I am being driven insane by the buzz of my amp. It's as loud as anything I can play. I know that the way the bass is facing the amp makes a difference, but what else will allow me to control this? Will distance count? Settings? Or am I just screwed until I get a new amp?
It could be from a number of things:

1. A ground loop formed in the amp (use the ground lift to stop this)
2. Problem with your basses electronics such as poor grounding, loose connection (check your bass to a schematic)
3. Cable, try a different cable.
4. The simplest one, if you have a jazz bass (or jazz style), when the pickups are not both on at the same level, you'll get single coil hum. When they're both on full, you won't get hum. A noise gate can get rid of the noise while you play with pickups on different volumes.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
It could be from a number of things:

1. A ground loop formed in the amp (use the ground lift to stop this)
2. Problem with your basses electronics such as poor grounding, loose connection (check your bass to a schematic)
3. Cable, try a different cable.
4. The simplest one, if you have a jazz bass (or jazz style), when the pickups are not both on at the same level, you'll get single coil hum. When they're both on full, you won't get hum. A noise gate can get rid of the noise while you play with pickups on different volumes.

I do have a Jazz bass, I think. One full pickup, then the two pickups that only go under 2 strings each, on different levels. So playing on the same volumes will most hopefully kill the buzz noise, if that's the problem?
Yeah hopefully, if the pick ups are wired in reverse to each other. It should be if the manufacturer has any sense.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Yeah hopefully, if the pick ups are wired in reverse to each other. It should be if the manufacturer has any sense.

Yeah, that worked. The volumes don't seem to exactly correspond (when they're both up all the way, I get the buzzing sound), but by messing with the settings a bit, I can completely eliminate the buzzing noise! Thanks a million dude!