So I read in another thread about a guy who's 60 watt tube amp couldn't keep up with his band because it wasn't loud enough, while somebody else said that their 50-watt amp drowned out their band at half volume.

Now my Classic 50 is good for band practice at around halfway, but I've cranked it many times and it wasn't nearly as loud as I expected. My hearing isn't damaged! But it still doesn't have as much volume as it should (as far as I know), and the headroom is lacking too... the clean channel breaks up just before halfway, and it's not a very nice breakup. Is this an issue with the power tubes, or something else?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
How much volume were you expecting? The rule of nthumb for watts to volume is 10x the wattage = Twice the volume.
Quote by JoePerry4life
How much volume were you expecting? The rule of nthumb for watts to volume is 10x the wattage = Twice the volume.

I had expected ear-splitting volume with it cranked, and I could tolerate it if I was standing as far away as I could get with the guitar still plugged in.

EDIT: ^^ And yes, I'm saving up for new tubes and new pickups, my tone is at the point where I just have to make some refinements to make it ideal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Well with valve amps, the volume difference changes dramatically between 0 - 6 (for example) and after that you don't hear much change in volume, but what's happening is the tonal qualities of the amp come flooding out.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
well I don't know how loud it is compared to another classic 50, maybe you should go try a different one out at a store to see if there is a difference in volume. It might be the volume pot also causing the problem.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
theres a certain limit where the amp reaches max volume and just distorts and get more gainy from there.. probably around 7.. nevertheless a 50 watt tube should be able to keep up with a band with no problems and should be sufficient for gigs with up to 600 people.

try changing the tubes or checking the volume pot in the guitar as well as the amp
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I'd replace the tubes, you should be able to keep up with a drummer and stay clean with a 50 watt amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^I'll try another one, if I can find it. The store where I bought it has a literal mountain of used gear, and I found my Peavey at the bottom I don't know how likely it is that I can get my hands on another one to try.

I'm probably going to just buy a nice quad of JJ EL84s and see how that works. The tubes currently in there are crap anyway.

EDIT: Kevin I can keep up with a drummer easily enough, but the cleans aren't perfectly clean.. they get fairly muddy actually. I think the pickups on my Artcore are contributing to the problem as well since they're ceramic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

You've got G12L speakers in the amp. Apparently they are low efficiency speakers with a small magnet that breaks up early. That's good if you want to get some nice overdrive happening, especially at lower volumes if your amp is loud (ie. 50watt tube), but the tradeoff is that you may lose some headroom.

http://stonemarmot.com/rants/2008/11/07/celestion-g12l-35-%E2%80%93-an-underrated-speaker/

Try speaker changes after the tube change btw. Much cheaper that way. G12L's are meant to be decent speakers anyway for a mid rangey classic marshall sound.
Wow, that's the first time I've seen anything about those speakers. Mine actually have an Ampeg logo on them, that's how I realized they weren't stock in the first place. They actually sound fantastic with some distortion.. my amp gets that nice marshall-y gain. It's just my cleans that seem to suffer at high volumes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Once an amp goes over the volume hump to where it's pretty damn loud, it doesn't get much louder at all, you can just crank it more and more for more saturation.

A 50watt tube amp with 1 speaker should be able to hurt your ears, dunno whats up there. It's not going to have much raw aggressive punching force because it's not a modern amp and it has an open back, but it's should be loud. If it sounds unreasonably quiet, you might have a tube problem, but if it's still cutting for band practice, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe your band just plays quiet...

EDIT: the pickups, if they are ceramic aren't they problem, ceramic pickups tend to have a higher output than AlNiCo (aluminum, nickel, copper) pickups.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Nov 16, 2008,
^Haha, my current band is pretty moderate but in my last band there was another guitarist besides me and the singer played on occasion, and the drummer always played loudly. I definitely had to turn it up to about halfway when I practiced with them.

I'm not looking for a modern voicing or I wouldn't have bought this amp in the first place. That does make sense about the volume hump, but it just seems early on compared to other amps I've played.

EDIT: You sure? My neck pickup is incredibly muddy on my clean channel when its cranked, especially when the tone isn't maxed out. The way mine sounds is reminding me of crappy ceramic pickups like the SD Invader...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by stradivari310
Wow, that's the first time I've seen anything about those speakers. Mine actually have an Ampeg logo on them, that's how I realized they weren't stock in the first place. They actually sound fantastic with some distortion.. my amp gets that nice marshall-y gain. It's just my cleans that seem to suffer at high volumes.

Yeh speakers are often underrated in overall tone of an amp. I'm looking for some speakers at the moment for a 212 to pair with a JTM30 and it sucks cause i'm in Australia. Not much to choose from and overpriced at that.
My DC-5 on 2 into a Recto Cab was like a DC-3 (35 watt EL84 head) plugged into a 1960B on 10.
Quote by stradivari310
^Haha, my current band is pretty moderate but in my last band there was another guitarist besides me and the singer played on occasion, and the drummer always played loudly. I definitely had to turn it up to about halfway when I practiced with them.

I'm not looking for a modern voicing or I wouldn't have bought this amp in the first place. That does make sense about the volume hump, but it just seems early on compared to other amps I've played.

EDIT: You sure? My neck pickup is incredibly muddy on my clean channel when its cranked, especially when the tone isn't maxed out. The way mine sounds is reminding me of crappy ceramic pickups like the SD Invader...

I wasn't sure if you bought that amp because it's a tube amp that works well with pedals and you might be looking for a more modern voicing (which is what UG tends to recommend over 99% of solid state amps), or you were actually looking for a classic tone.

Try a fender hotrod or a real marshall JCM, holy focking volume hump!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio