Page 1 of 2
* As far as the Pirahã have related to researchers, their culture is concerned solely with matters that fall within direct personal experience, and thus there is no history beyond living memory.
* The culture has the simplest known kinship system, not tracking relations any more distant than biological siblings.
* There appears to be no social hierarchy, the Pirahã lack leaders.
* The people do not count. Despite efforts to teach them, some researchers, such as Prof. Peter Gordon of Columbia University, claim that they are incapable of learning numeracy. His colleague, Prof. Daniel L. Everett, on the other hand, argues that the Pirahã are cognitively capable of counting; they simply choose not to do so.
* They barter with external traders but have resisted most external influences (such as encouragement to farm) retaining a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.
* They have very little artwork. The artwork that is present, mostly necklaces and drawn stick-figures, is used primarily to ward off evil spirits.
* The Pirahã have no concept of God or religion. They believe in spirits, though these are not the same kinds of spirits in other cultures. These "spirits" can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things.
* The Pirahã take short naps of 15 minutes to two hours through the day and night, and rarely sleep through the night.
* They often go hungry, not for want of food, but from a desire to be tigisái (hard).
* The Pirahã have not related to researchers any fiction or mythology.

I just heard about this tribe. I used to think that some of these things were universal human constructs, particularly numbers.
I can't even imagine not having a concept of numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%C3%A3_people
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080714111940.htm
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Wut?

Oh, I see, awesome.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
That's actually quite interesting.

What makes them not curious for knowledge ?

Why don't they have the understanding of counting ?

How Come they barely sleep but still live ?

Perhaps the fact that they barely sleep makes them incredibly lazy and not want to adapt to their environment ?

so many questions, I'm going to bring this to my history class or perhaps one of my science courses to answer these questions.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Talk about underachieving...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Talk about underachieving...

According to researchers who've lived with them they seem to be way more serene, content and happy than us.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Interesting but I am confused what this 'tigisái' is. They want to be 'hard' ? Sexually hard?
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Last edited by SavageNights at Nov 16, 2008,
that's really cool. I wish that i was one of those guys.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
also, how the hell did they make it to this time without actually doing anything at all ?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
According to researchers who've lived with them they seem to be way more serene, content and happy than us.

That's because, being unable to count, they haven't seen their stock portfolio frop like everyone else!
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Aim low and avoid disappointments...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by illuminatiano

How Come they barely sleep but still live ?

Perhaps the fact that they barely sleep makes them incredibly lazy and not want to adapt to their environment ?

I can answer that one. They don't barely sleep; they have a polyphasic sleep schedule. You take a nap every so often during the day. It's just an alternative to the circadian rhythm most of us (tend to) follow. da Vinci and Nikola Tesla are a couple brilliant ones who were rumoured to use polyphasic sleep.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I've heard that lack of intellectual curiosity is a sign of a mental disorder. Maybe they have a singular ancestor who passed that disorder on through all of them?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by illuminatiano
That's actually quite interesting.

What makes them not curious for knowledge ?

I'm not sure that it's actually a lack of thirst for knowledge, but maybe rather a strong desire to maintain traditions and culture. It stated that even though they barter with external traders but continue to resist adopting outside cultural "norms".
Quote by illuminatiano
also, how the hell did they make it to this time without actually doing anything at all ?

They've done enough to survive and be happy and develop a unique society.
Quote by humperdunk
that's really cool. I wish that i was one of those guys.

It's to highlight the important bits for lazy people.
Quote by MightyAl

That's because, being unable to count, they haven't seen their stock portfolio frop like everyone else!
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Where is this tribe at.

Sorry if you mentioned it, I just sorta skimmed your post.

Interesting stuff.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
Where is this tribe at.

Sorry if you mentioned it, I just sorta skimmed your post.

Interesting stuff.

The amazon.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

So do many animals.
Quote by rasinañte
Does this seem like perfect communism to anyone else?

no, it's anarchy, there are clearly NO LEADERS.
Last edited by illuminatiano at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by Trefellin
So do many animals.

...Seriously?
Are you seriously trying to compare a human culture to animals because they aren't the same as yours?

I hope not.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I knew it! Piranha people! To think everyone laughed at me when I-

...Oh, never mind.
Quote by illuminatiano
no idiot it's anarchy, there are clearly NO LEADERS.

Don't flame.

Do it constructively, like this:

No, it's anarchy, there are clearly NO LEADERS.

No ban, everyone is happy.
woo
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by illuminatiano
no idiot it's anarchy, there are clearly NO LEADERS.

Communism is equality. Having leaders isn't equal. Therefore Communism lacks leaders.
Communism is an economic system. Anarchy is a political system.

Fin. Now play nicely.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse

Fin. Now play nicely.

I thought Anarchy is the lack of a political system?
Quote by ling_yu

It is. That makes it a political system by definition. It's the exact opposite of statism.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by ling_yu

On the political spectrum.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by ling_yu

anarchy is a political system in which it is actually non-existent. Everyone is considered equal, anyone can do whatever they wish, there is no security, no leader whatsoever, no rules, no laws.
Quote by SteveHouse

Fin. Now play nicely.

Communism is actually can be either or both depending on the degree. I was just pointing out that although they have no ruler they live as an equal community which could be a very good example of communism in any argument.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
...Seriously?
Are you seriously trying to compare a human culture to animals because they aren't the same as yours?

I hope not.

They are similar in the way that they haven't evolved mentally enough to form some concepts such as mathematics, religion (might not be a bad thing lol), etc. They are far more intelligent than any animal seeing as they have formed a language with an alphabet consisting of 3 vowels and 8 consonants. They've moved on from communicating using only only tone of voice and body language which is a sign of intelligence really only comparable to other humans.
Quote by rasinañte
Communism is actually can be either or both depending on the degree. I was just pointing out that although they have no ruler they live as an equal community which could be a very good example of communism in any argument.

This is truth. Communism and anarchy pretty much go hand-in-hand. The only problem is, if the society has ever known anything but those things, someone's gonna take over and fuck up everything. Sounds like these guys don't have that problem.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I say we should let them be and not influence their evolution as they might come up with concepts we haven't because we used our concepts (maths, religion, language, science, etc.) to find solutions. If they come up with a completely new concept that has been completely unthought of by the rest of us because of education, how awesome would that be?
Just goes to prove the well-known fact that communism works quite well in tribal situations.

I wish I was one of them Must be nice, in a way.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
how do we know they dont just really dislike talking to people? they probably dont like us, and dont want to enlighten us with their superior learnings.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
I say we should let them be and not influence their evolution as they might come up with concepts we haven't because we used our concepts (maths, religion, language, science, etc.) to find solutions. If they come up with a completely new concept that has been completely unthought of by the rest of us because of education, how awesome would that be?

Mathematics doesn't really have anything to do with evolution in this case.
Evolution is a physical process and your assertion would only be correct if they lacked the brain area responsible for maths, which they don't. They CAN learn numbers, they just don't see the need for them in their society.

Not primitive, different.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Page 1 of 2