Im looking into a new guitar for myself and i have narrowed my choices down to ether an Epiphone or a ESP. I was wondering which one would be better for playing heavy stuff but still good for playing clean. I only want to spend around $400
they both make good low end guitars. but ive noticed the quality control on epi's is poor and sparatic. i'd go with esp
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
I have had both an G400 epiphone and an ESP EC50, the ESP was a terrible guitar, the epiphone is much better in every respect. I doubt any epiphone would be as poor as the EC-50 i had.
RG's & Mesa's
im guessing you mean LTD because your not going to be able to find an ESP for under like $800. LTD is a great way to go for heavy and you can get some good cleans out of them. Most of the LTD guitars your going to find are probably a better quality then the epi's too.
But try some out at a store... that might help
Esp Ltd Ftw
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Save up a little bit more and get an LTD 400. VERY good quality, and I wouldn't even call them a low end guitar. Not high end, either, but a very good deal.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
If it's an LTD 400+ range, then that's going to beat the Epi for hard rock and metal.

If it's below the 400 range though, then watch yourself. Some of the 256 and 200 range are made with inferior woods and parts, and nearly all of the 50/53 series are utterly awful.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Save up a little bit more and get an LTD 400. VERY good quality, and I wouldn't even call them a low end guitar. Not high end, either, but a very good deal.

like this one?http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-LTD-EC-400-EC400-BLACK-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-SET-NECK-HSC_W0QQitemZ270302054721QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item270302054721&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1209%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Holy crap that's one hell of a deal. Though with two days left on the auction, I imagine the price will rise quite a lot more.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Epiphone G-400.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
I bought a dirt-cheap bottom-of-the-line LTD H-100 and it's still the best guitar I've ever had.
You're*
Quote by e32lover
I have had both an G400 epiphone and an ESP EC50, the ESP was a terrible guitar, the epiphone is much better in every respect. I doubt any epiphone would be as poor as the EC-50 i had.

Thats not a fair comparison, An LTDEC50 is the bottom of the line ESP LTD guitar. I happen to have an epi les paul standard, and an ESP LTD viper200fm. In my opinion, the viper is a far superior guitar to my epi. I love my viper, all it took was a pup change, and its great. Beautiful too!
The LTD is your best bet definitely. I am a little biased since I hate the epi neck, but the LTD (ESP) is still a better guitar for the money. This is especially true of you are playing metal. In general you can mount EMG's on plywood and still sound metal (I would not try it).

I would suggest that you look at Alexi Laiho's lower-end signature here:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Alexi-Laiho200-Electric-Guitar?sku=512896

or a few other nice, cheap guitars:

A nice Washburn:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X30-Electric-Guitar?sku=514239

There is a Jackson that might suit you in your price range:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=517232V

There is an epi that I would not play but is interesting:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=517232V

There are also some deals on Ibanez here:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG370DXGP-Electric-Guitar?sku=512367

or a Schecter:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483
LTD friendo
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
they are both feel quite a bit different.
ltds generally have thin, wide necks where as an epi generally has a quite thick neck.
imo ltd has more guitar for the money, but i don't get along with their neck so out of the two i personally would go epiphone
Quote by mrmarc772
they are both feel quite a bit different.
ltds generally have thin, wide necks where as an epi generally has a quite thick neck.
imo ltd has more guitar for the money, but i don't get along with their neck so out of the two i personally would go epiphone

Epiphones don't have thick necks.

They're more of a C shape as apposed to a U though.

I would take the ESP/LTD 400 line over any standard Epiphone. Better instruments, much better to play. Epiphones are too plain feeling.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah i guess u should try them both out, i have only ever played the EC50 from ESP, and that is about the same price as an EPI G400, in which case i much prefered the G400, but its probably worth trying out some better ESP's before you make up your mind, maybe also check out an ibanez RG321 as well theyr pretty nice
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
yeah i guess u should try them both out, i have only ever played the EC50 from ESP, and that is about the same price as an EPI G400, in which case i much prefered the G400, but its probably worth trying out some better ESP's before you make up your mind, maybe also check out an ibanez RG321 as well theyr pretty nice

ESP/LTD EC-50. $199.00
Epiphone G-400. $399.99.

It sure is about the same price huh?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'd say go on Ebay and look up ESP LTD F400FM its a $700 guitar I'm selling for $400. It has amazing sound. Great cleans