Alright, brand new here, need a question answered.

looked around this site awhile, and found what i was looking for: Pentatonic scales. My friend takes lessons, so he told me the basic theory of it and solos in general. This isn't just another question about how solos work, because i've seen enough of those. anyways, i was starting to learn them, and i wondered if anybody with a little experience with them could tell me the best or at least a good way to memorize them. Like learning just the scale itself, or learning the forms and then slowly apply them to the neck? any and all ideas would be great.

Oh yeah, i've also been around long enough to know not to go near the pit!
Good way is to draw or find a picture of the fretboard. Circle the notes in the scale, and observe the "shape" once you've done that. I found that helped me a lot
i usually learn them by actually doing them slowly and then every time a little bit faster.

(Not to learn great speeds) But mostly because after a while its automatically stuck in you're head.

I learned them through here http://www.worldguitar.com/start.html Then > Scales Then in the upper part you see alot of different ones.

Then click one and you can see the scale and you can let some other guitar play it so you can play it with that.

Now i've been long enough outside the pit gotta go back before i dry out.
/End help
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
First thing you should really do is learn to recognise the sound of the scale, independent of the guitar.

Think about it...how can you expect to play something on an instrument if you're not even sure what it's supposed to sound like?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
First thing you should really do is learn to recognise the sound of the scale, independent of the guitar.

Think about it...how can you expect to play something on an instrument if you're not even sure what it's supposed to sound like?

He can do the opposite. I know alot of people who start off by learning the 1st and 2nd shape and then are able to find the rest just by ear. I'm also talking about people who are new to guitar.
Quote by steven seagull

Yeah, I gotta disagree with the gull for once on this.
For me I found learning the shape first was pretty easy. I would say the finger number as I did it as opposed to the fret number. That helped get the shape and which finger went where. After I had the shape I then was able to 'hear' the pentatonic after a good amount of practice. At the same time I did my theory and filled in the shape wtih the actual notes and learned them.

Just a different approach that seemed to work ok for me....