I'm thinking about ordering the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup for my Fender Precision Bass. My exact model is the Mike Dirnt Signature P-Bass (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0138400306), but I changed the strings to the Rotosound Steve Harris flatwounds. Does anyone know how good these pickups are?

Steve Harris is my biggest influence, but I don't want to emulate him exactly. I want to have a sound like his, but combine it with my own. So if I got these pickups (which are the ones he uses, except probably customized) and it got combined with the Mike Dirnt bass (which has a lot of vintage features, such as the neck; check the spec sheet), would I have a good sound/tone? Is it worth it to buy these pickups?
looks like your trying to cover a fairly wide range of musical genres. flat wound strings more mellow tone than roundwound.

im not too sure about the specs of the pickup's your looking at getting, but hitting up the seymore duncan website should be able to give you the info your looking for, if your going to stick to flatwound then id suggest looking for a pup with a boost in the high middle range to counter balance the mellow strings, the idea is to keep your sound as neutral as possible to that you can still cover the different styles your after by using the tone control/effects pedals etc.

thats about all i can suggest looking at at the moment, sorry
The SPB-1 is a great pickup, if you give me a little bit of time, I'll actually do a demo of it with my toneport for you. I absolutely love my SPB-1, best pickup in a p-bass I've ever used (didn't like the EMGs, the hots are a bit much, the Quater pounders are nasty and the fender vintage are ok, just a little lighter).

What kind of amp are you running?

The Iron Maiden guy used to have his own signiture bass, it was pretty cool. Kind'a of a blue/purple body with a blue mirror pickgaurd, an SPB-3, Bad Ass II and just a volume, I liked it.

In anycase, for just about any style, the SPB-1 will work (actually, check out the "sekin" clips in my profile, those are the SPB-1). I've used it for punk, "emo" (I HATE THAT WORD), jazz, blues, country and HC. It just works.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
ok, it's up.

totally remembered I can slap taxman... why didn't I rememebr that! Ill get that up soon, too.

edit: totally got it up, don't judge my slap skills, they are low.

I should also add, our basses are somewhat identical. The only differances being the size of the headstock (which makes a differance, but not a whole ton) and the wood type on the body, ash (if the dirnt is actually made of ash) vs. alder. Other than that, BadAss II bridge, pots and caps are the same, tuners are the same. So this is a close approximation to what you'll get playing through a line 6 mocking an Ampeg.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 18, 2008,
I'm playing my bass out of a Fender Bassman 250, but that amp is usually at the guitarist in my band's house all week, every week until I decide to take it back for a little bit, and he lives 35 minutes from me. So most of the time I'm playing directly into my Line6 Bass Podxt or the amp at the School of Rock I go to (not sure what it is). I'm sure it will sound fine out of all of them, though. I am aware of Steve Harris' signature p-bass from a few years ago, as well as the Lado Steve Harris sig (which is way too expensive), but while he is my main influence and I practically worship him, I want to have my own unique bass that's my "custom". So I want to mix and match what I already have with some of Steve's specs, combined with other minor things, such as the stickers on my bass and the 60th Anniversary Fender logo on the back of the headstock. And I'm sure as time goes on I'll get other additions.

I also heard your recordings on the page and they were good, but I don't play the type of the music you were playing in those recordings, and to hear what I would want to know I would need to hear someone playing harder on the strings and probably a metallish song (...such as Iron Maiden!). But it sounds good so far and thanks for putting the recordings up. Do you have flatwounds on your bass, though?

Note: I have another bass, a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (which I don't plan on modding at all in the near future, nor on trading in) which is really good for the fast and heavier types of metal, such as thrash and death, and is also good for some jazzy-esque songs since it has a jazz pickup, but not much. So I want my Custom Precision Bass to be for everything else, meaning the slower and more progressive types of metal (which is my favorite), for most forms of hard rock, for jazz (since I'll be doing the Jazz Band in my school soon), classic rock, and everything else that my Zodiac DE Scorpio can't do. My P-Bass is also a much nicer bass than my Peavey and it was my first one, so I want this to be my best bass for a long time cause I'm never going to get rid of it and I'm not going to be getting a bass that's more expensive than this one for a LONG TIME. So for now I can't buy a better one. So for the future anything I buy that's bass-related will be either effects or mods (mostly mods), and I want to mod this one up as much as I can without getting rid of the features I like, such as the neck, bridge, and strings (which I already customized).
So, out of Weezer, Alkaline Trio, RHCP, The Beatles, Jaco, Alkaline trio distorted... there is no sound that you think "fits you?"
I'm listening to Altered Image right now, and I'm thinking: give the Sekin stuff in my profile a listen, that'll give you an idea of how the SPB-1 performs in your band.

In anycase, throw an SPB-1 in it (maybe the SPB-3 would suite you better, the quater pounder has more bawls, but I personally hate the tack) change your pickgaurd and call it a day.

You're talking about "your own" custom bass, and you're playing a Mike Dirnt bass... kind of ironic. Slap the SPB in there, call it a day, don't put stickers on such a nice bass, either... it's a shame. Which color is your bass?

Oh, also, check out the EMG active pups. I used to have those in my P-bass, I absolutely loved them for about a month and then grew to dispise them, greatly, then switched to the SPB-1 and haven't looked back since. They're featured in the Godspeed Janet recording in my profile. Dimarzio's got a HUGE pup for P-basses that's actualy two humbuckers, which I've never heard myself, but I'd imagine it's pretty insane.

And jazz basses aren't just "jazzy," I personally find P-basses to be better suited to jazz and blues.

actually, when I think about... there really isn't any pickup that won't work for your situation... they all will do their jobs, it's your amp that'll make the biggest differance.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Thomme
So, out of Weezer, Alkaline Trio, RHCP, The Beatles, Jaco, Alkaline trio distorted... there is no sound that you think "fits you?"
I'm listening to Altered Image right now, and I'm thinking: give the Sekin stuff in my profile a listen, that'll give you an idea of how the SPB-1 performs in your band.

In anycase, throw an SPB-1 in it (maybe the SPB-3 would suite you better, the quater pounder has more bawls, but I personally hate the tack) change your pickgaurd and call it a day.

You're talking about "your own" custom bass, and you're playing a Mike Dirnt bass... kind of ironic. Slap the SPB in there, call it a day, don't put stickers on such a nice bass, either... it's a shame. Which color is your bass?

Oh, also, check out the EMG active pups. I used to have those in my P-bass, I absolutely loved them for about a month and then grew to dispise them, greatly, then switched to the SPB-1 and haven't looked back since. They're featured in the Godspeed Janet recording in my profile. Dimarzio's got a HUGE pup for P-basses that's actualy two humbuckers, which I've never heard myself, but I'd imagine it's pretty insane.

And jazz basses aren't just "jazzy," I personally find P-basses to be better suited to jazz and blues.

actually, when I think about... there really isn't any pickup that won't work for your situation... they all will do their jobs, it's your amp that'll make the biggest differance.

Well I didn't listen to all your stuff, but I don't listen to Weezer or Alkaline Trio, I don't know any Jaco stuff although I know he's good, I barely listen to the Beatles, and I like RHCP. But I don't play most of that stuff. I also listen to 2 of your Sekin stuff and it's also not what I'm looking for, but it's still good.

I really want the SPB-1 (would I have to change the pickguard for that?) right now so that's why I want to know more about it, so I'm not interested in the SPB-3 or the EMG pickups currently, especially not the EMGs because I want passive electronics.

And yes, I know I have a Mike Dirnt bass, but that's why I'm trying to get away from that because in my head that's not what it is. I want to change and mod it enough so it's different, or "my custom". Cause if you think about it, his bass is completely custom with HIS specs, so if I take away a lot of them and add what I like, then it's even more customized and is no longer HIS. It might have been how I started it, but I want the end result to be more custom. My bass is black btw since you asked, here's a pick of it.

And my Zodiac is basically a thinner version of a P-Bass, it's just that it has both p- and j- bass pickups, and it can get a good jazzy tone for SOME things. But I do realize that Precisions are good for jazz, I love precisions more than anything.
Quote by maidenforce19
Well I didn't listen to all your stuff, but I don't listen to Weezer or Alkaline Trio, I don't know any Jaco stuff although I know he's good, I barely listen to the Beatles, and I like RHCP. But I don't play most of that stuff. I also listen to 2 of your Sekin stuff and it's also not what I'm looking for, but it's still good.

I really want the SPB-1 (would I have to change the pickguard for that?) right now so that's why I want to know more about it, so I'm not interested in the SPB-3 or the EMG pickups currently, especially not the EMGs because I want passive electronics.

And yes, I know I have a Mike Dirnt bass, but that's why I'm trying to get away from that because in my head that's not what it is. I want to change and mod it enough so it's different, or "my custom". Cause if you think about it, his bass is completely custom with HIS specs, so if I take away a lot of them and add what I like, then it's even more customized and is no longer HIS. It might have been how I started it, but I want the end result to be more custom. My bass is black btw since you asked, here's a pick of it.

And my Zodiac is basically a thinner version of a P-Bass, it's just that it has both p- and j- bass pickups, and it can get a good jazzy tone for SOME things. But I do realize that Precisions are good for jazz, I love precisions more than anything.

that ain't mike dirnt's bass, mike dirnt plays a Gibson Ripper, always has, still does from time to time. I dont' associate that bass to mike dirnt.

That bass, honestly, is one of my ideas of a dream bass. 54 style body/pickguard with a standard P pickup and a bad ass? SWEET! The other one happens to be Mark Hoppus'... a J-bass with a P pickup, sweet. I actually almost bought a Mark Hoppus or a Sting bass before I bought my deluxe, just cause I happened to like the basses they played, not because of them. You don't have to have an instrument that 100% custom to you in parts, because with time, the bass itself becomes "yours." Just don't sticker up such a nice bass.

and you can put any 4 string p-bass pickup you want in that thing without having to modify a thing, that's what's cool about fenders, there's so many options. I'll be damned if the pickups, pickguards and necks on my 3 P-basses haven't been from bass to bass.

To me, the sound you're wanting is an SPB-3 if you didn't like the Sekin stuff. The SPB-3 has 1/4" poles, and 1/4lbs of magnet. They're beastly, loud, brash and cut through. Couple that with the Bad Ass Bridge and you've got a GREAT bass. Check out the dimi's, though. I've never had a drive to even look at those pickups, let alone try them out, but we have differant tastes.

Enjoy that bass, though, man. It may have some other bassist's name on it, but it's yours.
tell you what, though, I'll check out some megadeath (I honestly don't know any songs off hand) and try and record tomorrow to give you an idea of what the SPB-1'll do in that type of music.
Quote by Thomme
that ain't mike dirnt's bass, mike dirnt plays a Gibson Ripper, always has, still does from time to time. I dont' associate that bass to mike dirnt.

That bass, honestly, is one of my ideas of a dream bass. 54 style body/pickguard with a standard P pickup and a bad ass? SWEET! The other one happens to be Mark Hoppus'... a J-bass with a P pickup, sweet. I actually almost bought a Mark Hoppus or a Sting bass before I bought my deluxe, just cause I happened to like the basses they played, not because of them. You don't have to have an instrument that 100% custom to you in parts, because with time, the bass itself becomes "yours." Just don't sticker up such a nice bass.

and you can put any 4 string p-bass pickup you want in that thing without having to modify a thing, that's what's cool about fenders, there's so many options. I'll be damned if the pickups, pickguards and necks on my 3 P-basses haven't been from bass to bass.

To me, the sound you're wanting is an SPB-3 if you didn't like the Sekin stuff. The SPB-3 has 1/4" poles, and 1/4lbs of magnet. They're beastly, loud, brash and cut through. Couple that with the Bad Ass Bridge and you've got a GREAT bass. Check out the dimi's, though. I've never had a drive to even look at those pickups, let alone try them out, but we have differant tastes.

Enjoy that bass, though, man. It may have some other bassist's name on it, but it's yours.

That just makes it better that he has a Ripper lol, now it's not really "his". But now you see why I like the bass, not because of his name (his name isn't even on it, just a star on the back, and I hate him now anyway for the most part), but because of the specs. EVERYTHING about it is vintage, and I'm a vintage guy so I love it (especially the thick Maple neck). And I only have one sticker on it from the Iron Maiden Fan Club that has a picture of Eddie that says "Iron Maiden FC" and it blends in with the finish so it doesn't look like a sticker half the time. It's also not a traditional "cheap" sticker that's stupid, and I don't plan on adding more unless I think it would make my bass look better and there was a reason for it. I'm not concerned about the value of this bass because I'm never going to be giving it away, so I don't care if I put a sticker on it.

And I also love the customizability and ease of doing so in p-basses, just as you said. They're SICK! I'll check out the SPB-3 if you want, but I still wanna try to go for the SPB-1.

And I saw your last post, so I'm looking forward to hearing Megadeth