So, next Monday, the school is organising a jam in the performance room for students. I signed up, but now I'm wondering how I'll survive. I've been playing electric guitar for almost 2 years now, and I play mostly blues and classic rock, so I can improvise, but how do you start an improv.? I have very bad riff amnesia, so all the crap I spend my time learning vanishes when I pick up a guitar in front of other people. Also, I'll be one of the youngest, so I won't be able to lead everyone into a 12 bar blues, especially as I don't know how decent the local musicians are - the big thing here is reggae and hardcore, so I'm not sure blues is a big thing

Anyway - any tips?
Just get yourself a 12 bar riff going, and hopefully they will join in. I used to jam with a few friends in the soundproofed room in the schools band room last year, and that's usually what we did. As far as improv goes, start on your root note and just fire it off, it's hard to describe how to improvise. Just feel it and play it.
Quote by playinbass1432
Just get yourself a 12 bar riff going, and hopefully they will join in. I used to jam with a few friends in the soundproofed room in the schools band room last year, and that's usually what we did. As far as improv goes, start on your root note and just fire it off, it's hard to describe how to improvise. Just feel it and play it.

Improvisation isn't the problem for me, I'm a better improvised lead player than any sort of rhythm. But I don't want this to become a sort of awkward waste of time
Don't feel weird trying to lead the room into a 12-bar. If it's not you, someone else will do it. Unless it's specifically advertised as a "jazz session" or something, most jam sessions use the 12-bar blues as a jumping off point for other stuff because everyone knows it and it helps get everyone comfortable with how they stack up to everyone else in the room.