*I read the anchor guide*

I would like to know how I could cleanly and evenly tremolo pick while not anchoring (wasn't mentioned in the guide)... It seems almost impossible. Am I supposed to use just my wrist/arm or what? This whole switching over to not anchoring confuses the living shit out of me (however I have promised to myself to keep at till after December) any help appreciated.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Ok, pick as you have been before you anchored. Relax and gently curl in fingers, so they don't touch the guitar. Gently lift arm about a millimeter off the surface of the guitar. Pick as before.

If this doesn't work, why not?

Please explain in detail and I'll have a go at helping out.
Oh, I've been using the "floating" thing where the hand doesn't touch guitar in any place except it brushes lightly over the strings to mute them. I've got that part down ok for now, but tremolo picking is hard, like playing a single note 10 times fast or w/e.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Probably you're just used to tensing up to play single notes quickly, and need to leave that bad habit behind. If you can alt pick, you can tremolo, it's the same thing, just without changing notes with the left hand or crossing strings.
Work up slowly. After revising your picking technique you will always need to bring up your speed again.
just play slower than youre used to, and eventually you will get used to playing fast without anchoring.

I anchored when i very first started playing, stopped anchoring...my playing seemed to go to shit, but after a few days my body forgot it had ever anchored.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
I was going to make this same thread.How the Hell can you play some old school death metal (example Evil Spells or Visions From The Dark Side by Morbid Angel) without touching the body of the guitar at all?

I have come to the conclusion we should all just stick to how we learned in the first place.
Well my arm still touches the body and that seems to be fine Daryl.

Thanks guys, I'll be working on that, my 'practice" was just playing songs I already know + the standard Major scale for the week or so I've been doing this.
Quote by Daryl_Summers
I was going to make this same thread.How the Hell can you play some old school death metal (example Evil Spells or Visions From The Dark Side by Morbid Angel) without touching the body of the guitar at all?

In the sense you likely mean, very doable (muting aside which is a technique in its own
right).

All I can say is it's simple and obvious, but it took some work to get to that awareness.
Rather than settling for a comfortable but limiting technique, if you persue constant
technique improvement, which might even require complete overhaul, you may one
day find out for yourself.
Quote by Daryl_Summers
I have come to the conclusion we should all just stick to how we learned in the first place.

I just give up.

...without touching the body of the guitar at all?

Just read the anchoring thread at the top and you'll see that "touching" isn't the issue.
Still not quite there with the trem picking while not anchoring >_>
Regardless of how long you've been working at it, you've only had the advice given in this thread for Two days. It takes longer than that, so keep practicing it, slowly, and within control. Based on threads I've seen of other people working on the same thing, for most people it takes a couple months to go from anchoring to being completely relaxed and in control without anchoring.
It took me about a year, maybe even longer. I was in the same boat. It's hard to
see it now because you have certain assumptions about picking. Everybody does
and those are internalized. If you've internalized touching the guitar to stabilize
your picking hand, you'll find it hard to imagine the internalization without it or why
you don't need to and how it may be limiting your growth.

Perhaps the best advice you can get at this point, isn't being told exact picking details, but
how it FEELS to someone who has overcome the limitations of stabilizing the hand on
the guitar. Since internal feeling can't be described exactly, analogy is generally the
best means to point the way. Essentially, you're on a search to internalize the way
it's "supposed to feel when you're doing it right", and everybody has do their own search.

For instance, what helped me out at one point, was an article I read at guitar principles
about "playing from the string". It described how the string would "feel" rubbery, soft
and elastic when playing with it, and hard and unyielding when not. Naturally the string
doesn't change, but a description of this internal feeling by analogy gave me a nice
target I could look for, find and try to reproduce internally and it helped a lot.
Quote by nvranka
just play slower than youre used to, and eventually you will get used to playing fast without anchoring.

I anchored when i very first started playing, stopped anchoring...my playing seemed to go to ****, but after a few days my body forgot it had ever anchored.

This is pretty much what happened with me. I stopped anchoring and after a few days my picking hand basically improved five times as fast as I was.

Basically if you just started "floating" then it's going to take a while (give it a week) before you're totally up to speed. After you get back to the norm it will be habitual to NOT anchor, and you'll really start to see the benefits at first.

I really, really defended anchoring, until I quit. After about two weeks of not anchoring, I knew I couldn't go back. Just stick with it man.

Quote by Daryl_Summers

Or we could improve ourselves by fixing our imperfections. So we don't all end up with tendonitus or carpotunnel (sp?).
Last edited by edusty2010 at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Daryl_Summers

I started playing in 1992. Had a teacher the first 6 months and made fairly good progress, and went it alone the rest of the way. With the internet being pretty limited in those days, there weren't really many resources online (or elsewhere) for me to learn from. As a result, I had to pretty much figure out how to improve as a guitarist by myself. You know what? I lost years with barely any progress that a few tips from an experienced guitarist could have helped me avoid. I'm not one to cry over spilled milk, but I know that if I had those years back I would be a lot better guitarist today.

So what I'm getting at, is that the advice from Freepower and edg and others is really valuable. Similar advice all those years ago would have saved me years of frustration, and despite being an experienced guitarist now, I still get a lot from their posts. I'm not getting ****ty or anything, but I think you should at least consider what they are saying and give it a try. Like I said, I stuck to how I learned it in the first place all that time, simply because I had no info in my case, and I lost a lot of time that could have been more productive.
I've been floating for a bit over a week, and I don't have any anchor tendencies except for tremolo picking I'm still not able to play stairway solo smoothly as I like, but I can play the Major scale a lot fast (not really my goal but I have no clue what else to play as I practice this).

I need to work on smaller hand movements, timing both hands together right.
It's really hard since the arm movement makes the guitar shake + it's neck heavy as hell... And standing up, oh wow >_>
Quote by AlucardZero
It's really hard since the arm movement makes the guitar shake + it's neck heavy as hell... And standing up, oh wow >_>

We really don't need daily updates dude, that's what your blog is for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
We really don't need daily updates dude, that's what your blog is for.

Well it was more of an informed bump that somebody could fill in, you know... >_> But I find blogs useless so I won't use them
I find this thread a bit puzzling - I'm a stubborn, set-in-my ways guitarist so I still anchor pretty much all the time and have done for over 15 years - i'm gradually trying to wean myself off it but if truth be told I don't play fast enough for it to actually limit me. I have, however, noticed how much freer and easier your movements are when you play floating. However the one thing I automatically used a free hand from right from when I started trying to learn it was tremolo picking, I simply couldn't see any other way to do it.

And did I read that right about the Stairway solo? Because that doesn't have any tremolo picking in it - likewise practicing the major scale, there's not an awful lot of point in beating yourself up over a technique if you don't actually have a use for it yet. Certainly don't waste a whole month trying to nail tremolo picking, it really isn't all that important. Put it on the backburner and come back to it later on when you're a better all-round guitarist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 22, 2008,
this is all kinda outrageous. anchoring or floating should be a choice in comfort. plenty of great guitarists anchor and the differences are so tiny it isnt worth the bother. from a metal guitarists standpoint, there is no way you could possibly play the songs i play with a floating hand, there is simply too much palm muting going on etc. i say anchor away, as long as you can get your hands around the strings accurately do whats comfortable.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by jordanzio
this is all kinda outrageous. anchoring or floating should be a choice in comfort. plenty of great guitarists anchor and the differences are so tiny it isnt worth the bother. from a metal guitarists standpoint, there is no way you could possibly play the songs i play with a floating hand, there is simply too much palm muting going on etc. i say anchor away, as long as you can get your hands around the strings accurately do whats comfortable.

1st--the "Famous guitarists do it so I can too" is the most failed argument in the history of the MT/AT forums (or at least close to it).
2nd--It's entirely possible to palm mute without anchoring.
Quote by jordanzio

Steve Morse...Anchorer.

Steve Morse...CTS sufferer.

Those two statements are linked. You fail.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Steve Morse...Anchorer.

Steve Morse...CTS sufferer.

Those two statements are linked. You fail.

Then again, he's been playing for about 30 years+, and some anchorers don't have that issue.

Also, I'm not defending anchoring, I personally abhor it, but it depends on the person, in Steve's case he's got pretty damn good technique, yet somehow does extreme anchoring >_<
Quote by Orbit91
Then again, he's been playing for about 30 years+, and some anchorers don't have that issue.

There are a couple of people here on UG who can attest to the direct link between anchoring, tension and CTS, Morse is just the famous case.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There are a couple of people here on UG who can attest to the direct link between anchoring, tension and CTS, Morse is just the famous case.

Their fault for anchoring
I wonder when MAB and Petrucci are going to get T-rex hands?
Quote by Orbit91
Their fault for anchoring
I wonder when MAB and Petrucci are going to get T-rex hands?

MAB is very relaxed and his picking motion is almost entirely unique, he'll be fine. I'm still waiting on Trooch though.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
MAB is very relaxed and his picking motion is almost entirely unique, he'll be fine. I'm still waiting on Trooch though.

It'll go when he's doing a spastic tremolo run
thats only one instance and it could stem from other issues besides just anchoring. there are plenty of other players who anchor and dont have tendonitis. one example isnt the general rule, just like one playing style doesnt fit all.
Quote by jordanzio
thats only one instance and it could stem from other issues besides just anchoring. there are plenty of other players who anchor and dont have tendonitis. one example isnt the general rule, just like one playing style doesnt fit all.

Give me one example of a shredder who anchors who isn't: John Petrucci, Steve Morse or MAB.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
george lynch and michael schenker are two who come to mind instantly. i could look for many more
michael romeo also anchors with his pinky
Guthrie anchors too.

Besides, look at two players who don't anchor, like Shawn Lane or Allan Holdsworth, see how incredibly fast, precise and relaxed they are?
oh i see that as well. im just saying there are no absolutes in technique. only what works best for the player to achieve their final goal. sure shawn lane is very fast and clean but then again, so is michael romeo who anchors. so it just depends on what works for you. dont be so totally worried about the whole anchoring thing. its really not a major issue at all
Quote by jordanzio
george lynch and michael schenker are two who come to mind instantly. i could look for many more

George Lynch? You mean this George Lynch? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uOVqQNJUHNQ

The one with the completely floating hand?

Anyway, I think you need to read the sticky and update your definition of the term "anchoring" because at the minute we're talking about different things.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Orbit91
Besides, look at two players who don't anchor, like Shawn Lane or Allan Holdsworth, see how incredibly fast, precise and relaxed they are?

Allan anchors two fingers and almost never picks.

More to the point, jordanzio, have you read the "DON'T MAKE ANCHORING THREADS!" sticky? I suggest you do.

Secondly, can you give reasons to recommend anchoring that ARE NOT debunked in said sticky?

Thirdly, MAB, Romeo and Yngwie all have picking motions that strongly compensate for the fact they anchor. MAB and Yngwie have a system which minimises the effects of anchoring two fingers, and Romeo circle picks when he isn't using the same system as Yngwie.

Finally, I am so incredibly sick and tired of hearing

"Just do what feels comfortable".

Quite frankly, that's not a contribution, it's a cop out.

Not when used in a very specific sense, but seriously, it doesn't answer anything. If someone is ASKING FOR HELP, then what is comfortable for them ISN'T WORKING.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to tear my hair out and cry with frustration.
Guthrie Govan's Anchoring is much more relaxed than most anchored playing, and he only has fingers on the guitar part of the time.

And ^^^, seeing as Shawn Lane had THE best alternate picking ever (if someone can show me better I'd love to see it but I don't believe there is any), perhaps his way of doing it IS actually the best. You never know how those other guys would do if they had gone with a floating hand or whatever--you can only observe their level with their current technique, not their potential with another. Thus, you can't say that Shawn Lane's way of picking is the best period, but you also can't really say it's not...

After writing that, I feel like I made a really simple idea in my head really confusing and hard to understand.

Simply, There may be an ultimate way of picking that works the best (shawn lane's) or there may not, but you can't tell as not all guitar players have learned to pick like shawn lane to compare it to their own method of picking and see which is better.

And Zaphod, if you really want me to I can give you plenty examples of anchored shredders who aren't one of those three.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Nov 22, 2008,
I think we're getting away from the definition of what anchoring is, at least in any way that means something. Anchoring is not touching your guitar (as in, exagerrated for effect - "I put my guitar in my lap, am I anchoring with my leg?"), it is fixing part of your hand/arm to the guitar in a way that limits freedom of motion - i.e. the other motions are having to basically pivot around the anchored point. For example, just because Romeo's pinky often sticks out and brushes against the body of the guitar, doesn't constitute anchoring because he's not limiting his motion in anyway because of that. If it was pressed to the guitar, so that the other motions had to change to accomodate that, then it would be anchoring.
Quote by TheShred201
And Zaphod, if you really want me to I can give you plenty examples of anchored shredders who aren't one of those three.

You can never just back me up can you grif?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^ truth is more important than circle-jerking. Which is why I've been rather unfond of the recent attitude of MT in general.

^ pretty much... (se012101)

...as was made pretty clear in the thread that is devoted to this subject at the top of the forum. Not having a dig at you for making that post, but the vast majority of confusion is because people assume it means touching the guitar in any way and will ask how it is possible to play without doing so. Which detracts from the whole entirely obvious point that if your hand is fixed to something, you will have less freedom of motion and less control.

Anyway, I can't see any use in keeping this open. As it says in the sticky, PM me if you feel you can raise an issue not covered in the sticky.