I am totally new to this. Any help would do. I play punk rock music and I own a Fender Fat Strat.
is your guitar a squire?
are you gigging?
what amp do you have at the moment?
how old are you?
are you in a band?
are you rich?
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by alex0203
I am totally new to this. Any help would do. I play punk rock music and I own a Fender Fat Strat.

How much money do you have?
How much space do you have?
How big is your car?

Those are the main questions that need answering when it comes down to combo vs half stack.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Do you have back problems?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
basically, tone wise, it means jack, if you near to be heard in a stadium and for some stupid reason your not mic'd then you need a stack.

unless you jsut wanna be cool of course, theres another reason to get one.
*Enter Sig Here*
Do I have back problems? LOL no, actually I don't. Okay here it is:
1. I have a Fender Fat Strat
2. I plan on gigging
3. I own a Fender Deluxe 900 Combo Amp
4. I'm 20, i'm in a band, no i'm not rich lol
5. I can't spend any more than $600 and I don't own a car yet
Then you want a combo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can get 3ft mini stacks for around 500 AUD which would probably be around 250 at guitar center. if you wanna spend all 600 you might be able to get something good but you would just be best with an awesome quality amp like VOX AD120VT
In your situation, the only reason to own a stack is if you plan to play unmiked and break as many noise records as possible. As I plan to do.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by random_B-RAD
You can get 3ft mini stacks for around 500 AUD which would probably be around 250 at guitar center. if you wanna spend all 600 you might be able to get something good but you would just be best with an awesome quality amp like VOX AD120VT

Quote by Hale_91
basically, tone wise, it means jack, if you near to be heard in a stadium and for some stupid reason your not mic'd then you need a stack.

unless you jsut wanna be cool of course, theres another reason to get one.

I'm 100% sure that's untrue.
stacks are alot of hassle, and if you're playing punk you're going to want to keep it as raw as possible. So I'd say get a combo because it makes things alot easier.

What kind of bands are you influenced by? we can name off amps if we know.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Horlicks

I'm 100% sure that's untrue.

cabs have there own tone yes, but if your gonna buy a 600$ combo, or stack

i doubt your going to get that difference.

ie. whats the diff between a MG combo and a MG stack?

nothing. chances are they both dont work.
*Enter Sig Here*
$600 for a gigging musician IMO isn't really enough to get a great combo. Well, I take that back, for punk, and blues you don't need a terribly complex amp. The extra gain stages in metal tube amps tend to bump the price up quite a ways.

You could probably nail a used Mesa Boogie F-50 combo for $600.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
buy a car

What kind of guitarist are you? Amp >>>>>>>>>>>> Car.
gets you to gigs
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by tigerking615
What kind of guitarist are you? Amp >>>>>>>>>>>> Car.

TS is 20 and no car...srsly.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
TS is 20 and no car...srsly.

at your

There is no real need for a half stack unless you think it looks cool... and there's nothing wrong with that... but in a practical sense, there is no need.

A 2x12 combo is going to sound almost as big as a 4x12 cab... but take into consideration that most combos are open-back while most cabs are closed back. An open back combo will fill the room a lot better while closed-back cabs tend to be more directional. If you are going to be mic'd then it doesn't really matter.

For $600 try and find a used combo... if you must buy new, check out the Peavey Classic 30. It is only a 1x12 combo but it will be plenty loud as most all tube amps are; you can mic it; and, if you really need a "bigger" sound you can always add an extention cab later on.
You can also buy 2x12 closed back cabinets! besides the obvious size/weight issues with a 4x12 the main difference is sound. A closed back (or vented) cabinet has a stiffer speaker response caused by the trapped sound in the back of the cabinet. This means tighter lowers and more low end projection and generally a little louder than an opened back counterpart. Open back speakers have a looser response as the rear soundradiation is free to leave the cabinet and also some travels around to the front (lower frequencies) and cancels out some of the front radiated sound.
So it's not just size and confort, it's what kind of sound are you after as well.
Moving on.....