Page 1 of 2
Warning- quite long. (how many times have I used that one? )

Okay, so I'm looking for a Les Paul. It's come down to this
Do I buy a Les Paul Studio (about 1400 CAD) and pimp it out the way I want it (within possible reason), or do I build a Les Paul?

These are the main specs I'l looking at:

Body:
Top: Carved Maple
Back: Mahogany
Binding: Single-ply Black
Finish: Alpine White

Neck:
Wood: Mahogany
Profile: '59 Rounded/60’s Slim (undecided, slightly indifferent)
Fingerboard: Ebony
Frets: 22
Inlays: White Pearl “Custom Block” (I could settle for the "Standard" inlays that come on the LP Studio)
Fingerboard Binding: Single-ply black

Hardware:
TOM/Stoptail, blah blah..
Grover Keystone Tuners
Plastic bits: Black
Metal/Hardware: Gold

Now, minus the tuners (easily replaceable), the binding in all respects (which I really do want), the inlay style and the fact I want the headstock custom (painted white + a name + a gold pearl dove), the LP Studio has all this.

My question to you is- do you think it is worth it/possible to add at least the black body binding to an already finished body and sand down the headstock for refinishing?

The plus side to buying the LP studio- no mangy guesswork, just a little retrofitting.
The dowside- very stock, probably hard to change what I want.

The plus side to building my own LP- totally custom, I can use custom inlays I was looking at, customize the headstock/the whole guitar, do whatever I want to her.
The obvious downside- it's a rather crushing task, the binding would probably give me some trouble, the neck would be a complete bitch to make.

Thoughts/opinions/advice?
Thanks UG!

tl;dr- I want a Les Paul. The Studio is the best option, but it has many features I want to change. Buy one and stop being a little bitch, or build my own?

EDIT: Forgot. I'm good enough with wood to be able to cut, glue the two peices and route the body. I am unsure as far as my skills go to make the neck workable and/or do a good job with the routing for the binding/inlays (the latter, I could probably learn with just a little practice on scrap wood though.)
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Nov 16, 2008,
Build it.

Why are you putting on a maple cap if you are doing an alpine white finish?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Build it.

Why are you putting on a maple cap if you are doing an alpine white finish?

Tonal purposes.
Even on Gibson LPs that have solid finishes, the use maple caps, they're just not flamed (at least I think they're not?)
Uh oh...

*senses tone from wood debate*

I'm staying out of these from now on. as far as I know, Gibson's maple is generally figured whether painted over or not, but on their stained models I think they keep more figured ones aside, obviously.
------

Shwiggity.
^Sounds reasonable. Id say if you gunna put it on (the cap) then make it yours, use a flame or something, stain it white etc make it a real custom build.
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Quote by deftonesordie
Uh oh...

I'm staying out of these from now on. as far as I know, Gibson's maple is generally figured whether painted over or not, but on their stained models I think they keep more figured ones aside, obviously.

That's the next topic that's bugging me.

Big leaf maple, curly maple, soft, hard..

I had no idea what to choose!
Quote by Themitch
^Sounds reasonable. Id say if you gunna put it on (the cap) then make it yours, use a flame or something, stain it white etc make it a real custom build.

You know.. if it would turn out well, a flamed white top would be freakin' sex.

This, with more black i think.

effin-a.
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Quote by Stratoblaster73
Tonal purposes.
Even on Gibson LPs that have solid finishes, the use maple caps, they're just not flamed (at least I think they're not?)

Tonal purposes?

Whatever man, it is your money, not mine...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Tonal purposes?

Whatever man, it is your money, not mine...

A half inch thick piece of maple will make the guitar sound very different. If he does decide to go with a solid finish and a non figured piece of maple the price difference should be very small.
It might sound different, but I don't think it would matter.

A I said, his money, not mine.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by pielover375
If you are no good with a router, you can buy fantastic paul bodies on Warmoth.com. That's where I got my iceman.

Yeah, I considered that.
But if I was going to have them make it, I'd may as well get them to paint (or now, its seems, stain). I'd rather practice on spare bits of wood for good measure, and build the body myself rather than give Warmoth 600-700 to make it for me

Quote by Themitch

This, with more black i think.

effin-a.

"more black"?

And does anyone know how easy/hard it would be to stain the maple white?
I'm thinking I'd need something like this and this

Quote by Øttər
It might sound different, but I don't think it would matter.

A I said, his money, not mine.

I respect your opinion man. It's just I'm going for the "classic" LP tone, so why not build it the way they've done it for 50+ years?
Quote by Stratoblaster73
I respect your opinion man. It's just I'm going for the "classic" LP tone, so why not build it the way they've done it for 50+ years?

Totally true man. Really what I meant was with or without the cap it will sound good. I think if you want the classic LP you should do it.

When he says more black, I think he meant with the black binding.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Totally true man. Really what I meant was with or without the cap it will sound good. I think if you want the classic LP you should do it.

When he says more black, I think he meant with the black binding.

Ahh, that makes sense

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also mentioned black plastics (Pickup rings, selector switch R/T thingy, knobs, etc..)
Undecided on the pickguard though.
^ that would look sweet! build it
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by 420 FREAK
A half inch thick piece of maple will make the guitar sound very different. If he does decide to go with a solid finish and a non figured piece of maple the price difference should be very small.

*shakes head*

Do I need to post up the experiment where tonewoods in electrics are proven to have practically 0 part in the tone of the guitar?
Quote by bv310
^ that would look sweet! build it

Thanks man, hoping that it turns out!

Quote by Mitchell?
*shakes head*

Do I need to post up the experiment where tonewoods in electrics are proven to have practically 0 part in the tone of the guitar?

I'm not going to change my mind unless this is the Holy Grail of guitar information, but could I see it, please?
^ Making guitars out of different woods doesn't really affect the tone much.

More precisely, making a guitar out of certain wood will not make it better or worse for any style of music.

An all maple guitar or an all mahogany guitar would sound different, but if they both had the same hardware, they would both sound just fine for any particular genre.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Mitchell?
*shakes head*

I'd like to see that, in my experience wood has played a big part in the sound of my guitars.
Quote by Øttər
^ Making guitars out of different woods doesn't really affect the tone much.

More precisely, making a guitar out of certain wood will not make it better or worse for any style of music.

An all maple guitar or an all mahogany guitar would sound different, but if they both had the same hardware, they would both sound just fine for any particular genre.

Would be so heavy it's not even funny. That was Les Paul's origninal plan
EDIT: Or was that an all maple guitar?
**** me, I can't remember. You get what I'm saying.
So if there is no difference, why don't the waves line up?

Quote by Stratoblaster73
Would be so heavy it's not even funny. That was Les Paul's origninal plan

They are all mahogany... except one thin piece of maple, which is heavier than mahogany, isn't it?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
So if there is no difference, why don't the waves line up?

They are all mahogany... except one thin piece of maple, which is heavier than mahogany, isn't it?

Yup, I mixed the two around, see my edit above
^ I see.

Yeah, an all maple guitar would rape the spine of players.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Hey, I'm just sayin'...

I think people put too much weight on a guitar's 'tonewood', when really in an electric guitar, it's mostly the strings, hardware, pickups, and amp.

If you set two guitars up exactly the same, the only difference being the body wood, I think a huge majority of people couldn't hear a bit of difference.
^ Agreed.

Although they would sound different, it wouldn't matter.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Mitchell?
Hey, I'm just sayin'...

I think people put too much weight on a guitar's 'tonewood', when really in an electric guitar, it's mostly the strings, hardware, pickups, and amp.

If you set two guitars up exactly the same, the only difference being the body wood, I think a huge majority of people couldn't hear a bit of difference.

Hey man, maybe you're right. I honestly don't like debating technical things like this, it hurts my brain.

I know that the different woods wouldn't render my LP totally useless, it's just the way I want it.

I'm a traditional kinda guy, and if they used maple tops on a mahogany back, then that's what I'll do to.
I think the studios are all mahogany either way mahogany can be pretty heavy and so is maple. I still think the wood affects a guitar's sound alder and ash are more similar than other woods a better test I think would have been mahogany and alder but it's just an opinion and some people can probably hear it better than others.
If you built guitars out of two completely different woods, and then gave them the exact same hardware/pickups/amp and such, would they both be OK for a specific genre though?

Example:

Maple guitar with 3 singles coils VS Mahogany guitar with 3 single coils,

both good for blues, no?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
If you built guitars out of two completely different woods, and then gave them the exact same hardware/pickups/amp and such, would they both be OK for a specific genre though?

Example:

Maple guitar with 3 singles coils VS Mahogany guitar with 3 single coils,

both good for blues, no?

Of course.
But then you consider other things, just for the hell of it.
Which is a more porus wood? Which is heavier? How does each take finishing? What abuse could it take? etc..
That is what I thought.

So while wood may change the tone, it won't really matter in the end.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by deftonesordie
Uh oh...

Well, he was right

I just wanna clear this up with everybody now:

I accept that the guitar wood I choose to use won't be the defining material of my guitars tone, nor will it change it from a blues guitar to a metal guitar.
Maple with Mahogany is the just choice of woods I decided that I want to use, I don't claim that that is a better combination than any other in the world.

That is all.
BOT, How is the build coming?

EDIT: Oh, it's only been 4 hours...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
BOT, How is the build coming?

EDIT: Oh, it's only been 4 hours...

Once I get some cash in hand, I'll begin gathering everything.
I'll keep updating this thread as I go.
Page 1 of 2