Not really sure where this goes, so if it's ion the wrong place tell me and i'll delete it.

Well i want to learn how to setup guitars, and i pretty much know everything but the tension of the neck by adjusting the truss rod. so here is the question.

Say i change from 9's to 11's, the neck would pull and i would have to add tension, correct?

Thanks in advance guys.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

im almost positive a thread on this already exists
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
im almost positive a thread on this already exists
edit:sorry ug no spam intended my comps kinda screwey
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
yes the neck would experience more relief (bend more), so you should give it say, a quarter of a turn clockwise to tighten the neck to re-straighten a bit, until you experience buzzing below the 9th fret or so, then back it off a quarter turn. Do it and you'll see, just adjust in increments and if you're like me, possibly write down the steps you've taken in case you need to backtrack, as well as to get a good overall picture of how much total adjustment was involved, to help others in future or just to know yourself. If it turns out you need your nut cut deeper i'd take it to a pro. Perhaps change from 9's to 10's first, and if that's going fine, then go up to 11's. Increments, not drastic changes, and u should be right.
There is a proper way to check the neck relief. Go out and buy a feeler gauge. I got mine at an auto repair shop since they are used for spark plugs. Capo the first fret, hold down the bass E string on the 17th fret and use your feeler gauge to see how much space you have in between the 7th fret and the bass E string while it's being held down. I have mine set at .010 of an inch which is pretty standard for strats.
vince AC- how much do those run, i cant imagine them being over a couple bucks, but i'd like to know. And i can pick one up at like auto zone or pep boys?

Another question, Say i measure it, if its lower do i add tension, or loosen it??

Quote by gtr_101
Another question, Say i measure it, if its lower do i add tension, or loosen it??

If it's lower it means your neck is straighter than .010. Some people go as low as .002 which is almost a perfectly straight neck.

Basically, if the neck is too straight for you than you loosen the truss rod (counter clockwise). If the neck is not straight enough for you (say you measure .020 relief) then you tighten the truss rod (clockwise).

It's also important to make sure you are in tune every time you do this since the string tension plays an important role in neck relief.