I am totally new to buying gear and I would like some guidance lol so, I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to buy monitors, amps, and cabinets from a local pawn shop if you are on a budget.
If the amps and cabs are in good condition and you've tried them first, sure.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I buy most of my stuff used. If you look around on ebay-ish websites you can easily find gear in great condition that costs only a fraction of the shop price.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
When I buy gear or anything I wait till I can buy it new, because who knows how long that'll have to last you. Or if you'll be playing in front of a lot of people. You don't want something to break when you really need it.
Quote by Silas S Thompso
When I buy gear or anything I wait till I can buy it new, because who knows how long that'll have to last you. Or if you'll be playing in front of a lot of people. You don't want something to break when you really need it.

What does this have to do with buying used? Properly taken care of, used equipment will probably last longer than you'll ever need it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
What does this have to do with buying used? Properly taken care of, used equipment will probably last longer than you'll ever need it.

The properly taken care of part is usually the catch to buying used. Just because you take care of your stuff doesn't mean everyone does, who's to say how badly abused an item was before they sold it to you. I have never been a fan of buying used I would rather spend a little extra to get some sort of warranty.
def try it first.. my friend bought an old marshall from a pawn shop... the guy wouldnt let him turn it past 2.... we got home and the shit made noises at 3..
who's to say how badly abused an item was before they sold it to you.

I imagine you could tell quite easily...say, but inspecting the equipment. You know, the thing you should be doing regardless of whether your buying used or new.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.