I can't seem to use my ring finger comfortably while playing bass. What are some good exercises to practice using my 3rd finger with?
break ur index finger so you have to use the ring and middle thats what my bassist did but not purposely break it tho u shud but he uhh erm didnt
Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
break ur index finger so you have to use the ring and middle thats what my bassist did but not purposely break it tho u shud but he uhh erm didnt

+1
Quote by kaizerkhan13
your plucking hand or your fretting hand?

Plucking.

Quote by BrickIsRed
Just spend months building strength in that finger like your did with your first two.

I've only been playing bass for about a week. But, I am no n00b.

And, how would I go about building strength in my finger?
Quote by coryklok
Plucking.

I've only been playing bass for about a week. But, I am no n00b.

And, how would I go about building strength in my finger?

Assuming we're talking about your plucking hand here; start playing any bassline at whatever speed your right hand can comfortably manage with 3 fingers, then try to play a bit faster, and once you're comfortable with that, try to play faster again.
do scales SLOWLY with a metronome, building speed when you can play it comfortably and can hear each note clearly.

Once you can do this at a reasonable speed, try a fast song using three fingers, and always starting off slowly and building. Make sure your technique is right, and that you only get a galloping sound going if you intend to. good luck buddy

Sanity is not statistical
Play through your scales, doing two notes to each degree, and using every combination of three fingers. So index and middle for the first, then index and ring, then middle and ring, and finally all three. Also, try not to get into a pattern of 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2, because it's hardly more economical then using two fingers.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Well now im pretty good with using 3 fingers, im working on 4 at the moment but i got using 3 well by doing iron maiden galloping style basslines, then from there i just started using 3 fingers in fast riffs such as Master of Puppets, just go about it the same way you used your first 2. practise.
Quote by Metal5115
Well now im pretty good with using 3 fingers, im working on 4 at the moment but i got using 3 well by doing iron maiden galloping style basslines, then from there i just started using 3 fingers in fast riffs such as Master of Puppets, just go about it the same way you used your first 2. practise.

It should also be mentioned that it's possible to play that fast with 2. Though with 3 you can relax a little more.
You can't use you ring finger? But you can use your pinky? That is strange...

I just gunna have to say your ****ed up...

Get un****ed up... Then try... It worked for me
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.