I want something More Deathly then my current Pickups in my schecter C-1 Classic which are Jazz pickups...

I want a Range from Classic Metal metallica Black sabbath- Modern Metal 5FDP lamb of god that kind of deal

Looking at Dimarzio D Activators or I hear Bare Knuckles can get pretty nasty looking at the Painkillers,
Or should I just Bite the Bullet and join the Active team, I really love Passive but most the ones I'm playing with dont get me exactly where I want to be.

as for Actives is there anything else other then 81/85's or the Blackouts is there any other Brands?

Any Help is great.
dragonfireguitars.com make actives based off EMGs. never tried them though, just thought i'd throw that out there since you asked if there was other brands.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the C-1 classic have a JB in the bridge? That would do metal just fine. The guys from Lamb of God and Arch Enemy both use them.
Last edited by frozen-dirt at Nov 17, 2008,
It does metal hell anything does metal on my 5150 I tryed out my old starter guitar an strat look a like I got for 100$ and it can do metal lol
its just not the sound Im looking for. and DragonfireGuitars Got to check that out, thanks for suggesting a different Brand.
Quote by frozen-dirt
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the C-1 classic have a JB in the bridge? That would do metal just fine. The guys from Lamb of God and Arch Enemy both use them.

nope.. mark (log) uses 59's i do believe.. least thats whats in his sig if i remember correctly.. and i read that he used to use invader/jazz combo
Ah ok, I didn't even see that you had that head haha. Well if you do want to go with actives, EMG 81's in the bridge sound great with the 5150.
yeah lamb of God uses 59s I do think...?
umm yeah that my head I'm in love with it lol want to get an EQ and a tube screamer for it though...

81 can you mix a bridge 81 and a neck black out?
also if its possible is there and great combos out there for a 5 switch...
you have to remember that to put active pups in, u need to get a whole lot more work done to ur guitar to get them in there... and the d activators are based around active pickup design, but with better dynamic range, and a less compressed fell than the actives.
my choice is the d activators.
Quote by symba05
Don't use nylon, it will get on fire.

Quote by symba05
If King Diamond's Thrash Britney Spears is NS black metal from Oslo.

Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX RAR
Samick Interceptor II with D Activators in both positions

AXL 70R
Peavey rage 15W

Zoom g1
yeah, im wondering the same thing. wat pups to put in mmy interceptor to make it sound legible... and i found a nice little video on youtube that made my mind for me....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo&feature=related

they sound badass!
Quote by symba05

Quote by symba05

Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX RAR

AXL 70R
Peavey rage 15W

Zoom g1
yeah... but sounds good never-the-less. and u have a 5150... a yamaha pacifica would sound good through a 5150.

hell, george bush playing a kazoo through his nose would sound good on a 5150...
Quote by symba05

Quote by symba05

Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX RAR

AXL 70R
Peavey rage 15W

Zoom g1
HAHAHAH yeah you might be right The bush thing is So LAWL haha

Does no one know anything about Bare knuckle pickups?

I really love there covers so...
I kind of lean to them but IDK how do they stack up.
Rockfield Fat Ass might suit you good, or maybe Rockfield Mafia's, Zoltan from 5FDP uses them.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Darkice
Those are what are in B.c. riches right... need to check them out.

Yea, nicer BC's have them in them, so do Michael Kelly Guitars. they have great clips on there site. They are very reasonably priced too.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Darkice
Yeah there Clips sound great and I love 5FDP though they have a huge rig which rapes mine.

there price is great though.

Rockfields are tight, not many people will have them. Also bill lawrence pickups are good too. Dimebag used them.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
You don't want insanely high output passives like Bare Knuckles into an amp like that. It'll just muddy up your bass. To get tighter bass with a high gain amp you actually want a low output pickup, like Duncan '59s or something.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
Quote by Darkice
Does no one know anything about Bare knuckle pickups?

I really love there covers so...
I kind of lean to them but IDK how do they stack up.

They're by far the best pickups I've tried, and I've been through a fair few.
The Nailbombs would be a great choice for you. They excel at all types of metal, and clean up remarkably well.

Quote by Insolent
You don't want insanely high output passives like Bare Knuckles into an amp like that. It'll just muddy up your bass. To get tighter bass with a high gain amp you actually want a low output pickup, like Duncan '59s or something.

You do realise that Bareknuckle have a pretty massive selection, including vintage PAFs and mid-gain pickups?
Even then, the thing that makes the contemporary BKPs so great is the way that they can retain the ridiculous clarity and tightness despite their output. Pickups like the Nailbomb and Painkiller are right in the same ballpark as the Seymour Duncan JB, output-wise, but absolutely slay it for tone.
Quote by Flying_V
yeah... but sounds good never-the-less. and u have a 5150... a yamaha pacifica would sound good through a 5150.

hell, george bush playing a kazoo through his nose would sound good on a 5150...

They aren't THAT good.
Given the frequency response characteristics that I've observed, I'd rather have the Painkillers for metal than the Nailbombs. To me the Nailbombs seem to have a little less low end punch, but a good bit more in the higher end of the midrange. The Painkillers seem more balanced and are a little more forgiving on the low end. Don't get me wrong, they'll both do metal better than most, just given the stated requirements, I'd opt for the Painkillers.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Darkice
how do you get them in the USA?

Head to the sevenstring.org forum, and get in touch with a guy that goes by the name of Zimbloth. He's a dealer in the US, and can score you some for a better price than you could get them direct from BKP. He's a good bloke, and I've heard nothing but good things about his service.

Quote by Kendall
To me the Nailbombs seem to have a little less low end punch, but a good bit more in the higher end of the midrange. The Painkillers seem more balanced and are a little more forgiving on the low end.

Are you sure you've got those the right way round? My Painkillers were all about the upper-midrange, and were insanely tight. The Nailbombs were far more organic and slightly looser in the low-end.
Quote by Nolly
Are you sure you've got those the right way round? My Painkillers were all about the upper-midrange, and were insanely tight. The Nailbombs were far more organic and slightly looser in the low-end.

As stated, those were my observations. The pickups were in similar guitars (Nailbombs in a Les Paul Classic, Painkillers in a Les Paul Studio), and were played dry through my Decatone. Also note that "forgiving" and "loose" are not synonymous. Personally, I liked the Nailbombs a good bit more and immediately purchased a set.

Your mileage may vary.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Flying_V
you have to remember that to put active pups in, u need to get a whole lot more work done to ur guitar to get them in there... and the d activators are based around active pickup design, but with better dynamic range, and a less compressed fell than the actives.
my choice is the d activators.

not with the duncan blackouts. no routing necessary. just gotta change the pots and make room for the battery if necessary
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups