I currently have a roland cube 15X which is currently pissing me off for various reasons.

I've looked up cheap tube amps, and have concluded that the Peavy ValveKing Royal 8 would be a good choice for me as it's a nice tube amp that is 200 bucks.

is it worth selling my cube and getting the royal 8 ?

I'm in a metal band, I have an ESP EX 400 and a Les Pauls Ultra. I have a korg multipedal that takes care of my distortion so all I want is a louder and better sounding amp.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by illuminatiano
I currently have a roland cube 15X which is currently pissing me off for various reasons.

I've looked up cheap tube amps, and have concluded that the Peavy ValveKing Royal 8 would be a good choice for me as it's a nice tube amp that is 200 bucks.

is it worth selling my cube and getting the royal 8 ?

I'm in a metal band, I have an ESP EX 400 and a Les Pauls Ultra. I have a korg multipedal that takes care of my distortion so all I want is a louder and better sounding amp.

Is one of the "various reasons" you are mad at the Cube is because it sounds bad turned up?

Many (if not all) low wattage amps (SS and tube) aren't designed to be gigged with. For the sake of no retort, there are exceptions.

If you plan on gigging with the Royal 8, no plan on it. Although it's tube, that tube wattage is only as loud as a TV on full or a trumpet. It won't cut through in a band situation.

Now, if it's for practice, that's a different story. I'd say do it, if it was for bedroom practice. but, you could get a Vypyr if you're looking for a more metal-oriented tone for bedroom practice only.
actually I can't even turn up my Cube amp as my multipedal controls all of my volume so whenever I raise the volume on my amp it doesn't do anything.

My friend has a Valveking Royal 8 and I've played it with my multipedal in it and I can put the sound louder on the amp rather than on the multipedal which works out for me.

As far as my gigging goes, I don't do much big venues and if I do, I can probably borrow one from someone else I'm just looking for a better band practice amp.
Quote by illuminatiano
actually I can't even turn up my Cube amp as my multipedal controls all of my volume so whenever I raise the volume on my amp it doesn't do anything.

My friend has a Valveking Royal 8 and I've played it with my multipedal in it and I can put the sound louder on the amp rather than on the multipedal which works out for me.

As far as my gigging goes, I don't do much big venues and if I do, I can probably borrow one from someone else I'm just looking for a better band practice amp.

Alright, that's understandable, but I really doubt that the Royal 8 could cut through, unless you had it attached to cabinet of some sort.

For $200, you could get a Crate V50... I've heard that they can do metal, to a degree. It depends on what kind of metal. The V50 is 50 watts all-tube, which is more than you'll ever need unless you play huge gigs or want outrageous headroom.

Were you going to buy online (or from Guitar Center), or from a local store?
well I saw it on Guitar Center. But I'm probably going to call arround the other shops to find the best price possible. If I can't find a price that beats GC, I'll just order it.

And thanks I'll look into that crate
Quote by illuminatiano
well I saw it on Guitar Center. But I'm probably going to call arround the other shops to find the best price possible. If I can't find a price that beats GC, I'll just order it.

And thanks I'll look into that crate

If you are playing anything past older thrash, the V50 will be fine stock... but if you need to play anything heavier (death/black metal), you will need to boost it or use a distortion pedal.

*Your EMG's will definitely help getting the V50 into metal territory.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691
If you are playing anything past older thrash, the V50 will be fine stock... but if you need to play anything heavier (death/black metal), you will need to boost it or use a distortion pedal.

*Your EMG's will definitely help getting the V50 into metal territory.

I've looked into that crate and decided that I will consider this very much also.

I'm going to call my GC and see if they have it so that I can try it out.

thanks for the help.