I realized I can't play solos on my own for crap. They sound fricken awful. So I would like to ask you guys (If there is a thread you could direct me to that would be cool as well) what songs helped you improve your guitar playing.(lead playing)

What songs brought your lead playing to a new level? Which guitar leads are just fun as hell to play?

Please only mention solos you've actually learned!

Thanks all in advance

*edit*

Could you guys, when suggesting a solo, put the tab you used? So I don't get a wrong tab and get frustrated (thats my main problem)
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Nov 16, 2008,
The song that really made me learn proper use of vibrato and timing in a solo was Yellow Ledbetter, by Pearl Jam. The solo in that song is absolutely beautiful if you hit it right. Try working on your vibrato technique. That'll add a lot of emotion to your playing. Check out the song, though, if you're looking for a good solo to practice on.

"Gel" by Collective Soul really gave me a little jump start. The first part's pretty basic...double bends and such...but it's the last part - with the alternate picked lines - that got my fingers limbered up.
The Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin) solo is pretty fun to play.

The first few bits of Scarified by Racer X are pretty cool too.
There are 3 things that really helped my soloing more than anything else:

1 - Listening a whole lot more to other players, their phrasing, vibrato and all that kind of thing.

2 - Working on my own vibrato. Not just stylistically but in terms of control and knowing when to use what kind of vibrato.

3 - Listening to myself. Both technically and musically.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
tuxguitar (guitarpro like program) REALLY helped me with this. I have a long way to go still but my solos don't sound nearly as horrible as they did before using this religiously.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by mlfarrell
tuxguitar (guitarpro like program) REALLY helped me with this. I have a long way to go still but my solos don't sound nearly as horrible as they did before using this religiously.

How did that help you?
Really the songs that took my improv in whole new directions were;

Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream - First one I learned and the first one to make me make use of more than the high E string, and thank god it did. Also got me into Clapton, which, again, thank god it did.

Black Magic Woman - Santana - Taught me about bending to notes rather than hammering the note or picking it.

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin - Cliche, I know, but it really pushed my improv bending and tapping to their limits and forced them to get better.

Testify - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - gave me my current bluesy swagger, and taught me this nifty bend that I've never actually heard from anyone other than SRV and myself, which has since become a key part of my improv.

Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin - This gave me a bit of Jimmy Page's hard rock/blues-rock fusion.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Guitarfreak777
How did that help you?

it plays the song/solo note for note so you can see whats going on, and you can turn down the tempo so you can follow along at your own slow pace and learn the solos correctly.

Plus it has a built-in metronome. I hate using normal metronomes by themselves, but I really like the metronome feature of these programs
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Just make sure what you're using if four to five star rated. Also, it'll help you out a lot if you try and figure out some of the songs yourself
Just play as fast as you can and it'll sound good.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by irishstang_87
Just make sure what you're using if four to five star rated. Also, it'll help you out a lot if you try and figure out some of the songs yourself

Yeah, I have already tabbed a few songs for myself. But that is so time consuming, its easier to just look at a tab thats already made.
Guns n Roses - Patience has quite a nice eay solo in it with some slides, vibratos, hammer ons and pull offs in it, so you could prolly learn that, oh and playing along with the song helps your timing...ALOT
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
Quote by Callum_29
Guns n Roses - Patience has quite a nice eay solo in it with some slides, vibratos, hammer ons and pull offs in it, so you could prolly learn that, oh and playing along with the song helps your timing...ALOT

Old thread is old.

ps. How the **** did you find this thread in the first place? Like you do just search up on what you know and then post in that thread no matter how old it is or do you just go to the last page and work all the way to the front.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Old thread is old.

ps. How the **** did you find this thread in the first place? Like you do just search up on what you know and then post in that thread no matter how old it is or do you just go to the last page and work all the way to the front.

It was on the fourth page so no i dont work from the back, and really you're posting on the same thread too, if you found it, i prolly found it exactly the same way you did
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
Learning some basic solos that contain licks that can be applied to other songs would be a good place to start. If you like blues and classic rock, my suggestion would be to learn some Albert King and Johnny Winter licks. Try learning the solo for La Grange by ZZTop. Forget starting with Jimmy Page solos as they tend to be pretty reckless. Although I love Jimmy.
Last edited by danohat at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by Callum_29
It was on the fourth page so no i dont work from the back, and really you're posting on the same thread too, if you found it, i prolly found it exactly the same way you did

Lol no, when you post on an old thread it goes all the way to the top of the first page.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Quote by Callum_29

I only found it because it came up within a day of my last visiting. So no I didn't find it the same as you since you posted in it the thread got bumped up all the way to the top of the first page in the electric guitar subforum. So once again no I didn't find it the same way as you did