I seem to have a problem. Guitarists seem to always develop a bond with their guitar. My main axe sounds great and I love it, but I don't have like a bond with it. I don't see it as "my guitar" it just kinda seems like a tool to me. Is there something I'm missing? Some divine experience that shall bond me to my guitar forever. I also haven't been able to name it seeing as how I just can't find a connection. So when did you gain a bond with your guitar?
Feed your mind.
i gained a bond with my g-400 when i learned stairway to heaven before that it was a tool and i still loved my pacifica mre
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by Firebread
I seem to have a problem. Guitarists seem to always develop a bond with their guitar. My main axe sounds great and I love it, but I don't have like a bond with it. I don't see it as "my guitar" it just kinda seems like a tool to me. Is there something I'm missing? Some divine experience that shall bond me to my guitar forever. I also haven't been able to name it seeing as how I just can't find a connection. So when did you gain a bond with your guitar?

I think it's something that you really have to experience as a "one-on-one, man-to-axe" sort of thing. Like, try not to think of it as a tool, even though it essentially is. Think of it as the bridge that connects your emotions to your audience. When you play long enough, you'll bond eventually.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
i bonded with my guitar after i customized it to my needs/liking. when it was stock it kinda felt like i was borrowing it from somebody but now that its all modded to my specs i'm completely in love with it.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I have def bonded with my Classical guitar. I would have to say it has just been from playing it so long and achieving almost all my experience on guitar through just this guitar. This guitar was the guitar that I learned my first actually rock song on (had played classical before that obviously :P) It's really special to me and if I lost I would be pretty devastated.

I've been playing it for about 9 years now, but it still does not have a name :O

But I do feel the same as you with my electric, I am having a hard time with it.
when i penetrated my guitar for the first time is when we formed the strongest bond
Don't worry about it if you haven't. Thinking of it as simply a tool is fine, dude.

I "bonded" with my Epiphone the first time I saw it.
i bonded with my jackson the night i scalloped frets 12-24 and put in a dimarzio.
took like 5 hours..
once i get to put new EMGs in my stiletto 5 string it will be like...

edit: I'll have still have my large sized **** tho...
^ A muscularly developed man with a ridiculously undersized penis?

EDIT: Never mind then.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I felt a bond to my strat as soon as I clicked the mid-bridge position. I'll probably like it even more once I get it new pickups.

I felt the same way you feel now about my old guitar back when it was my best axe though; I guess you'll really just want to look around and play whatever you can til' you get "that sound".
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Firebread

David Gilmour has always seen his guitar as a "tool"
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
David Gilmour has always seen his guitar as a "tool"

As has the Edge and numerous others.
I tried bonding with my guitar one night, then my flat mate came home early and caught me. It was very awkward..

In all seriousness I think I kinda got attached to my G400 one night while I was noodling around in front of the TV and I kinda spaced out and all of a sudden she started making sounds that sounded how I felt. Totally trippy.
I tried bonding with my guitar one night after coming home drunk. It smacked me in the face and said i stink like booze cigarettes and cheap women. So i never tried it again. Damn tool!
I dunno, I just fell in love with my guitar the second it left the box, first time I laid eyes on it I was just like...yep, this is MY axe.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have a bond with my squire...my first (and only Electric...til Christmas) guitar...I hate the thing, but I love it...if that makes sense...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
I have a bond with my squire...my first (and only Electric...til Christmas) guitar...I hate the thing, but I love it...if that makes sense...

You mean it plays like crap and/or sounds terrible but you love it anyway 'cause it's your first guitar. I feel like that about my first as well...it needs some maintainence though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
feels ok, but sounds like crap and through my guitar-life, I have come to be a Les Paul guy, and it just isn't what I want...but yes, that is basically it...I love it b/c it's my first, and dammit, I played my first solo on it. haha
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Firebread
So when did you gain a bond with your guitar?
I've got something like ten guitars now, and owned a few others over time, but there's only been two I've felt any kind of 'bond' with.

The first is my first guitar, Epi Joe Perry Boneyard LP. Even though it's a signature guitar of someone else, just the fact that it was my first guitar is enough for me. No neck feels better, nothing sounds better. I suppose I'm a bit of an odd case though, since for most people their first guitar is a Strat copy of some kind with whiney pickups and a dodgy tremolo, not something with Gibson BurstBuckers and top-grade Klusons. Either way - it was my first guitar, I rarely let it out of my site, I never let anyone else touch it. I can't say it has a name or anything, it's pretty much just a purely sentimental bond due to the length of time I've had it.

The second is my Gibson Custom Shop. This one, I can't really explain, and I think this is the best example of a good bond. I'd tried eleven or so other guitars, most of them were the same kind of Gibson Custom Shop, and they all sucked. I was about to give up, when I spotted this one. I thought sod it, might as well give it a try. I was expecting it to be awful. Instead... I don't know. Something just clicked from the second I played it. It's like the neck had been made just for me, the sound was exactly what I'd always wanted. I think of this guitar like a person, she's got a name (which, if it makes any difference, doesn't have any meaning behind it - the name just stuck in my head from the first minute I was playing her), now I can't stand the idea of anyone else playing her or her being damaged ever. I don't know what it is, there was just something that clicked.

It's not something you can force or make happen, nor should you try to. There's no point forcing yourself to give a damn about something you don't. Don't even look for it. If you happen to pick up a guitar one day and you get that feeling, get that guitar right away. You may have to pick up a hundred guitars before that happens, but that's okay. Just wait and see what happens.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.

Bond? James Bond.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.