better in the mix than on its own

really, the secret to a balanced mix is that every instrument has its own space to sit in, and that their characteristic frequencies are not overshadowed by another instrument in that range... this is one reason why Fender Jazz basses are more popular now than Precisions... they tend to sit better (find space underneath and up in the high mids) in a mix when the lows mids are hogged by a large humbucker overdriven guitar tone...
out of here
thanks guys!
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
James used to scoop his mids before because Marshalls are middy in general.
I'm assuming that they bumped up the mids when they switched to Mesas, since they're not as middy. Not to mention that they had downtuned to Eb later.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?