So i've been playing guitar for about 10 months now. I decided i'd like to start getting faster at playing and challenge myself with some easy solo. i can handly pretty much any rhythm you throw at me. so i decided to try the paranoid (black sabbath) solo... yes i know, you guys are all thinking its cake... anyways :P... i thought the strings above the high frets seemed kind of... well, high. it was like i couldn't move fast because i had to lift my fingers too much. so i decided to lower the action.

My guitar is an Epiphone G-400 SG, and it has the bridge where you just turn the screws and it lowers the saddle. yay. so i decided to lower it, thus lowering my action. i found, however, that once i lowered the action, i got fret buzzing. only on certain strings and frets, but i still got it. so i put it back

My question is this: am i just a newb and think the strings are too high when the really aren't? or ... is there something else i need to adjust (or have a pro adjust), such as truss rod, to get the action correct?

NOTE ---> pictures of my guitars action at these links.. they show string height above the 1st fret, 12th fret, end of the fret board, and the screw height i have the saddle at (in case anyone else reading has an SG and can compare that lol) All the pics show the low E string.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/wolverine1190/100_0638.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/wolverine1190/100_0640.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/wolverine1190/100_0641.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/wolverine1190/100_0643.jpg

thanks for any help
That's not bad for action, however, if you want to lower it any more, you'll need to have your truss rod adjusted. You should take it in to a tech and have them do a full setup on it if you're not comfortable messing with the rod, as it can strip and leave you with an expensive repair bill.

when you practice and get good on the higher frets, itl make playing on the lower ones a lot easier. Kind of like playing on an accoustic with high action, it makes you really apreciate the jumbo frets and low action.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
really... you think its ok? i read somewhere it needs to be about the height of a dime laying flat at the 12th fret... i measured at about 1/8 of an inch from the top of the "fret divider" at the 12th to the bottom of my low E string. if im not mistaken, i think 3/32 of an inch is considered good. so im a little high, i thought. maybe not though lol
there's a neck relief, neck adjustment tutorial on the first post of the set up thread in my sig.

check it out, and repost with what you find.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by wolverine1190
really... you think its ok? i read somewhere it needs to be about the height of a dime laying flat at the 12th fret... i measured at about 1/8 of an inch from the top of the "fret divider" at the 12th to the bottom of my low E string. if im not mistaken, i think 3/32 of an inch is considered good. so im a little high, i thought. maybe not though lol

It's not too bad, but it's hard to tell just looking at pictures. Like I said, take it as low as you can without fret buzz, but if that's not low enough, you'll need to have the truss rod adjusted. There's a lot of tutorials on how to do it yourself, but if you're not absolutely comfortable with doing it, take it to a luthier to have it done. It won't cost you much, and if it needs adjusted you can get the action down a bit lower.
Quote by jj1565
there's a neck relief, neck adjustment tutorial on the first post of the set up thread in my sig.

check it out, and repost with what you find.

well i held the last fret and first fret down while my pick was on the 7th fret divider (im just assuming my medium pick is about a credit card width, as the tutorial called for) and the strings held it in place, meaning theres less room there than a credit card could fit in to. but they weren't touching. so i guess thats ok

it just seems like almost a quarter inch above the fretboard at around frets 15 and up (especially on the thinner strings) seems too high. but i guess its not according to what you're all saying. maybe im just not good enough yet lol
it's a little low actually.

you can do with a turn, if you want, you can get away with a turn.
i'd explain how, and you might be able to lower the action a little more afterwards.

it's up to you. perfect action is preference to the player.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
it's a little low actually.

you can do with a turn, if you want, you can get away with a turn.
i'd explain how, and you might be able to lower the action a little more afterwards.

it's up to you. perfect action is preference to the player.

ok so, your calling for a slight truss rod adjustment? well if you'd like to explain, go for it i know how to do it, but i'd rather have someone tell me just in case lol
in your case you would turn the rod 1/4 turn, Counter clockwise.

that's a very small amount. dont force the turn, and leave it in tune while it settles.

dont turn any more than that tonight.

remeasure and repost if needed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62