Hey pit. I have a major problem.

I'm 16, and I play baseball. I am a pitcher, and over the years, have become quite the stud (I'm a modest guy, huh?). I have thrown $1000s away on pitching lessons, and they have paid off quite well.

My dream is to one day play in the MLB (Major League Baseball). Recently, it looks like that dream could be a reality if I work hard and stay in shape and blah blah blah.

HOWEVER, My high school has just began its winter league program to get back into the baseball feel again. I have been playing all year so I haven't lost my abilites. Recently, in summer ball on a scout team, I pitched 25 innings and only gave up 1 run, yet when I come back to my high school team, I pitch like shit. when I practice with my pitching coach, I am amazing, but when I pitch in a game nowadays, I have no control, my fastball is lacking a good 7-10 MPH (Miles Per Hour. 7-10 is a huge difference), and I seem to just be lacking in my overall pitching mechanics as well (this is why I have a pitching coach, to learn the mechanics of pitching and to be able to throw correctly).

I am extremely depressed. I am worried that I will not make my dream, and that really worries me. Baseball is my life. It's the only thing I love and excel at. Its all I'm good at. It my only chance to BE SOMEBODY, and seeing myself spiraling downward is making me severly depressed.

I really need some cheering up/advice please

thanks for your time,
- Hirschberger
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
Hey pit. I have a major problem.

I'm 16, and I play baseball. I am a pitcher, and over the years, have become quite the stud (I'm a modest guy, huh?). I have thrown $1000s away on pitching lessons, and they have paid off quite well.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

I think we're living the same life. I sucked ass all last year and I might not even make the team this year even though I definitely deserve to.
Quote by Jaymz_515

Well, not me PERSONALLY, but my parents.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
work hard, don't give up, no MLB pitcher ever got to where he was without trying hard... except of course Dennis Eckersley , had to be done
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
inb4fap

Could just be jitters. When you're with your coach, it doesn't matter how you pitch because an outcome isn't riding on it, so you relax and pitch naturally, whereas it sounds like when you're pitching on the team you're getting yourself all worked up and overthinking things, thus affecting your ability to just relax and do what you do. Try meditating and clearing your mind before you go out, and just treat it like another session with coach.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Hirschberger
Well, not me PERSONALLY, but my parents.

It's not the idea of money, it was the whole "thrown" thing. Pitcher. etc.

Perhaps it was only funny for a second.

Only to me.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

I'm actually getting bored of the sport. I realized the most fun I had on a travel team was dicking around at the hotels and stuff. Playing for the school, I'm just worried about looking good in front of the coaches and thinking of the mountain of homework I have to finish AFTER game/practice.
k.i.s.s.
keep it simple, stupid

just chill and don't think too much. someday you'll get back into your groove.
pandora.com for kick ass free radio.
^LOL I love that phrase! I actually write it on the bottom of my hat and on the handle of my bat so I remember to just chill when I'm on the field.

Hey man, great to see another baseball freak on UG!

This sounds exactly like what happened with me over the year. As the seasons went (high school spring-fall ball) my hitting started to go downhill. Batting is my only hope of ever doing anything in baseball. I've accepted the fact that I probably won't get to fullfill my dream of playing in the pros but I do know that I could get through college with it.

To me this sounds like you are trying WAY too hard to be good in games. When you are with a coach in a controlled environment it is easy to be relaxed. When you get out on the mound in an actual game though, the hardest part of the game is to stay composed so that your game doesn't suffer. Instead of standing on the mound and thinking "I need to do this, this, this, this, and this, and I will throw a perfect pitch" just let muscle memory take over. It is the ONLY way to be a successful baseball player. Hear nothing, think nothing. See, feel, and react is what the game is all about.

Also, did you play in a fall league? If you did, did you see your game suffering as that went along as well?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Nov 16, 2008,
i have the same problem, dreams...etc. etc.
i'm not a pitcher but i tore my labrum at the beginning of last season that required two surgeries and forced me to sit out all year. i'm still in therapy and the chance of me ever getting to play like i used to is slim to none. this is my senior year and before my injury i was getting letters and scholarship opportunities like crazy but i doubt i'll be able to play like normal again so it kind of went down the drain.
-but stick with it, keep throwing... it'll come around to normal in time.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
ur parent's paid $1000's of dollars for pitching lessons? they must really love u...
Quote by Tire Me.
Steroids.

It's the only option.

A lil HGH is like taking a shot of LOL.

It's just good.

I used to do HGH
Here's a pic of my balls
Maybe you're not REALLY a baseball guy, ever seen Happy Gilmore?
Sig space available, give me some praise
You need to start relaxing, you just start over thinking in situations and that causes you to tense up, if you watch most good pitchers they try and stay calm and relaxed, why? If they pitch while tense they loose their technique and choke. Try squeezing the ball for a few seconds and then release that tension, normally works for me.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
RELAX!!!!!!! just focus on mechanics in practice. And when u get in a game just RELAX, and focus on your catcher. Its just u and him. Dont think too much just roc n fire!!!
Quote by Jaymz_515
It's not the idea of money, it was the whole "thrown" thing. Pitcher. etc.

Perhaps it was only funny for a second.

Only to me.

I was laughing at the fact that he paid 1000's of dollars to learn how to throw a ball.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM

I'm sorry!, but seriously why don't you just ditch the pre-season comp & work on your pitching instead?
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by Garou1911
inb4fap

Yes, masterbating will keep you strong metaly and physicaly..Do it!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
I've actually noticed something about baseball and music that I find quite amusing and interesting.

Most sports in the world require a constant level of intensity that is borderline rage. Football, soccer, hockey, and even basketball to name a few. They all require you to be amped up and on a constant adrenaline rush to be great. Listening to some high energy music tends to help this.

On the other hand, when you're playing baseball you need to be chilled out. CCC-Calm, Cool, and Collected. Baseball is a game of beauty purely because of the fluidity of it. The more fluid you are, the better chances you have of being great. Staying calm and in the moment is what it is all about, and I've actually found that listening to really chilled out, relaxing music helps my game out way more than hard rock.

Just something interesting, and expressing my point, as well as everyone else's.

Just chill, man

Lol, except don't smoke. That's bad for athletes and people in general

EDIT: I actually sing to myself sometimes on the field. Not necessarily out loud, but in my head I'll sing some really relaxing and chilled out stuff. Beach music, reaggae, etc.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by Natrone

Lol, except don't smoke. That's bad for athletes and people in general

and illegal <_< >_>
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Focus on what you gotta do and stick to it, nothing else, tune out everything else.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
dude...just chill and play ball. if you are good it will show
Quote by Natrone

Most sports in the world require a constant level of intensity that is borderline rage. Football, soccer, hockey, and even basketball to name a few. They all require you to be amped up and on a constant adrenaline rush to be great. Listening to some high energy music tends to help this.

This actually works!, I always used to load my MP3 player full of RATM, Metallica, Trivium ect. before I went to play footy (rugby league, You pommies better not knock it, just cause your team can't win a world cup!)I always played better when I did this!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by Hirschberger
...Baseball is my life. It's the only thing I love and excel at. Its all I'm good at. It my only chance to BE SOMEBODY...

Idk if I'm the first to notice this, but if baseball is your life and the only thing you love WHY ARE YOU ON A GUITAR WEBSITE?!

Sorry for that. My inner asshole keeps escaping today.
Seriously, maybe you are just nervous and can't play as well. It happens to me on bass sometimes. Bottom line- Spend another month at this, and if things don't start shaping up spend less time on it and more time studying or whatever
Whats a sig?
@Garou1911: I know it has something to do with game slippage as I call it. I know you are right here because when I'm with my coach everything is chill and I'm having fun playing the game I love. However, when I play for my school, I feel like I have to play my best, so every ball that I throw pisses me off.

@restless_thrash: I feel this is a major factor as well. I am so determined to get to my goals that I end up trying way to hard and messing up.

@Jaymz_515: lol now icwatudidthar

@grind: I rly like that saying. can I steal it?

@Natrone: I KNOW I am trying way to hard, I just don't want to dissapoint my coaches and myself. I have such high expectation s for myself afterall. I really need to just take your advice and just play my game and not think about anything. Just see, feel, and react.

and yes I did play in a fall scout league. it was more of a summer/fall thing. that is where is pitched 25 innings and gave up a run. I pitched really well throughout the season, but at times I noticed I was struggling with my control and the pitch count. I was going 3-2 to a lot of batters, and as a result, could only throw 3-4 innings (pitch count is 50). I realize now I was trying way too hard.

@lostey: that sucks dude. I know this is wierd coming from me, but don't give up just because the odds are against you. look at roger maris. He was hated by almost every New Yorker becuase they didn't want some redneck nobody to beat Mickey Mantle (my favorite baseball player btw ) in the race for 61 home runs. He didn't give up, and he ended up winning in the end. so don't give up, ok?

@K Dizzle: it is 100 bucks a lesson, but the guy is incredible, and the best thing is he has incredible major league hookups. He helps many guys get into the majors.

@ross1234: no I know I am. yes I've seen happy gilmore lol

@Switchmunky7: I do need to relax. I am all tense up on the mound because I have way too high expectations for myself.

@Notrone: Yeah, exept for me I love listening to pump-up music like RATM. it gets me pumped up to pitch.
yeah and I don't smoke. I am a little out of shape though. I have shitty stamina, yet I'm a pitcher lol. I need to get in shape
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Oheric
Idk if I'm the first to notice this, but if baseball is your life and the only thing you love WHY ARE YOU ON A GUITAR WEBSITE?!

Sorry for that. My inner asshole keeps escaping today.
Seriously, maybe you are just nervous and can't play as well. It happens to me on bass sometimes. Bottom line- Spend another month at this, and if things don't start shaping up spend less time on it and more time studying or whatever

I love music and guitar as well, but I know I like baseball more.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
@Garou1911: I know it has something to do with game slippage as I call it. I know you are right here because when I'm with my coach everything is chill and I'm having fun playing the game I love. However, when I play for my school, I feel like I have to play my best, so every ball that I throw pisses me off.

@restless_thrash: I feel this is a major factor as well. I am so determined to get to my goals that I end up trying way to hard and messing up.

@Jaymz_515: lol now icwatudidthar

@grind: I rly like that saying. can I steal it?

@Natrone: I KNOW I am trying way to hard, I just don't want to dissapoint my coaches and myself. I have such high expectation s for myself afterall. I really need to just take your advice and just play my game and not think about anything. Just see, feel, and react.
and yes I did play in a fall scout league. it was more of a summer/fall thing. that is where is pitched 25 innings and gave up a run. I pitched really well throughout the season, but at times I noticed I was struggling with my control and the pitch count. I was going 3-2 to a lot of batters, and as a result, could only throw 3-4 innings (pitch count is 50). I realize now I was trying way too hard.

@lostey: that sucks dude. I know this is wierd coming from me, but don't give up just because the odds are against you. look at roger maris. He was hated by almost every New Yorker becuase they didn't want some redneck nobody to beat Mickey Mantle (my favorite baseball player btw ) in the race for 61 home runs. He didn't give up, and he ended up winning in the end. so don't give up, ok?

@K Dizzle: it is 100 bucks a lesson, but the guy is incredible, and the best thing is he has incredible major league hookups. He helps many guys get into the majors.

@ross1234: no I know I am. yes I've seen happy gilmore lol

@Switchmunky7: I do need to relax. I am all tense up on the mound because I have way too high expectations for myself.

@Notrone: Yeah, exept for me I love listening to pump-up music like RATM. it gets me pumped up to pitch.
yeah and I don't smoke. I am a little out of shape though. I have shitty stamina, yet I'm a pitcher lol. I need to get in shape

When your game starts going downhill over time, and you've been playing for a LONG period of consecutive months, the best thing to do is actually either take a break from the game for a little or play on a dick-around team against crap players. It helps massively with the confidence when you rape everything in sight

Oh, and the music thing? Well...you ARE a pitcher. Weird bunch, you people
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Meh, just play through it. Everybody has their ups and downs. Baseball is just a game of streaks, you need consistent fundamentals.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
If you can, have a coach, parent, or local pedophile videotape you while you throw. My school does that all the time. During pitchers and catcher, our Varsity coach videotapes our pitchers to analyze what they're doing right, what they're doing wrong, and what can and should be fixed. Same can be done for you. Losing 7-10 mph on your speed shouldn't be happening unless: A. There's something wrong with your release point B. You injured yourself, probably elbow or rotator cuff. I mean, honestly, you really shouldn't be losing speed off your pitches. Maybe it's the mound? As a catcher, pitchers often ask me for advice on what they're doing, or how they're pitching. Your catcher should be able to help you. At least let him know your concerned, and work with him, and hopefully he'll be able to figure out what you're doing wrong.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.