some of the sound you're speaking of is synthesizers and not guitar at all, but The Edge (guitarist) has been known to employ several delay effects, among other things.
the effect most probably came from a stompbox like this..

and could you be clearer lon what part you mean? the start or from 1:48 onwards?

if you meant the second, then yeah it's delay
the edge abuses effects like delay and reverb.. quite alot.
and the hissing sound at the beginnig probably comes from the guitar, his effects and an ebow or something similar.
E bow, no synths at all. If u can't distinguish the sound from a feedback on a guitar from a synth then wtf lol. at 1:10 the ultra high pitched sound is a synth.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I mean the start without the distortion

By the way i want to get a pedal similar to that sound, can someone please recommend a pedal?
Quote by Loco23
I mean the start without the distortion

By the way i want to get a pedal similar to that sound, can someone please recommend a pedal?

He uses an Ebow to produce feedback, the echo/delay gives it it's depth.

Get an Ebow and a boss delay. Will work perfect. It will cost u like 300 buck though.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I know matt bellamy used to use synth pickups. Dunno if he still does.

Completely unrelated, but a cool bit of information, nonethless.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by demonofthenight
It's a synth. wow.

Sorry, but I find it hard to hide my contempt for u2. So overated.

Bless your soul. I cant stand bono or the edge that song vertigo made me turn off my radio everytime it came on which was 3-5 times per work day on the only station that I can get that plays anything similar to what I like. Its terrible a few good songs mixed ewith U2 and nickleback every ****ing other song.. ahhhhh
Seeing as T/S's questions been answered

I honestly dont like u2. I can't get into their riffs, their vocal melodies are obnoxious, I hate everything about bono (his voice, his image) and their progressions are boring. Seeing as I never listen to the radio though, I only hear them once or twice a year (still once or twice too much!).

Seeing as heaps of guys like them at my school, I've always wondered what I've missed. Maybe it's the lyrics? Well I've never understood liking a peice of music for something other than the music.
The power behind U2's songs lie in their subtleties. The basic, tight bass/drum combination, and Edge's beautiful minimalist guitar approach and simple chord progressions/melodies can really connect with nearly anybody. They're a subtle band, which you've clearly interpreted as boring.
Quote by demonofthenight

I honestly dont like u2. I can't get into their riffs, their vocal melodies are obnoxious, I hate everything about bono (his voice, his image) and their progressions are boring. Seeing as I never listen to the radio though, I only hear them once or twice a year (still once or twice too much!).

Seeing as heaps of guys like them at my school, I've always wondered what I've missed. Maybe it's the lyrics? Well I've never understood liking a peice of music for something other than the music.

You've summarized my distaste for U2 perfectly.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
How is that a synth? Neither pitch nor volume are constant.

The Edge is playing something, using the tremolo lightly. He might be playing harmonics only, or using a glass slide.

Could it be this, on the second guitar he shows?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/guitars/video/edge/2/

For the delay and reverb effects he uses, you could check this out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/guitars/

And if you don't like The Edge, you still could learn something out of the video's.
Don't know if they're gonna stay on long though.
^ No, it's not a slide or harmonics; it's an Ebow as has been stated REPEATEDLY throughout the thread.

U2's main contribution to rock music was progressively layering sounds to build a tonal harmony, so the changes between sections become more ambiguous and integrated.
Quote by demonofthenight

I agree. I liked "Sunday Bloody Sunday," so I bought War. It's the most boring album I own. In fact, I'm going to delete it from my computer right now.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
No, it's not a slide or harmonics; it's an Ebow as has been stated REPEATEDLY throughout the thread.
Cool it, Beerdude. No need to get all worked up about it.

The Edge is clearly not holding anything in his right hand other than the tremolo bar. Not in Loco23's original YouTube video, not in the first one I posted.

It may be similar technology, but it's not the EBow.

Evans talks about an infinite guitar, so I looked that up for you guys, and hey...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_guitar

So I guess we do get to learn something after all...
Quote by Withakay
How is that a synth? Neither pitch nor volume are constant.

And a synthesizer would be perfectly capable of having inconsistent value's for both.
Had to point that out
Quote by pandora_grunt
And a synthesizer would be perfectly capable of having inconsistent value's for both.
Had to point that out
I guess it could, but you need two controls (sliders/potentiometers/whatever) to make that happen. Why go through all the trouble?
He's using an e bow.

now that I've said that, I am going to express my hatred for U2.

Their music is honestly about as boring as me setting a weight down on a key for my synth. The Edges use of effects is not inventive, as he does the same thing for nearly every song. Not to mention Bono is the most obnoxious frontman ever. His voice is annoying, his image is annoying, and WHY THE HELL DOES HE LIE DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF A PERFORMANCE?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
He's using an e bow.
I don't think so.
now that I've said that, I am going to express my hatred for U2.
To prove you that this has been done, I'll quote you some ancient latin saying that's probably been translated from an even older greek saying: De gustibis et coloribus non disputandum.
Quote by Withakay
To prove you that this has been done, I'll quote you some ancient latin saying that's probably been translated from an even older greek saying: De gustibis et coloribus non disputandum.

You spelled "gustibus" wrong. Also, latin doesn't make U2 a good band.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
You spelled "gustibus" wrong.
So it seems. Thanks.
Also, latin doesn't make U2 a good band.
That wasn't the point, and you know that, right?
Quote by Withakay
I guess it could, but you need two controls (sliders/potentiometers/whatever) to make that happen. Why go through all the trouble?

All you need is two LFO's (which is standard on synths I believe)
Place effects on LFO 1 making it edit that based on the wave.
Make LFO 2 change LFO 1

Very inconsistent sound by just having to press the button when you've 'programmed" it. And then you have room for one more hand for even more live tossing about.

Note that I haven't listened to U2 vid, but I just wanted to point it out