I searched but didnt find much info about this..if there is a thread about this please tell me and i will check it out...I am looking into getting a bass for Christmas. I play guitar and will stick with that as my main instrument more than likely, I just thought it'd be fun to pick up bass on the side, help improve my rhythm and timing possibly. Anyway, I cant decide whether I want to go with a 4 or 5 string... Can anybody point out some pros and cons of each to help me decide?

Thanks to all for any help
Probably best to start out on a four string.

There's not much call for 5 strings as it's rare for a band to use them.
Pros of a 5-String: Even if you don't use the B very much, it'll be there if you do need it.
Pros of a 4-String: Probably more variety available.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Look up the tab to songs you want to play? How many incorporate 5 strings? Chances are none to hardly any, so go with a 4 string. If you decide you want to make bass your main instrument, then perhaps it is time to upgrade. Until then a 4 string will work fine.
Play dropped tunings? If so, 5. Small hands? Completely and ABSOLUTELY sure you'll NEVER use the lower notes? 4.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I used to be of the 4 string belief, but the more I play, the more I want that low B.

I'm with Ben, get the 5er.

And if you have smaller hands, a 5 is even better because of what Ben said--Economy of motion.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Play dropped tunings? If so, 5. Small hands? Completely and ABSOLUTELY sure you'll NEVER use the lower notes? 4.

NO.

NO NO NO.

That low B is positively, absolutely NOT a licence to never down or drop tune. There are plenty of songs that would be harder to play if you simply left the bass in B standard rather than retune.

And small hands is no excuse. If you have good technique, you'll be fine. Hell, 5 string necks are barely that much wider than 4 string necks on the most part.
Probably most of what I'll play is classic rock..but occassionally I will dive into some metal...Usually with my guitar though I dont go with any songs below drop C... Is there any difference in string spacing between 4 and 5 stings?
If you can get a nice thin necked 5, and feel the B will be useful, why not? I started with a 4 string, and had no interest in getting a 5 string, but a great used Korean made squier 5 string came across my lap, and I got used to the B really quick.

One thing I like is that it's standardizing my fingerstyle plucks, in that now I play the same pluck style on the E as I do on the A, since now with a B string, my E strokes end up resting on the B, just like they do on the other 3 strings. I havn't used the B very much yet, but like others said, its there if I need it.

It IS an extra string to mute though...if you can get a thin necked 5er and feel you will use it, why not. If you get a 4 string though, make sure its a bass you will keep for at least 5 years, IE, be preparded to spend at least $500...anything else is a waste of money if you are surte you are going to stick with bass.
well there's the issue of reading tabs for 4/5 strings...it confuses me all the time because i have a 4 string and tabs for 5 strings always throw me off at some point. might just be my lack of skill.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
4 is easier and cheaper to get your replacement strings. other than that? it's fine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i say get a 5 string. the strings are closer together so it you be easier coming over from guitar or if you have small hands. and the necks are really not much bigger. my 5 string is about the same as my 4 in width at the nut. even if you don't use the B string which i find useful most of the time it is there if you eve want it.
you'll get the same quality guitar for a cheaper price if you get a 4 string I think.

The cheapest 5 string I've seen is a JimDeacon at about £170 or something?

Personally, I heid for 5 strings. I've never really played one properly so It's really a predudice on my part - They remind me of the hordes of shitty "metal" bands that used to turn up at my local gig venue every over 14's night.

One advantage of a 4 string is it makes it easier to sight-learn from the guitarist.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I'd say go with the 4 string. You'll have more to choose from starting off. And really the only difference is you'll have the "B" string if you really need it, but less of a selection.

And that low B makes a lot of difference, IMO. And only for good. As I have reiterated many times, it isn't about the low notes- it about having more notes in one hand position.

And to whoever said it's easier to sight read from a guitarist with a 4 string- again, it's ALL IN YOUR HEAD. It really isn't that hard to sight read from a guitar with a 5 string at all.
Wow, massive support for five strings here. I'm surprised.

Personally, i would say get a four to start, and then move on to a five when you feel the need. The bass is traditionally a four stringed instrument, so may as well start with the basic version first and then move up.

If you start on a five, your development may suffer as there will be less of a need to move around the neck.
I would go with the 5. You have the all the range (down to an A without serious retuning) and you can find the notes easily. Also, people are denying economy of movement. Anyone heard of capos? This will effectively put the bass in <whatever note you capo it at> Standard with an extra high string. You could even go to Drop A then capo it. However if you are getting a 5-string, get one with smaller string spacing, so it will be easier to play a 4-string when you want to.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I for one just bought myself a 5 string this weekend... But best go with the four cause no one realy NEEDs a 5string... they just WANT a 5 string...
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Quote by GNR_Duff_rules
I for one just bought myself a 5 string this weekend... But best go with the four cause no one realy NEEDs a 5string... they just WANT a 5 string...

Yeah, nobody needs extra range and economy of motion, what an idiotic idea.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor