I was looking at a strat style bridge the other day, and was thinking to myself - why do they not work as well as something like a floyd rose? The theory is sound I thought?

The vibrato bar is dipped, the springs extend, the bar is released, the springs pull the guitar back into place.

Now I understand that when doing this the strings can catch on things, hence the use of graphite nuts/ saddles, but why does this still not provide high tuning stability when bombing and so on?

I would have thought that the main differences between the two bridges was the locking aspect, but when wrapped around the tuning peg tightly, surely its pretty stable? And at the bridge end, the strings are pretty much locked in by pressure (which is released when you use the bar, but the springs pull it back into place)

Why is this? Or have fender style bridges just been under valued?
my squier strats bridge stayed in tune well when i regularly used it. it seemed like if i didnt use it for a while then it would suck for a bit, and if i used it for a while then stopped it would also still suck for a while. cant quite figure out y, but thats how it was
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
i was actually very impressed by my squiers bridge
everyone warned me it wouldnt stay tuned but even with my 5-6 hours of playing a day it stays tuned all day
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
i usually only use it if im playing some SRV but when i free style i just go crazy on the whammy bar
tip: with the squier trem system keep all three springs in even on the lightest gage strings because the stock springs arent the strongest out there
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
I think Strat bridges work fine. You have more options with the floyd rose though.
You just need good tuners with a strat.

My squier affinity stays in tune even when im torturing it. I wouldnt play a real fender
like i play on that thing..lol. With a B-52 At-100 and a marshall 1960 with a Jimi hendrix
experience pedal...It actually sounds pretty good.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett