Page 1 of 2
Hey, I was wondering what you guys think is the best mahogany bodied guitar for shred. My sg works pretty well, but it seems to tire my hand out more because the neck is a bit more bulbous than my cheap ibanez or cheap squire.

But those guitars are alder bodied, and I want to keep the deep mahogany tone. The neck doesn't have to be mahogany.

One of the only mahogany shredders that I've seen is the Ibanez RG3120 from the GOTM, but apart from that I don't know of many others. I just like the feel of the strat type of neck, but want to keep the mahogany bodied tone.
The wood it is made out of will make no difference on a distorted amplified tone.

Even with clean tones, it would barely make a difference. The tone of a guitar is all in the hardware, pickups, amp, and player.

Just go the guitar store, and try guitars until you find one with tone you like.

Shredders to look into: ESP, Ibanez, Gibson, custom made by a luthier.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
esp mh-1000
ibanez s series
gibson LP and SG
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Quote by Øttər
The wood it is made out of will make no difference on a distorted amplified tone.

Even with clean tones, it would barely make a difference. The tone of a guitar is all in the hardware, pickups, amp, and player.

Just go the guitar store, and try guitars until you find one with tone you like.

Shredders to look into: ESP, Ibanez, Gibson, custom made by a luthier.

C'mon, there's definitely tonal characteristics to different woods. Some woods resonate different frequencies more, and vibrations of the strings are what make the guitar sound. If the strings touch the bridge which touches the body, there's gonna be a difference in tone.
Nope.

EDIT: Well, yes, but it doesn't matter. That deep, warm tone comes from the amp and the pickups more than anything.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
the deep warm tone comes from the wood more than anything...

You can put just about any pickup in a les paul and it will still sound warm, unless the pickup and amp are setup to spew out treble like no tomorrow
Quote by HibyPrime
the deep warm tone comes from the wood more than anything...

You can put just about any pickup in a les paul and it will still sound warm, unless the pickup and amp are setup to spew out treble like no tomorrow

That's what I was thinking. Seems like Otter has it the opposite way around tho.
He's probably talking about how you can take a strat, turn back the tone knob, fiddle with the eq and make it sound warm... that still would sound completely different than a mahogany guitar with the same strat pickups and the same settings....
Quote by HibyPrime
He's probably talking about how you can take a strat, turn back the tone knob, fiddle with the eq and make it sound warm... that still would sound completely different than a mahogany guitar with the same strat pickups and the same settings....

Depends how responsive your amp is.

More expensive amps will reflect differences in tone (body wood, pickups) a lot more but a cheap amp will make all guitars sound about the same.

TS: Ibanez S series.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well if all woods made the guitar sound the same then why don't they go make every guitar out of cheap ply wood or MDF wood?

I'm pretty sure the wood would make some sort of difference..

Like maple fret boards and rose wood fret boards,

and uhm, i hear the THe ibanez RG is a good shreder guitar and i hear they pretty light too.

not sure what model of RG though i don't know much on the subject.

Quote by telecastermetal
well if all woods made the guitar sound the same then why don't they go make every guitar out of cheap ply wood or MDF wood?

I'm pretty sure the wood would make some sort of difference..

Like maple fret boards and rose wood fret boards,

and uhm, i hear the THe ibanez RG is a good shreder guitar and i hear they pretty light too.

not sure what model of RG though i don't know much on the subject.

I'll say it again:

If you have a high-end amp then you'll hear the small differences in tone a lot more, high-end amps are much more responsive to small changes in tone.

Low-end amps are not responsive so they make all guitars sound just about the same.

When people say that most of the tone comes from the amp they mean the QUALITY of the tone, not the exact nature of the tone.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Suhr 10th anniversary LE.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
oooo lol i don't understand any of this tone shit, all i can tell is when a tone is metalcore like and when it's like rock type and when it's clean stuff like that etc...
prs custom 22/24 with a wide thin neck. they work for just about any kind of music.
Quote by telecastermetal
oooo lol i don't understand any of this tone shit, all i can tell is when a tone is metalcore like and when it's like rock type and when it's clean stuff like that etc...

It'll come, just listen to as much guitar as you can and play with your own tone a lot; you'll develop an ear for it in time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ibanez S series

Maybe a Carvin DC-400.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
These threads are so much more fun with pictures.

LTD MH1000

LTD H1001

The MH comes with a JB/'59 set and the H with a Custom-5/Jazz. Both have coil split abilities. The Custom-5 was godlike IMO.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Most of the good LTDs are mahogany and have quite thin necks.

Also the higher end Ibanez prestiges are getting mahogony bodies now, but are pretty pricey
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
just bear in mind that a mahogany body isn't the only thing affecting the tone- those ibanezes may have a mahogany body, but they have a maple bolt-on neck, trem, etc.- it's not going to sound like a les paul, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah thats my problem, I like the tone my sg gives, and was thinking about getting the RG3120 even tho it has a maple neck.

Maybe it will be like a les paul with a maple cap? lol Probably not, but I guess my other option would be a Gibson '61 sg reissue with it's slim taper neck. But it's out of my price range, unless the Epi Elitist '61 reissue has the same neck type.
i could be wrong, but i don't think that rg is going to sound like either an sg or a lp... i mean, it's not just the wood which the guitar is made of, it's also the construction technique (bolt-on sounds quite a bit different to set-neck), scale length (rg is 25.5" versus the gibsons' 24.75"), hardware (rg has a locking trem versus the gibsons' tune-o-matics), the rg has a locking nut which sounds different to the gibsons' nuts (bone?) etc. etc.

i guess, what i'm trying to say is that there are far more differences than similarities.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm not sure how close it'd sound, but maybe a washburn x50pro? really depends on the budget, to be honest.

first thing i'd do though is to go and try a bunch of guitars, assuming you have nice guitar shops near you- just because a guitar doesn't sound the exact same as a guitar you like, doesn't mean you won't like having a slight change of tone. if that makes sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was about to recommend a Schecter, but to me they don't feel that different from SGs...
Have you looked into ESPs?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I do get what you're saying DaveMc. I'm looking at the Washburn X50pro, it looks pretty good, i'm not sure what that buzz feiten tuning system is about. Is it like earvana?

And aznrocker, I've looked at ESP's, they seem good but I don't know they don't seem to fit my personality.
yeah, i think it's a similar idea to earvana (though it's achieved in a slightly different way).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by yoyodunno
I do get what you're saying DaveMc. I'm looking at the Washburn X50pro, it looks pretty good, i'm not sure what that buzz feiten tuning system is about. Is it like earvana?

And aznrocker, I've looked at ESP's, they seem good but I don't know they don't seem to fit my personality.

Which guitars are you looking at as of now?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well if I could afford it I'd get the Gibson SG '61 reissue because I've heard that it's neck is pretty slim. But I'm just trying to find a good alternative to it with spending around 600 bucks.

And some of the ESP Ltd's have the features I want, but I don't like the looks too much.
Ibanez S is the best, especially S-prestige. Heck, even HermanLi use it, and he is basically Shred himself (asidefrom Dimebag)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Ibanez S = ****. I've owned one for a year, take my word for it.

What he meant is "ZR works fine until it broke". the nut seems to have problem. Ref to Ibanez forum for fix.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Page 1 of 2