Page 1 of 2
Ever mention a band that seemingly everyone should know, but someone manages to ask, "Who is that?"

Last night I went to a movie with a girl I like and we went to Wal*Mart afterward just to avoid going home (I also asked her to help me pick out a Christmas gift for my mom).

We went to look at CD's and I asked her to help me find The Police. She asked me who they were, and all I could do was stare with my jaw dropped. I asked, "Do you seriously not know who The Police are? Do you at least know of Sting?" and she had no clue.

I listed off songs they've done, Message In a Bottle, Synchronicity, Roxanne, Every Breath You Take, Desert Rose (by Sting, of course), etc etc.

Still not a clue.

I found and bought The Very Best of Sting and The Police and as soon as we got to my car I scanned through each song to see if she recognized any of them. The only one was Every Breath You Take , and I'll guess that's because it's played at every high school dance in the United States.

Anyhow, I was shocked. Has something like this (someone doesn't know of a band who everyone is supposed to know) happened to anyone else?
Lamo
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Quote by guylee
every breath you take at dances? that's effin creepy

People slow-dance to it.
Quote by guylee

That is really creepy.
my roommate besides rap, knows of Bruce Springstein, Bon Jovi, and Guns n Roses. I mentioned Queen once and he looked at me like I had three I heads. He had no idea they were responsible for We Will Rock You
Yeah i was talking to someone about metallica once and they said "i like their new song 'inside the fire'"

Metallica....

i though everyone knew those guys
Quote by guylee

My thoughts exactlly..
even though many high schoolers turn out to be stalkers

Some say cooincidence...I just lol and walk it off

EDIT: Omg i got sigged ^ =O!!!!
<3
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by Twist of fate
That song playing ANYWHERE is really creepy.

Now I feel like a fvcking creep for even liking the song....
Sting and The Police aren't exactly the most popular bands though, now have they, to my knowledge, really had much recent exposure. If you mentioned something along the lines of Metallica or Led Zeppelin, perhaps, then it'd be a far more understandable "WTF moment" kinda thing.
If not for Guitar Hero II, no one in my school would know of Kansas, and guess where I live?
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by VanCamp
If not for Guitar Hero II, no one in my school would know of Kansas, and guess where I live?

Boston?
Quote by dudius
People slow-dance to it.

But isn't it about a pedophilistic, rapist who is also a voyeur?

The creepy 45 year old single science teacher probably only signs up to chapperone the dances so he can rub a quick one out in a toilet stall after watching you all dance to it.
Quote by Alexishxc1337
Europe?

Asia?

Quote by KeepOnRotting
Sting and The Police are pretty popular, but I don't think I'd "WTF" at someone if they didn't know them. Especially if it was a girl I liked. My buddy hadn't heard of MGMT today, but that's easily forgivable. I know a lot of people into punk rock who could never name some classic rock like Steve Miller Band or anything. Pathetic.
Quote by VanadiumLG
Yeah i was talking to someone about metallica once and they said "i like their new song 'inside the fire'"

Metallica....

i though everyone knew those guys

well when all anybody ever hears about is Akon or one of those other queers, things like this no longer shock me
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by heaven's gate
Boston?

Kansas? Yes. Good job.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by VanCamp
Kansas? Yes. Good job.

You apparantly didnt c wut we did thar..
Boston, Europe, and Asia are all band names.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
Quote by VanCamp
Kansas? Yes. Good job.

Halloween, Alaska?

(stretch, I know)
Quote by LaGrange
Asia?

I never meant to be so bad to you!
And,yes, icwutudidthar. Shut the **** up!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Last edited by VanCamp at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by LaGrange
You apparantly didnt c wut we did thar..
Boston, Europe, and Asia are all band names.

Kansas is a band name.

WTF moment?
Quote by KwikKopy
Kansas is a band name.

WTF moment?

Oh shi--
My bad but i think the point was to avoid the obvious and use band names.
Mission accomplished !

Quote by KeepOnRotting
Quote by Raiderkid38
well when all anybody ever hears about is Akon or one of those other queers, things like this no longer shock me

no she listens to jesus rock....... not even the good jesus rock.
Quote by Twist of fate
Don't, since it's actually about an angel or a parent, it's actually kind of nice.

See, that's what I've always imagined.

But I still defend my stance: I feel everyone should at least know of The Police. I agree they haven't had much recent exposure, but they're played on every Classic Rock station and any station that plays 80's music at any time of the day.

But I admit some of you guys have strong arguments.
Quote by heaven's gate
My WTF moment was last night during Quantum of Solace when Fields was introduced.

I just saw that, why did it make you go wtf.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I've known quite a few people who didn't know who Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rush, etc. were. Quite strange.
Psst the only Police song I could name you is Roxanne. Am I uneducated in the world of rock or music? I'd hardly think so.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by thefuzz454
Psst the only Police song I could name you is Roxanne. Am I uneducated in the world of rock or music? I'd hardly think so.

I have eclectic tastes, so perhaps my problem is that I'm assuming everyone should know when really only old folks or people who listen to "Adult Alternative" are the ones who I should assume would know.
My sister had a friend over a while ago, and while we were eating supper i was humming stairway (I know) and i was like I love Led Zeppelin. And then the friend was like who's that? and I almost sh!t a brick. She said she didn't know who they were and I was like ok, it could happen. Then I started humming a song by Jimi Hendrix and she didn't know who they were. I proceeded to name off all sorts of bands, AC/DC, Floyd, The Who, I went on and on and she was clueless. I didn't know what to think. She must have been musically illiterate.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Quote by thefuzz454

i agree, but i mean, you still know about The Police right? and Sting and such.

i dont know many songs from some famous bands (such as kansas i could only name carry on wayward son and dust in the wind (which i dont even think is their original....is it?))
Banquo?

X
Once this person I knew didn't know who [insert band] was. I was schocked, as I couldn't imagine someone having different tastes than me.
Quote by Twist of fate
That song playing ANYWHERE is really creepy.

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you

{begin fade out}

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you

I'll be watching you
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Page 1 of 2