Page 1 of 2
Why do most metal bands tune to Drop C?

well metal core bands? they all seem to tune to drop c, or tune down a whole step,

bands like killswitch engage, bullet for my vallentine, all that remains, parkway drive well ya know those are the only ones i can think of at the moment, why do they tune down?

Thankks!
Does it matter?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
They do it because it sounds lower, basically. I think they're going for a heavier sound, but IMO all they do is drown out the bass and toms...
Nope, no sig here.
Its just for a darker deeper tone. And to be honest, its less of a challenge to play in drop tunings. 1 finger makes a chord.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Its just for a darker deeper tone. And to be honest, its less of a challenge to play in drop tunings. 1 finger makes a chord.

On the other hand it makes some things possible to play, not all the songs in the world can be played in standard tunings you know.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
edit: ^ Just because they can. I know of a couple of local bands that do it just so they can say that they do it.

Quote by crzywhiteboy
Why do other bands drop half step down?
Why play in Standard ?

For the same reason others tune to drop C, and because most strings are made be at the proper tension in standard.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
On the other hand it makes some things possible to play, not all the songs in the world can be played in standard tunings you know.

lie

Every song in the world ever written that uses a note to produce sound can be played on guitar in standard tuning

its just hard as hell

and it might not be the same octave

EDIT: to the guy who asked about the whole step drop

its possible they are lower for their vocalists range
Quote by hightension01
lie

Every song in the world ever written that uses a note to produce sound can be played on guitar in standard tuning

its just hard as hell

Whatever man, I'm just fed up of people saying "OMGZ Drop tueningz R 4 teh N00bz!"

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Some millenia ago a wise man experienced sore fingers. He thought to himself, "What if I reduce the tension?" Well he did and it made his bending easier, gave him some good lows, and helped his pinch harmonics On another note it does sound darker (as it should). If you do make sure to change to appropriate strings and adjust your bridge if needbe.

peace
hmmm ok thanks guys,

but i notice alot of bands that play in drop C palm mute the open low E string and play that alot. it gives it that metal sorta crunch, and i not sure if it has much to do with vocalist range cause they all scream mostly...

but yeah..

hey does anyone know if i want to keep my guitar permantly tuned in drop c will i have to get the truss rod and bridge hieght and intonaion re done?
Because it sounds awesome. Only band i ever play that use similar tunings are Queens of the Stone age. It helps give that nice, punchy, fat sound

That fat punchy sound can be heard in No One Knows, etc.
Quote by Griffo01
Because it sounds awesome. Only band i ever play that use similar tunings are Queens of the Stone age. It helps give that nice, punchy, fat sound

That fat punchy sound can be heard in No One Knows, etc.

The effect of tuning to C can be heard a lot better in Hommes old band Kyuss. Kyuss were bloody awesome.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
becauuse it sounds so br00talz!!!!! lul
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
'Cos they feel like it.

While we're on the topic, Josh Homme said in an interview that he tunes down to C standard just because no one does that.
Quote by leephan
While we're on the topic, Josh Homme said in an interview that he tunes down to C standard just because no one does that.

And he's wrong

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by telecastermetal
Why do most metal bands tune to Drop C?

well metal core bands? they all seem to tune to drop c, or tune down a whole step,

bands like killswitch engage, bullet for my vallentine, all that remains, parkway drive well ya know those are the only ones i can think of at the moment, why do they tune down?

Thankks!

Parkway drive usually tune to Drop B and suicide silence tune to Drop A, so dont winge about tuneing down, if you dont like it, dont do it
[A Portrait For The Deceased]

I swear they just went into the special ed. class and got one of them to slam their foreheads on the keyboard.
I once masturbated on some dudes arm.
Last edited by xBENx at Nov 17, 2008,
Br00tal purposes.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The effect of tuning to C can be heard a lot better in Hommes old band Kyuss. Kyuss were bloody awesome.

Especially the song "Writhe". Prime example of heaviness.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by leephan
'While we're on the topic, Josh Homme said in an interview that he tunes down to C standard just because no one does that.
He lied then. That's not why they originally tuned to C.
to the people doing Drop A and Drop B - is a bassist even really that necessary? lol

this is something i'm wondering given the increasing use of 7's and 8 strings as well...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I've not heard much from Kyuss except on YouTube videos. Looks like i'll have to properly check them out
Quote by yenners
to the people doing Drop A and Drop B - is a bassist even really that necessary?

Yes it is, bass is more than just low notes, it's also a completely different tone.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes it is, bass is more than just low notes, it's also a completely different tone.

Also, the the bass would still be tuned an octave lower than the guitar.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
i do it because it's easier on the singer
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
My band plays in primarily a whole step down with a few songs in Drop C. We do it 'cause it's heavier. Standard isn't low enough for what we play.
Quote by yenners
to the people doing Drop A and Drop B - is a bassist even really that necessary? lol

this is something i'm wondering given the increasing use of 7's and 8 strings as well...

ever heard of a 5 or 6 string bass
Drop tuning is not easier that standard tuning. Play Burning Pits of the Duat by Nile and tell me it's easy. The reason people tune down is to make different sounds on the guitar. D and C minor are tow very good metal scales, and tuning to drop D and drop C makes those tunings more guitar friendly. Also, to the whole tension argument, people use thicker string gauges when they tune down. When I kept my old Ibanez in drop C, I used .11 gauge strings, and now that I play in standard, I use .09's.

It's just to sound different.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Firewind Raging
Also, the the bass would still be tuned an octave lower than the guitar.

Well obviously but I think yenners is talking about filling in the bass end of the sound spectrum, where notes are not everything (although obviously they play a large part) but tone also plays a large part.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Different tuning make your guitar and sound more versitile, thats about it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

point well taken, i agree.
Quote by smb
He lied then. That's not why they originally tuned to C.

I remember him saying something about not knowing how to tune to standard or something like that and they liked how it sounded.
Because they cant play in standard tunings, 1 fingered power chords hell yea we can play faster!!
Quote by Fender Usa
Because they cant play in standard tunings, 1 fingered power chords hell yea we can play faster!!

Give us a cover of your youtube vid playing walk in drop d standard perfectly without any ****ups and then stfu. Oh wait, thats downtuning also, I could say you would be a noob for using D standard for the lower string tension...lose lose situation...

Quote by Mutant Corn
They do it because it sounds lower, basically. I think they're going for a heavier sound, but IMO all they do is drown out the bass and toms...

Not really, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theaters stuff on Train of Thought was in C standard for the most part.

Quote by crzywhiteboy
Why do other bands drop half step down?
Why play in Standard ?

+1

Quote by hightension01
lie

its just hard as hell

EDIT: to the guy who asked about the whole step drop

its possible they are lower for their vocalists range

Piano goes lower than guitar and bass guitar...how do you account for those compositions. I'm pretty sure the tuba is lower than guitar. Both of those instruments outdate the standard tuning on guitar by ages. Maybe we should all ditch our guitars for pianos, and play the same song and dance that everyone else played just so it can be "standard", or standardized, or unoriginal.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
also helps a lot with vocals! It's much easier to sing(scream) in that tuning... if anyone is looking for a set to complement any drop tuning I'd recommend Ernie Ball Beefy(11-54) or Not Even(12-56) Slinky sets!
Page 1 of 2