Well, I guess I'll start off saying I want a better guitar, but I can't find one.
I own a Yamaha RGX121Z, it has amazing playability. But I was wondering about upgrading some of the parts to make it sound better. I know I want new pickups, and maybe new tuner heads? I wish I could afford a Floyd Rose for in it. What would you guys suggest doing to a guitar I really love? I play metal, my favorite band is Metallica, along with the likes of Megadeth and such. I was thinking of an EMG 81/85 set, that I could get for just over $200 off musicians friend... Like I said I really love this guitar, I can go into music stop and pickup a $3000 Gibson and I would still prefer this guitar, the neck is perfect, the action is perfect. I love it, but I would like to improve sound.

tl;dr= suggest some stuff to make my guitar better, while keeping the same guitar.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Get a new guitar.

Or a new amp if the one you have is shit (which I presume is).
ಠ_ಠ
I have a line 6 spider 3, which i love the sound of. the sound of the guitar isnt that bad, i just want to see how good it can get, cause I plan on keeping this guitar forever :P even after i buy a new one.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
The Line 6 Spider 3 amps suck. Honestly, that should be the first thing you upgrade. In your price range, I'd recommend getting a Roland Cube 30X, it fits metal very nicely (I have one).

The pups aren't going to make much difference unless you have a decent amp and your guitar is good. You say it plays nicely, which is good. If you like the tone when you play it unamplified, then you could get new pickups, but seriously, I STRONGLY recommend you get a new amp first.
Unfortunately, you gonna need a new amp if you want a better sound. Sure you can buy new pickups for 200, then probably if you get the professional installed, so 250 bucks later you only have a small difference. So I'd say sell your amp, and buy a new amp first.
Yes, Joe agrees with me ^

Trust us, the new amp is the right way to go. But to answer your original question, if you still don't like you tone after that, check out the DiMarzio D Activator pickups. If you switch to actives like the EMGs, you're going to have to do some extra work or pay more probably.
Alright, i didnt realize the amp was this hated, I mean, i like the range it has, as i play a WIDE variety of music... Anything you guys could recommend that would get the style-range of the line6? I just got this thing for my birthday in August, and I really like it. Plus i feel like I'd be letting my parents down if I wanted a new one after they paid so much for my birthday (birthdays are usually around 100 bucks worth of gift)
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Hm, I was also wondering, How hard is it to replace tuners? my guitar does go out of tune quickly. and If I got these replaced, could I use my one-way trem without it going out of tune?
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
Alright, i didnt realize the amp was this hated, I mean, i like the range it has, as i play a WIDE variety of music... Anything you guys could recommend that would get the style-range of the line6? I just got this thing for my birthday in August, and I really like it. Plus i feel like I'd be letting my parents down if I wanted a new one after they paid so much for my birthday (birthdays are usually around 100 bucks worth of gift)

If you like your amp don't replace it cause everyone else doesn't like it... as for the guitar the only things you really can do to help the sound is the pick ups and maybe a flyod (but since you can't afford one and with a guitar like that you'd have to route to make it fit and replace the nut) i would say some locking tuners or you may be able to get a new neck?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by Josher.K
Hm, I was also wondering, How hard is it to replace tuners? my guitar does go out of tune quickly. and If I got these replaced, could I use my one-way trem without it going out of tune?

locking tuners should fix the tuning prob while keeping the trem.
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.