Just as the title says, I'm lookin for a good sounding guitar up to $1,000. Lookin for a van halen sound mostly. Any ideas? I don't give a crap about the looks really...although I don't want something totally hideous
Would a standard strat with a humbucker be a good call?
Thanks in advance.
A HSS strat would probably do the trick.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Jacksons and Ibanez
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Judging by your screen name (Quiet Riot guitarist) and your choice of Van Halen I'm guessing 80's metal. . . If your looking for some whammy bar stuff along those lines I would get something with a Floyd Rose or Original Edge or Edge Pro and at least a humbucker in the bridge. For $1000 there are so many good choices.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
'06 Fender Strat MIM w/Carvin AP11's
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone LTD ED. SG w/EMG 81/85
Schecter Damien FR
'08 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
'04 Carvin CT4M
'91 Jackson Professional Stealth Pro

Quote by CarlosCavazo
Would a standard strat with a humbucker be a good call?

No, for EVH style whammy stuff you need a double locking tremolo, not a vintage style one.

I'm also assuming that you don't own a vintage Marshall Plexi; that's the key part in getting a Van Halen tone. Either way you'll be wanting a vintage sounding humbucker in the bridge but we kind of need more information to be of any real use.

What kind of guitars do you like?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
second hand carvin from ebay.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
to extrememetalftw: What kind of Ibanez?

to PBI: what kind of good choices are there?

to Iceman 420: Crappy MG amp (list possible upgrades if you want to, thanks); Location- US Naval base in the bahamas; doesn't matter if it's new or used.

to Zaphod: the guitar I have now is a gibson explorer, and some crappy beginner guitar (for whammy purposes). I'm lookin to upgrade the beginner one to another whammy VH sounding guitar. I use my explorer for music like the scorpions, guns n roses etc. looks don't matter that much to me like I said.
I just bought an Ibanez Presige RG2610e on sunday. I was lookin' for an 80's type shredder with a single humbucker. It's kind of limited due to the single hum and may not have got it if I didn't have other pick up configuratios with other guitars. (Yeah, I would have. . . I love that 80's guitar driven metal which is why I had to have it. )

If I had an Explorer and $1000 and was looking to buy a more versitle guitar for yor purposes I'd probably buy either . . . Ibanez RG2550, Jackson Dk2m (my fav right now out of the jackson line and a lot less than $1000), Schecter C-1 Hellraiser of Blackjack FR. . .

One's that currently interest me but haven't played as of yet: Charvel So Cal 1 2H, B.C. Rich Gunlinger Retro (hear they are pertty good believe it or not), Ibanez RG770 reissue (a little over price range) and The ESP EC-1000 with floyd rose.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
Schecter Damien FR
'04 Carvin CT4M

Quote by PBI
I just bought an Ibanez Presige RG2610e on sunday. I was lookin' for an 80's type shredder with a single humbucker. It's kind of limited due to the single hum and may not have got it if I didn't have other pick up configuratios with other guitars. (Yeah, I would have. . . I love that 80's guitar driven metal which is why I had to have it. )

If I had an Explorer and $1000 and was looking to buy a more versitle guitar for yor purposes I'd probably buy either . . . Ibanez RG2550, Jackson Dk2m (my fav right now out of the jackson line and a lot less than $1000), Schecter C-1 Hellraiser of Blackjack FR. . .

One's that currently interest me but haven't played as of yet: Charvel So Cal 1 2H, B.C. Rich Gunlinger Retro (hear they are pertty good believe it or not), Ibanez RG770 reissue (a little over price range) and The ESP EC-1000 with floyd rose.

Thanks man. Good to see another 80's fan shredding
I'll be sure to look into those!
Could you recommend a good practice amp? I'm using a Boss metal zone mt-2 on my ****ty MG30 amp and want a better one...
To be honest about a practice amp. . . anything. I practice with a little Line 6 Spider most of the time because it's easy to set up and has a lot of differnt sounds. Bottom line, if more people would "practice" rather than bull**** themselves that they would sound so much better with better gear there would be a lot more better guitarists. I used to be in search of the perfect tone. . . more than I was on my playing. Practice means practice. If you're recording or playin' out that's another story but I see kids with top of the line boutique stuff like furniture in their room. Yeah, you play a couple covers fairly well and impress your friends with all the money you dropped on your "practice" rig but a kid can come in pop the on switch on his Line 6 and massacre you with his playing skills because he practices all the time. Huh?

Anyway for a practice amp I reccomed a modelling amp simply because of the wide range of tones you can get with it. Change is good while developing your skills. Change will keep ya pickin' and that's really all that you will keep in the end; The hours you spent stummin.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

'86 Carvin V220
'92 Carvin DC135c
Schecter Damien FR
'04 Carvin CT4M

Quote by PBI
To be honest about a practice amp. . . anything. I practice with a little Line 6 Spider most of the time because it's easy to set up and has a lot of differnt sounds. Bottom line, if more people would "practice" rather than bull**** themselves that they would sound so much better with better gear there would be a lot more better guitarists. I used to be in search of the perfect tone. . . more than I was on my playing. Practice means practice. If you're recording or playin' out that's another story but I see kids with top of the line boutique stuff like furniture in their room. Yeah, you play a couple covers fairly well and impress your friends with all the money you dropped on your "practice" rig but a kid can come in pop the on switch on his Line 6 and massacre you with his playing skills because he practices all the time. Huh?

Anyway for a practice amp I reccomed a modelling amp simply because of the wide range of tones you can get with it. Change is good while developing your skills. Change will keep ya pickin' and that's really all that you will keep in the end; The hours you spent stummin.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Yea... I'm not one of those kids heh.
I'm not really lookin for a perfect sound, I just wanna play. But this MG is kinda rediculous... I hear alot about peavy amps and roland etc. Any thoughts?
I'd get the prestige. For an amp...Vypyr or a Roland Cube? Heard the bandits are good but I haven't personally tried out their sounds.

Amen to the person that said the "practice over sound" thing. I don't know many covers over my 11 month experience on guitar but I've practiced my techniques and my theory knowledge quite a lot. I'm far from being awesome but I enjoy /practicing/.

Know what EVH did to become what he is? Whenever his brother went to a party to get drunk, score some chicks, do drugs he stayed home with his cheap guitar and amp and he practiced like if he had to pull off a song at last minute warning the next day. He said so himself and he is what he is now. Practice makes perfection. Simple as that and enjoy whichever guitar you decide to get.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by RR787
I'd get the prestige. For an amp...Vypyr or a Roland Cube? Heard the bandits are good but I haven't personally tried out their sounds.

Amen to the person that said the "practice over sound" thing. I don't know many covers over my 11 month experience on guitar but I've practiced my techniques and my theory knowledge quite a lot. I'm far from being awesome but I enjoy /practicing/.

Know what EVH did to become what he is? Whenever his brother went to a party to get drunk, score some chicks, do drugs he stayed home with his cheap guitar and amp and he practiced like if he had to pull off a song at last minute warning the next day. He said so himself and he is what he is now. Practice makes perfection. Simple as that and enjoy whichever guitar you decide to get.

yea, I heard a similar story:
Eddy was originally gunna drum and alex guitar (thank god that didn't happen :P). when eddie was at work to pay for the drum set, alex would play it.

I hear you though; I've only been playing since march, but I play from 5 to 7 hours daily and I can play hard songs like eruption, cliffs of dover, etc. To me,the funnest part about playing guitar is learning more stuff. Perfecting it is fun, but just getting up the steps to being able to play the song is great.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Quote by VoodooCow229
A HSS strat would probably do the trick.

He said nothing absolutely hideous.

....sorry that was harsh.

but try like...a Hellraiser? Floyd Rose AND a gorgeous body.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
For under $1k, you should be able to find a nice used Music Man Axis SuperSport with a Floyd.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1