Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone. I recently took on the task of writing a 6-8 page paper on a specific problem in the guitar community, along with solutions to this problem. The trouble is, I really can't narrow down a certain problem (at least not one with sources). Speaking of which, this cannot be an obscure problem - I need to have a pretty decent amount of resources to cite (and citing a forum can't count, sorry). If anything immediately comes to mind, please submit it, I'm open to any and all suggestions that can be adequately researched through online articles.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Musical elitism. The fact that so many guitarists think they're better than others just "because i can play teh br00tal shredz at 11000 beats per minute" and those that can't suck.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The misconception that the faster you are, the better you are.

......Mindless "shreding"....

Edit: Beat me to it....tool
Fanboys.

People with crap gear, and because they don't have any money, and claim that anything better then they have is even more crap.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Metal and the following ignorance for other musical genres.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
The amount of fake, poor quality knock offs that have started to circulate? Could easily cite a few ebay pages. I'm fairly sure there would be some information about it on the major guitar manufacturers websites.
people who complain about shredding 'cause they can't
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i couldnt have said it any better than most of these people ^^^
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by Deether

Shredding isn't mindless if you know what you're doing. When you actually apply knowledge and theory, to come up with a colorful musical idea, it's a good thing. Listen to Eric Johnson, you'll see what I mean.
You could say that, with the release of guitar hero, too many people are buying based on name-brands than quality...
If i were you though, id extend it to the music community, and then really smash the record companies and how the artist gets a fraction of his work.
If its possible... really look into that. 6-8 pages EASY.
-D
This is a clever, witty signature. Rofl at my glory.
Shredding.

"If you cant shred- you suck"

Soloing

"if your songs dont have solo's - they suck"

Gear elitists

"OMG you have a line 6 Lololololooollol"

Gisbon guitars- Over priced, and over valued.
Where do I begin?

-The perception of playing music in terms of speed rather than musical qualities
-The lack of formal musical training
-The lack of acknowledgments about basic procedures in performance
-The unbalanced emphasis on guitar itself over the music as a whole
-The constant clashing of egos and attempting to make oneself feel better as a guitarist by putting other guitarists down

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
close mindedness about music.

"I listen to all kinds of Music" usually refers to 3 or more branches of Shred Metal and possibly 1 genre of punk. "all kinds of music" should break "rock" down into no more than 3 branches, and include jazz, or different classical periods, and even non-guitar centric music.
I really like the idea of technical skill over a firm theory base. Does anyone have articles to use as reference? I'm searching google and running into a bit of trouble.

Once again, thanks for the ideas.
Quote by Greenfinger182
I really like the idea of technical skill over a firm theory base. Does anyone have articles to use as reference? I'm searching google and running into a bit of trouble.

Once again, thanks for the ideas.

It's not even an emphasis on technical skill that's the problem. The problem is that a lot of guitarists think speed is all that makes up technical skill.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not even an emphasis on technical skill that's the problem. The problem is that a lot of guitarists think speed is all that makes up technical skill.

That was something I figured I would imply.

Looks like it may be a lost cause, though. Any searches appear to yield sites for learning guitar rather than articles pertaining to the problems the community faces.
Quote by RG PROG
Shredding isn't mindless if you know what you're doing. When you actually apply knowledge and theory, to come up with a colorful musical idea, it's a good thing. Listen to Eric Johnson, you'll see what I mean.

I'm well aware of that. That's what I'm talking about. I can appreciate TRUE shreds and talent.

I'm talking about guitarists that just tremolo pick and random higher frets as fast as they can...not applying any theory at all.....just random playing and try to pass it off as a solo.

THATS what I'm talking about.
Quote by Deether

Conversely, the misconception that shred has no emotion.

People who think that need to be put down because it just isn't true.
The persistent belief that guitar playing should be an olympic sport.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

This.

Also, the legion of people around me that obsessively play Pinch Harmonics or just use their Vibrato Arm because they can't finish on a good target note.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

The hell? Maybe it should be saved for the winter olympics as opposed to Summer.

Luge guitar. That has possibilities.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by RG PROG

I think the whole concept of "shred" is terrible. It's labeling music from the perspective of speed, which leads to excess. Almost all other musical and instrumental cultures do not bear this way of thinking about music. In a fast passage of music in a classical work or a speedy lick in a jazz solo, no one is judging the music by how fast it's played. The listeners may be impressed with the speed, sure, but it's not the fact that the whole thing is based around speed, it's that the artist used a certain amount of speed to create a musical effect. Whereas in "shred", the music is based around the expectation that the player has to play fast with novelty tricks, who is then "honored" with the title of being a shredder. It's stupid.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Dime's solos are a perfect example
Quote by Jackal58
Luge guitar. That has possibilities.

Screw that. Guitar Curling. Instead of brooms to melt the ice in front of the stone, one uses FACE MELTING SOLOS!

At least then men can play, cos, like, brooms are difficult.

EDIT:

Quote by Deether
Dime's solos are a perfect example

Yes and no, for the reason- all music comes from emotion.
Metalheads.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Xiaoxi
I think the whole concept of "shred" is terrible. It's labeling music from the perspective of speed, which leads to excess. Almost all other musical and instrumental cultures do not bear this way of thinking about music. In a fast passage of music in a classical work or a speedy lick in a jazz solo, no one is judging the music by how fast it's played. The listeners may be impressed with the speed, sure, but it's not the fact that the whole thing is based around speed, it's that the artist used a certain amount of speed to create a musical effect. Whereas in "shred", the music is based around the expectation that the player has to play fast with novelty tricks, who is then "honored" with the title of being a shredder. It's stupid.

I respect all musical styles and hope to explore them all.

Taken from the "About Me" section of your profile.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
Taken from the "About Me" section of your profile.

Shred is a style of playing guitar.

A musical style would be bossa nova, or drum and bass, or Romantic, or bebop.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Ram_overdrive
guitar becoming more abt extravagance and shreds and not abt music!

Becoming? I completely missed the 70's and 80's and still know extravagance existed more then than it does now. I think the main problem here is the inability to use vowels.
Solos are what make up a song...a big F to all those ppl...

And those who said shreding sucks and has no emotion, sit down and learn from John Petrucci you numbskulls...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by kennethdave
Solos are what make up a song...a big F to all those ppl...

And those who said shreding sucks and has no emotion, sit down and learn from John Petrucci you numbskulls...

I've sat down and learned from John Petrucci long enough to write my wall of text.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
People who bitch about shredding and think pentatonic scale + epic bends + playing slow + hilarious faces = emotion.
like everyone has said, hate for other's music and the misconception that "The faster, the better"
Quote by Deliriumbassist

The hell? Maybe it should be saved for the winter olympics as opposed to Summer.

*Queue scandinavian metal bands*
hue
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Becoming? I completely missed the 70's and 80's and still know extravagance existed more then than it does now. I think the main problem here is the inability to use vowels.

That wasn't extravagance. That was spandex.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 2