Here are the schematics that I'm following:

EMG-AB

Swineshead 2HB coil split

I'm wiring up a pair of Swineshead humbuckers to two push pull volume pots without any tone knobs, because I want to be able to split both neck and bridge for some single coil-like tones. No problem, right? Trouble: I also want to add the EMG AB after burner. Is it possible? Notice how the EMG circuit calls for the red lead from the pickups to be wired to the battery, then to the AB board, and then to the output jack. On the other hand, the Swineshead diagram has those red wired attached to the push-pull lugs.

Am I dreaming too big here, or can it be done? Also, I don't really NEED the boost circuit to be the EMG one, I just want a boost circuit in there. If that circuit won't work, is there one that you guys know of that would? Remember, it's gotta work with my push pull pot set up.

Any tips, circuit recommendation, or other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wire your pickups like the Swineshead diagram shows. Then here's how to install the After Burner.
1. Mount After Burner in your guitar or onto pickguard,
2. Disconnect & remove wire connecting between the tip terminal of output jack and volume pot.
3. Solder green wire of After Burner to tip terminal of output jack.
4. Solder white wire of After Burner to volume pot where old output jack wire was located.
5. Solder one black wire of After Burner to the casing of the volume pot then solder the other black wire to the sleeve terminal of the output jack.
6. Solder red wire of the After Burner to the red wire from the battery clip and cover connection with shrink wrap.
7. Solder black wire from battery clip to the third terminal of the output jack.
8. Connect 9v battery to battery clip.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 16, 2008,
Ya, I thought I might do them one after the other like that, but do you know if that will actually work or not; that was my question. If I remove those hot wires from the push pull switches, will the pickups still split when I engage the push pull pot?

The purpose of this thread was to avoid buying the afterburner and then having it not work. I could have always bought the thing and tried your suggestion, but I'm trying to save myself that extra $50 if it's not going to work
Quote by lumberjack
If I remove those hot wires from the push pull switches, will the pickups still split when I engage the push pull pot?

Yes it will work. You don't remove wires coming from the pickups going to the push pull pots. The swineshead pickups will be installed just like their diagram says (don't worry about the After Burner diagram). After the pickups are installed and working properly you can install the After Burner. The After Burner installs between the pots and the output jack. When the diagram refers to the red wires coming from the pickups it means EMG pickups since you're not using EMG pickups ignore the part about the red wire from the pickups. The red wire on EMG's connects to the battery. Swineshead pickups have a different color code than EMG's. Use the instructions I gave you in my first post (they are close to the original but I changed them a little) and it will work perfectly.
Ok awesome! Thanks a ton for the instructions, and if you can be bothered, I've got one more question: in those diagrams for the afterburner it mentions that if I hook it up to a passive pickup set, it will convert the high impedance output of passive pickups to low impedance. That will be changed back to a high impedance signal by the after burner before it gets sent to the amp, right? Regular amps are set up to amplify a high impedance signal, or so I thought, so it would have to amp it back up to high impedance, or else the pickups would be majorly cut in out put, yes? No?
I agree to get your advice from Swineshead dudes I got a pickup from there and it rocks man!!!! . Great advice and the pickup did exactly what it promised and more!!!!!
Quote by darren212
I agree to get your advice from Swineshead dudes I got a pickup from there and it rocks man!!!! . Great advice and the pickup did exactly what it promised and more!!!!!

Yeah brother! I got a set of X-Buckers after talking with the owner, who was actually the one to hand-wind them for me...what incredible service. Incredible pickups too! Only down-side was that the X-Buckers were so massively huge ( for teh Br00t3lz ) that I had to route out some wood in the pickup cavities...once they were in though good Lord the tone was smokin'. They're going to make an appearance on here with one of my projects soon!
Quote by lumberjack
Ok awesome! Thanks a ton for the instructions, and if you can be bothered, I've got one more question: in those diagrams for the afterburner it mentions that if I hook it up to a passive pickup set, it will convert the high impedance output of passive pickups to low impedance. That will be changed back to a high impedance signal by the after burner before it gets sent to the amp, right? Regular amps are set up to amplify a high impedance signal, or so I thought, so it would have to amp it back up to high impedance, or else the pickups would be majorly cut in out put, yes? No?
the signal going to the amp will be low impedance. this will give you a good, low-noise transfer of the signal. the amplitude of this signal will be greater than without the afterburner. life will be good.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
way to hijack my thread.

Anyways, you can find diagrams for DiMarzio pickups on their website....shocking, I know.

If you can't find exactly what you're looking for there, just convert the colors from this one:

click here