I have been looking into my first stack, and there were two half stacks that I've been considering:

Gallien-Krueger Backline 600/Goldline 4x10 Stack:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600Goldline-4x10-Stack?sku=486004

Acoustic B200H 200W Bass Head and B115 250W 1x15 Bass Cab Package:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-200W-Bass-Head-and-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package?sku=483494

If I were to get the Acoustic one, I would buy this cabinet also:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B115-250w-1x15-Bass-Cabinet?sku=600776

So, either way I would be spending the same.

I tried out the Gallien-Krueger and I liked the sound of it but I haven't been able to try out the other one. Which one would be more would the money? Any suggestions of other stacks around the same price range that would be better?
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
I actually am in this predicament.

If I could, could I ask one more questions?
How much wattage would I need to play with 2 guitars and a drummer?
For both band practice (in a concrete basement) and shows (probably not micing).

By the way. I was thinking of getting an Ashdown MAG. Maybe the 300H with a 410 and 115. Would the MAG be powerful enough for both cabs?

Thanks mate.

PS. Carvin has a "SBR410 600W 410 BASS HALF-STACK" for $699.99
Looks pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with Carvin?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR410
Last edited by gwath42 at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by gwath42

For both band practice (in a concrete basement) and shows (probably not micing).

Thanks mate.

there is no formula for wattage needed to be a certain loudness. Certain speakers are better than others, certain cab's allow for better air movement, certain amp head use the power more selectively, theres way too many variables.

All that said i'd say at least double the wattage of the lead guitar player's amp, hoping he's louder than the drummer
I forgot to mention, I going to be using this for small gigs.
So, I need it to be loud enough to be heard over a drummer and two guitarists.

Thanks.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Everybody and their grandmother plays guitar. True men play bass.

Amen!!

Quote by ifeastonbums
it won't harm the bass, but it will harm the children, and I for one love the children.

I love the children...
You will absolutely not find a better value for your dollar than with Carvin. Period. It is the best choice out of the three.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, with that cab alone, it'll be pushing 275W, which, while probably perfect for your situation, isn't anywhere near the full power of the head.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
TS, of those two, I'd go with the Acoustic stack. Awesome rig. However, I'll also give another +1 to Carvin.

Quote by gwath42

By the way. I was thinking of getting an Ashdown MAG. Maybe the 300H with a 410 and 115. Would the MAG be powerful enough for both cabs?

Thanks mate.

PS. Carvin has a "SBR410 600W 410 BASS HALF-STACK" for $699.99
Looks pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with Carvin?

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR410

The MAG would be fine.

I have that exact Carvin rig, and it's awesome. It's a bit weird in that it pushes 225W into a cab that can hold 800, but it can also power THREE more 8-ohm cabs. The half stack by itself is more than loud enough for most applications, and the head has one of the best preamps ever put in a head, IMO. If you can't get a tone you like with that head, you need your ears checked.

edit: Also, the cab is rated at 107dB. That's likely a bit over-rated, but it is still quite sensitive. I plugged my Hartke A25 (25W) into it and was still able to shake the walls.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 17, 2008,
Very awesome. Thanks mates.

Will be trying to get the Carvin if I get the money.
If not the MAG 300H + a 410.
Which would work for practice and small shows.
ok, for average sized clubs my 120watt Kustom III pushing a single 15 was enough without mic'ing it... you don't NEED all that power.

Now, if you go for a full stack, mix you speakers. get a 4x10 and a 1x15. You'll get a more dynamic range of tone.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Can I just ask why you feel you need a halfstack? A 300w head going through a 2x10 or 1x15 is more than enough for most pubs/clubs.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by Stan_da_man
Can I just ask why you feel you need a halfstack? A 300w head going through a 2x10 or 1x15 is more than enough for most pubs/clubs.

You could say that but isnt it nice to know that if you wanted to you could burst evreyones eardrums. Its just a comforting thought. Plus more watts will give you a cleaner headroom if you ever turn it up loud, especially if you like a clean sound.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I recently played a G&K half stack for battle of the bands, and the tone was amazing...not to mention it was super loud! I think some people got blown away
Quote by Kensai
Rape... it's the only way a ginger will get laid.
Quote by fatgoogle
You could say that but isnt it nice to know that if you wanted to you could burst evreyones eardrums. Its just a comforting thought. Plus more watts will give you a cleaner headroom if you ever turn it up loud, especially if you like a clean sound.

Dude, I had a 450w 8x10 and let me tell you, it was f***ing loud but it wasn't fun lugging it around.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
carvin
best for your buck thar.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Stan_da_man
Dude, I had a 450w 8x10 and let me tell you, it was f***ing loud but it wasn't fun lugging it around.

A 8x10 is generally always going to sound louder than a 4x10 or 2x10 because it can puxh so much more air. But ya they are a bummer to move. I once helped a friend move a svt 8x10 and it is so freakin heavy took all day to lift into the car.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul