Page 1 of 3
So me and my friends are playing a school gig in around a month, and we have to get some songs for it. we are looking for songs that can pump up the audience and some slow songs like Fade to black. Some of the sub genres would be like Metal and alternative rock.

What are some songs do you guys recommend that we play at the dance?
Why would you play Fade to black at a dance?
Quote by Draken
lulz is a stupid term used by rectal dwelling wart children.
Play some 80's hair metal classics ie. small town girl, heat of the moment

inb4 i cum blood
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
But its about suicide =/ Id pick a slow love song.
Quote by Draken
lulz is a stupid term used by rectal dwelling wart children.
Not metal. Classic and modern rock and pop that everyone knows maybe? Walk this Way, some old disco souped up some. Just keep it universally likeable. Metal doesn't tend to be universally likeable, except to guitarists.
you got to play some rock n" roll, something bluesy, like aerosmith, elvis, or Chuck Berry
Remember to pick a wide variety of songs so you appeal to everyone (since it's a school dance). You dont wanna **** this time up for them with bad music/music they may not like
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
I'd say "You Never Can Tell" - Chuck Berry

Granted, it's not rock/metal, but it's a good guitar-driven song that people can dance to. I reckon you're going to have a hard time finding metal songs that people will want to dance to. Mosh, sure - but dance, unlikely.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Dean Cadillac
Gibson SG
Custom-made V

Amp:
Randall RM100M

FX:
Boss TU2 Tuner
Jim Dunlop Zakk Wylde Sig. Crybaby Wah
Digitech "The Weapon"
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Digitech Synth Wah
Digitech Whammy
You definitely don't want to do Fade to Black at a school dance. Battle of the Bands, definitely. Aerosmith, Journey, Kansas, maybe some 90's guitar pop. You've got to remember that few people going to a dance will want to hear metal.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Van Halen- Hot for Teacher?
Haha I'm just kidding, but what about Metallica's ACTUAL love song
Metallica- Nothing Else Matters
Whats a sig?
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

Yeah... you're REALLY out of luck here. Most kids these days will be asking for their juke music.
Play "I Saw Her Standing There" or "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", fairly easy to learn and actually a really good dance song.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Song 2 - Blur

Easy and heavy(at least in the chorus)
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
im sorry but thats not going to work. everyone will hate you becaues they go to the dance to hear music with a beat suitable for grinding girls asses. and for slow songs they expect cheezy songs with the words like "Love," "miss" and "gone," accompanied by their favorite guitar trick, the open G to open D chord combo.
"Fade To Black?" Seriously?

It's a school dance, not Monsters of Rock. Play like... Goo Goo Dolls, 3 Doors Down, Matthew Sweet, Coldplay kind of stuff. Maybe get harder, like Audioslave or AC/DC or Nirvana for a couple of songs. Be sure to play some classics, as well - "Wonderful Tonight" should do.
Quote by LabradorBassist
Better then no gig at all.

True.

Oh, and when i was in high school, they played a bunch of gay rap songs at school dances, I always thought that bands playing at dances kind of died, and were replaced with crappy D.J's.
Ladies and Gentlemen-Saliva
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Quote by vash_08
Lamest. Gig. Ever.

All the girls that got stood up need lovin to.
ESP KH-202 emg-hz
ESP KH-502, duncan custom 5, duncan 59
1978 alverez acoustic
Peavey valveking 100 head
line 6 4-12 cabinet
EVH flange, wilson q-wah, boss chorus ensemble, dunlop brick power supply
Don't be a pussy and play some Slayer.

Angel of Death, Disciple, and Raining Blood should do the trick. For a slow song do South of Heaven or Through the Fire and Flames.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Only In Dreams- Weezer

play some funk, a couple metal songs, a lot of pop-punk songs (cause that's what people like), AC/DC, etc.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
how much are you getting paid to play, and i bet youll have to watch your profanity

i agree with vash_08
Quote by vash_08
True.

Oh, and when i was in high school, they played a bunch of gay rap songs at school dances, I always thought that bands playing at dances kind of died, and were replaced with crappy D.J's.

Generally, that's the case.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
I'm the guitarist for said gig, and I was thinking of some stuff like Colorblind by Counting Crows (my reference would actually be the BTBAM cover version) as one of the slow songs, and maybe Runnin' Wild by Airbourne as something to get them pumped a bit?
EDIT:
Quote by shadesofanger
Don't be a pussy and play some Slayer.

Angel of Death, Disciple, and Raining Blood should do the trick. For a slow song do South of Heaven or Through the Fire and Flames.
I suggested Raining Blood just to be a dick, but Andy (LabradorBassist) disagrees...
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Nov 16, 2008,
i'd say definitely go with some weezer.

and if it were me, i'd go with i believe in a thing called love by the darkness
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
Dont wanna miss a thing-aerosmith as a slow song
and jump as a get pumped up song
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
play something slow n easy. you want them to unwind n such.

I suggest

Take the time- Dream Theater
Battery- Metallica
Caprice 25- that italian dude
even if you guys play good, if you play metal at a school dance your gonna get ALOT of negative vibes from everyone.
Mr Jones - Counting Crows <---its just fun

and, the generic Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Page 1 of 3