well lately ive been looking for a guitar that will be all the different features im looking for, so far nothing in production has completely met the criteria without much modding (i dont like buying a new guitar and immediately modding it) so i decided to build my own to meet the requirements.

so im planing on buying a already made les paul body and building the neck myself, i already have a pretty good feel on everything else that i will need to know except for how to make the neck.

i plan on maybe buying a warmoth body (since i can make a bolt on neck) and making the neck myself to keep the costs as cheap as possible. i have some basic wood working skills (enough to do all the things for the body required) but im not sure if i quite have the skill to make the neck. exactly how difficult will it be for a first timer with a pretty well equiped wood shop?

thanks guys.

EDIT- IM BUYING THE FINGERBOARD PREMADE, no way in hell i could get that right the first time
Last edited by conor1148 at Nov 16, 2008,
whew! unless you have a lathe, a miller, a miter saw, and a planer, you most likely will not make a good neck. They are very precise to their specks and need to be crafted with care. Take my advise, hit up evilbay and just find one there. It will be 1,000,000 times easier than trying to make a guitar neck with no formal training.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
i have access to all of those..

but anyways, is evilbay a person? a website? if i buy one im trying not to spend more than $100, if totally needed i will though.
yeah man.
i wouldnt suggest making your own neck just yet.
everything needs to be pretty damn accurate and smooth for it to play right.
then where should i go about getting one that will fit the warmoth body? the neck prices they have are pretty damn steep
evilbay = ebay...

there are great quality necks on ebay for less than 100 bucks. =)

DEFTedit:
This could work for you...

Or This...
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Nov 16, 2008,
You need a rasp, sandpaper, and a saw.

Really, if you have a bandsaw, a rasp (or spokeshave, or bastard file), and sandpaper, you should be able to make a decent neck.

Provided you buy the fingerboard. If you don't buy the fingerboard, add a gent's saw, or japanese saw, or some kind of small saw to the list, and a radius sanding block.

Am I missing anything wood gurus?

Why the hell would you need a lathe? Or a miller? Or a miter saw? Or a planer?

You listed all the tools you don't need valorhoads...

It really isn't as hard as everyone makes it seem... Measure twice, then again, and then a few more times. Then cut.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Nov 16, 2008,
crap!! i almost forgot to put that im buying the fingerboard premade, if that makes much difference
Quote by ValoRhoads
whew! unless you have a lathe, a miller, a miter saw, and a planer, you most likely will not make a good neck.
I completely disagree, I used a raspy thing, a filey thing, and some sandpaper, and my neck turned out great.

Quote by ValoRhoads
They are very precise to their specks and need to be crafted with care. Take my advise, hit up evilbay and just find one there. It will be 1,000,000 times easier than trying to make a guitar neck with no formal training.

Very wrong, especially the bolded part.

Yes necks take a lot of care, attention, patience, and especially planning, but a funking monkey could make one, you dont need any prior training or wood working skills, you just gotta take the time to learn and practice before going for it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Øttər
You need a rasp, sandpaper, and a saw.

Really, if you have a bandsaw, a rasp (or spokeshave, or bastard file), and sandpaper, you should be able to make a decent neck.

Provided you buy the fingerboard. If you don't buy the fingerboard, add a gent's saw, or japanese saw, or some kind of small saw to the list, and a radius sanding block.

Am I missing anything wood gurus?

Why the hell would you need a lathe? Or a miller? Or a miter saw? Or a planer?

You listed all the tools you don't need valorhoads...

It really isn't as hard as everyone makes it seem... Measure twice, then again, and then a few more times. Then cut.

Add a small plastic or brass faced hamer and a crowning file and that's the least you would need. I don't know why you would need the other stuff that guy mentioned you need to get the wood straight so you could use a jointer and planer or you could get the wood already milled. A bolt on neck isn't really as hard to build as you would think but the bodies probably about as easy if you get some templates.
ive already seen that tut, but thanks anyways.

so the fingerboard makes it alot easier? what are other easily screwed up areas?
Quote by conor1148
ive already seen that tut, but thanks anyways.

so the fingerboard makes it alot easier? what are other easily screwed up areas?

The only other thing I can think of is carving the back and getting it straight and to the profile you want but as long as your careful this shoudldn't be a problem.
The heel, if you get the measurements wrong, you are ****ed and joining the fingerboard to the rest of the neck.

Maybe the truss channel route?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
ok thanks, how hard are the common neck woods to cut? we have a very large saw and a very small not as powerful saw, id prefer to use the weaker one (so it wont rape the wood to pieces)
Quote by Øttər
The heel, if you get the measurements wrong, you are ****ed and joining the fingerboard to the rest of the neck.

Maybe the truss channel route?

True it's probably better to make a template first and the truss rod channel can always be shimmed and fixed it doesn't hurt and no one sees it but if your careful there should be no need.
Quote by conor1148
ok thanks, how hard are the common neck woods to cut? we have a very large saw and a very small not as powerful saw, id prefer to use the weaker one (so it wont rape the wood to pieces)

What kind of saw?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I dont know what the neck pocket is on a warmoth body, but it is probably tapered to be the same as a strat necks, which means the bridge and nut have to be the same as the strat, in order for the taper of the strings to exactly match the taper of the neck.

The problem (at least in my mind) is that if you buy a body and make a neck to fit that body, and then use the bridge and nut of your choice the tapers will not match up, and although the strings may fit within the edges of the fingerboard, it may just look tacky.

TBH if you can make a neck, you can probably make a body, and by doing both you allow yourself to design everything from the ground up and not have to worry about existing measurements that have to be met.

Start with the bridge and nut of your choice and work from there, then the body and neck will match perfecty and everything will be dandy.

May be I'm being too anal

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ Just like a jig saw, but the blade rotates right?

I'm not sure if you can use it... I think maybe.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
uhh... the saw blade is like a belt that spins between two pulleys if i remember right.
Quote by conor1148
uhh... the saw blade is like a belt that spins between two pulleys if i remember right.

That's a bandsaw the most used guitar for any guitar building. Also to answer an earlier question les paul necks are mahogany so I would recommend using it and it's easy to cut and shape because it's soft I like making necks out of it a lot better than maple.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Nov 16, 2008,
i just carved my first neck the other day, its not that hard, roughed with a band saw, carved out with rasps, spokeshave and sand paper
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
if i were you, i would just buy from stewmac.com the neck plans and the wood that they suggest. and from reading other posts, im assuming at minimum, wou will need a router (unless for some ungodly reason you dont want a truss rod) a saw, glue, clamps (for when you put the fingerboard on and for when you have to cut and re-glue the headstock) but check out youtube, theres a video of a guy making an acoustic guitar and just watch the part where he builds the neck, if you thinkg after watching that its too hard, then i would save the neck making part for when you are bored on a sunday and you wanna try making a neck with some cheap wood (that woud obviously wouldnt put on a guitar)
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Quote by reed12321
if i were you, i would just buy from stewmac.com the neck plans and the wood that they suggest. and from reading other posts, im assuming at minimum, wou will need a router (unless for some ungodly reason you dont want a truss rod) a saw, glue, clamps (for when you put the fingerboard on and for when you have to cut and re-glue the headstock) but check out youtube, theres a video of a guy making an acoustic guitar and just watch the part where he builds the neck, if you thinkg after watching that its too hard, then i would save the neck making part for when you are bored on a sunday and you wanna try making a neck with some cheap wood (that woud obviously wouldnt put on a guitar)

alright, ill just try it with cheap wood then to try it out
wait... a lathe? why the hell would you need a lathe? you could make some hella nice dowel stick with a lathe, granted... but unless you're making pool cues or round bushings i don't see the need for a lathe.

and a mill? I could see using a mill for machining cavities and drilling holes but necks are about 2% bandsaw, 2% drill press, 1% titebond original (ftw), 5% router, 20% rasp, 25% spokeshave and 45% sandpaper. Granted, you could mill the truss rod channel and drill the holes in a mill but for a fraction of the price you can get a cheapie drill press and a laminate trimmer or small router. If you make your own fretboard there's more involved but realistically all you'd need additional would be a gents saw and a radius block... the mitre box is nice to keep everything square and straight, though. You'd still need crowning/dressing files for the fretwork and possibly nut making tools if you don't buy a premade.

necks aren't that hard to make, really. you just have to be really careful.

EDIT:

buy some poplar from lowes or home depot... get the 1"x3"x24" piece and a piece of 1/4" x 2" x 18" for a mock up fretboard. it'll be a little smaller than a regular sized neck but really you just want to practice routing the truss rod channel, cutting/sanding/gluing the scarf joint and sawing/radiusing/gluing the fretboard.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Nov 17, 2008,
alright guys, ill go buy the cheap wood and try it out, wish me luck!

any more pointers?
I use a router, rasps, files, band saw, jointer, planer, spokeshave, scrapers, drill press, fret slotting miter box, fret saw, a million clamps and a fret hammer to make my necks. I have no idea how long it takes me but I'm guessing like 3-4 hours actual working time from rough lumber? thats if I'm only making 1 at a time though, I'm sure if I made like 5 at the same time it would take like 2 hours each maybe?