Hi all,

I'm looking for a new amp. I've practiced and gigged with a spider3 (75watter) for the past year or so and although I'm more than happy with the modelling, I just wasn't a fan of the sound. I also want a more natural tone - one that I could manipulate with stomp boxes and so on - like maybe a clean and an od channel like on a Marshall, where I've had Boss OD stomp boxes act as a boost before the OD on the amp and it sounds sweet. I don't want any modelling or effects on the amp but I don't want to bother with tubes either.

I know this is a very awkward spec. I'm not a serious gigger and I don't want to have to lugg stuff around in a van. But I do want nice tone and good sound without moddeling or tubes. I'm not against any particular make but I don't want to go with Marshall just because I know no better.

The guitar going into it will be a PRS SE and a FSR Tele Deluxe 72 (w/ humbuckers). I've always used humbuckers by default and wouldn't want to change to single coil guitars until I know what I'm on about. My favorite sounds are from a strat and I like sounds from Biffy Clyro to Slipknot - in a vaugue sense.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
peavey valveking 112
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
erm, your screwed.

none spring to mind that fit into that criteria.

i guess you could have a look into what randall have to offer... i think they do some pretty good transistor amps... but i have never actually played one.
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
The only SS amps I would recommend are a Randall, or maybe a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 60.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
My Ampeg VH-140C can cover those sounds.

I have a "demo" of its ranges in gain on my profile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shadow__666
The only SS amps I would recommend are a Randall, or maybe a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 60.

I'm with this guy.

Tubes really aren't as much of a hassle as you think, because when you think about it, you can gig with a small 1 speaker combo, and they're tiny. And changing tubes is really not that big of a deal.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Thanks for all your replies

Price wise I'm not that bothered, maybe under £500 (~$800)

Reasons against tubes - purley a hassle thing. I wouldn't look after it either. Maybe if I get more serious one day.
Quote by madnessJack
Reasons against tubes - purley a hassle thing. I wouldn't look after it either. Maybe if I get more serious one day.

What's such a hassle about a tube amp? I don't know where people get these ideas...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Changing them, breaking them etc they sound shit if you leave em too long
Peavey Vypyr 75. I know a guy who gigs with his regularly with great results and lots of compliments on his tones. It's plenty loud and has all necessary effects built in. Give one a listen, they sell themselves really.
Quote by madnessJack
Changing them, breaking them etc they sound shit if you leave em too long

Changing tubes is easy, especially if you get something like a Peavey or Mesa where you just take the old ones out and put the new ones in. Power tubes last ~2 years, depending on how much you use it, preamps about twice as long.

For the most part, tube amps are built sturdier than solid state amps, not to mention if something goes wrong with it, it's MUCH easier to fix, if something dies on a solid state amp, you're pretty much screwed. If you're going to be throwing your amp around in ways that are going to break it, you don't deserve to have an amp.

No idea what you mean by "they sound shit if you leave em too long."
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Tube amps are not as delicate as you think they are. As was stated, tubes can last 2 years or more with regular playing, and they are very easy to change. And a well built one can take a beating like any other amp. My tube amp endured an F4 tornado in second story dorm room and still works like a dream to this day.

Anyway, the best amp I could think to suggest would be a Jazz Chorus for its fantastic cleans, but you won't have the overdrive you want. Unless, of course, you open up to tube amps. There are a lot of options there.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Alrite thanks guys. I was under the assumption that you had to change the tubes every couple of months - I was told the sound terrible if you leave them in for too long (dont change them regularly).

With your recommendations, I'll look into it - maybe get a valve amp after all. Thanks guys.