I'm just curious because I have never owned one. I play punk rock music and I'm looking for a good amp under $600 at 100w and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
wtf do u need 100w for? R u gonna play major stadiums? If not, 50w tubes packs ALOT more power than youll EVER need.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
well, i'm gonna play small venues and i can't afford to get a tube cleaned every year or whatever.
You should have a PA for those.

I almost bought a 100W frontman earlier this year. Had my parents (cheers Dad!) not told me to wait and they'll pay some money toward it for my birthday, I would be hating myself.

The cleans are nice enough, but the distortion sucks major ass-**** and they don't take pedals very well. So really, it's pretty useless unless you never plan to use gain of any kind.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Walternativo
wtf do u need 100w for? R u gonna play major stadiums? If not, 50w tubes packs ALOT more power than youll EVER need.

For gods sake shut up with this whole "dont get a high wattage tube amp" business, we dont know what he wants it for, we dont know if hes going to be recording/gigging, and at the the end of the day hes not even going to get a 100w+ tube amp on his budget. Get off the bandwagon, ive got a 180w tube amp and I have yet to get bad tone out of it!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by alex0203
well, i'm gonna play small venues and i can't afford to get a tube cleaned every year or whatever.

You need to educate yourself before you go making crazy assumptions.

1 - Tubes don't need to be cleaned they need to be replaced.

2 - They don't need changing very often at all, once every few years depending on how much use they see and how heavy the use is.

3 - It really doesn't cost that much to replace them, it costs about $30 to replace the tubes in a 50w amp and you can easily do it yourself.

4 - 50w tube will do small venues without a PA without even breaking a sweat.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by mh400nt
For gods sake shut up with this whole "dont get a high wattage tube amp" business, we dont know what he wants it for, we dont know if hes going to be recording/gigging, and at the the end of the day hes not even going to get a 100w+ tube amp on his budget. Get off the bandwagon, ive got a 180w tube amp and I have yet to get bad tone out of it!

Quote by alex0203
Now we do.
Quote by mh400nt

Yeah, I eventually want to record a demo, but I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get a solid state, because like I said, I can't afford the maintenance of a tube. I plan on playing live this summer......just in case I change my mind, can someone EDUCATE me on tubes, there sound (compared to a solid state), and their maintenance. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I appreciate the help. I'm trying to spend my $ in the best way.

In case it helps: I play a Fender Fat Strat, I play punk rock, and I'm the only guitarist in my band along with my bassist and drummer.
Last edited by alex0203 at Nov 17, 2008,
I own a Fender Frontman 65R. It's a good amp for a beginner learning to play guitar in his bedroom, but if you ever want to start playing gigs you'd want to get something better. Belive me.
Quote by alex0203
can someone EDUCATE me on tubes, there sound (compared to a solid state), and their maintenance. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I appreciate the help. I'm trying to spend my $ in the best way.

In terms of sound the difference between tubes and SS is hard to define in words, or at least with any specificity anyhow. The maintenance is not hard or expensive like I said, the tubes need to be replaced every other year or so depending on how much use your amp sees, you just pull the old tubes out and plug the new ones in and they don't cost a lot at all; $30 for a set to go into a 50w amp.

For the tone you'll just have to experience it for yourself, once you've played through a decent tube amp I doubt you'll ever want to go back.

I suggest you try all the amps you can find that are in your price range, "punk" tone is achievable with just about any decent mid-gain tube amp.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
small wattage tubes are pretty freacking loud. plus tube amps sound alot better than SS! just shop around man, everyone to their own.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
umm matinence really aint much of an issue, i dont know whats wrong with the scene in America but i got a full tube 50w amp point to point wired from the 70's made here in New Zealand by a now defunct company for $300 (read $150 american dollars basicaly) have played upwareds of 20 gigs with it practicing full volume pretty much every week for 2 or so years and never replaced the tubes or ever had an issue and it sound so freakin sweet i donno maybe us of the tube persusasion are a tad elitist but once you get one you just cant go back, its like the difference between a real guitar sound and something coming out of stereo, i will not go back to SS unless someone can seriously show me it can sound as good and i just dont think they can, going to gigs where people are playing on them it just sounds like a tinny and fake sound with no immediacy i highly reccomend you dont buy this amp just hunt out an old goer like mine hook a couple of speakers up an shit on all SS amps you see.
Just a few points to keep in mind. In general the louder you play a tube amp the better it should sound and not all solid state amps sound good very loud however thats a general statement and there are exceptions.

If you want to buy a good solid state I'd suggested looking into something like a Roland JC120, if you can't afford a new one check out one used to get a better deal. That'll blow the doors off anything and is a great amp. Also comparing wattages in tube and solid state amps isn't really ideal as a 50 watt tube amp is much louder then a 50 watt solid state amp, as mentioned before in this post.

Also in terms of maintenance, its more expensive to fix a solid state amp then it is a tube amp. Tube amps are much more simple in construction. Personally I would look at getting a 2x12 50 watt tube combo if I were to record or play live. Again if you can't afford a new one go used as especially now great deals are to be had with the economy going tits up. I recently saw a Peavey 5150 on CL for $350 for the head because the guy needed to make rent.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
As a practice amp they arent that bad. A practice amp doesnt have to have the greatest tone or alot of features. They are supposed to be small and portable. But taking the same tone of a small cheap practice amp and making it 100 watts doesnt make it any good. If they would stick with making frontmans, MGs, spiders, ravens etc in 15-30 watts ok. But the companies see a way to make more money with little extra effort. So they make half stack frontman amps. All they have to do is make a bigger cabinet and add to the power section instant profit. And not everybody needs a tube amp. I rarely even turn mine on anymore Im getting rid of my 30 watt to get a smaller 5 watt.
Quote by mh400nt

They make 180 watt tube amps 0_o.. for what... Thats like... overkill...
Follow me on twitter and junk @GodDammitZack
You guys are really missing the point here.
A FENDER FRONTMAN IS A SOLID STATE AMP.
It's not a bad amp, it just sucks in comparison to a lot of other Fender amps.
Quote by Striped_Monkey5
They make 180 watt tube amps 0_o.. for what... Thats like... overkill...

It's not made to be cranked at all. The Diezel amps are all stupidly high wattage so they don't get any power-amp saturation at all. Power amp saturation leads to a much looser tone and also leads to some gain in your clean channel, neither of which are very desirable for modern metal so they keep the wattage super high so the power stage never saturates keeping the tone as tight as possible and the cleans as clean as possible.

But yes, if you DID crank the thing it would sound oddly like the flight deck of the Enola Gay on August 6th 1945.

Quote by Mecler
You guys are really missing the point here.
A FENDER FRONTMAN IS A SOLID STATE AMP.
It's not a bad amp, it just sucks in comparison to a lot of other Fender amps.

We're trying to convince him that a tube amp is a good idea. And the Frontman does suck; it's a terrible amp, even for it's price range and considering it's a practice amp.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Why is everyone so scared of tube amps? their probably more reliable due to the simple circuitry
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A