Alright, so a friend turned me onto EMG pickups. Gilmour's use about sealed it for me. I just have one question; without routing my strat, is there any way I could get easy access to the battery? Even if it's only one a year or so, I'd still going to wear on the pickguard and screws to unscrew it each year, so i was hoping for an alternative solution that allowed tool-less access, WITHOUT ROUTING.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Gilmour only used them because they were noiseless and when they were touring his old pups were picking up radio signals. He said he didn't like them as much as the regular pups and switched to lace pickup eventually and now uses standard strat pups in his sig with a duncan ssl5 custom in the bridge.

Honestly, if you're going for gilmours tone I would just stick with standard strat pups, his tone mostly came from fuzz pedals and hiwatts.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
FYI, Gilmour uses them for the quietness, not the good tone.

Anyways you would have to route the strat because it is a tight fit. I suppose you could get a hardtail bridge and use the cavity in the back to hold the battery, but I bet that is too drastic.

If I were you, I wouldn't get those tone lacking EMGs (IMO of course) and would get something handwound. Or at least get some Kinmans. Silent and have the closest strat tone ( according to some people).

^Damnit, beaten by the Saale.
Quote by acdcrocks0323

Anyways you would have to route the strat because it is a tight fit.

i fit two 9 volts under the pickguard of my strat with room.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Well then go ahead. I still don't think it would be the smartest or most toneful idea though.

Agreed.

In addition to the batteries you'd need to completely replace all your pots and your output jack if I'm not mistaken.
Hmm...alright then, another question, specifically for Saale since he has a strat with these pickups; how are the Tex Mex pickups? They were what I was looking at until the EMG's.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Great pickups for the price. You could probably get a whole set used off ebay for less than 100 bucks. My only complaint is the bridge wasn't hot enough for my tastes, so I've ended up with a duncan quarter pounder and it's working out nicely. It basically a super hot single coil (almost like a p90) and is great for thickening up the bridge position.

I tried a baseplate on the bridge too (pretty simple to install) and it worked pretty well, I had a problem with it being microphonic, but it wasn't really potted right and I didn't feel assed to take the time.

I should note, I've also played through real texas specials and even put one in my guitar, all to not really notice a difference.
Crap, didn't realize how cheap they were. When I messed up one of mine I replaced it with a real texax special, I guess I didn't notice how much cheaper those were. That's less than half what the real deal costs, though if you have that much to spend I'd be looking at lindy fralin and the likes.
Well I'm not looking to replace quite yet, but I'm thinking it is between these and some of those GFS pups. Heard great things about GFS, but I trust your word more than some random reviews.

I'll hafta find a guitar with a set of these (or at least Texas Specials) to see if they are good to my ear.
SRV strat has specials, jimmie vaughan strat has tex mex and I think another mexican strat comes with them though I couldn't tell you which one.