Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

I started learning only at the age of 20 even though I wanted to start much earlier. Now at 22, I regret not starting earlier especially when I hear/read that my heroes had started learning at a very young age. Reminds me of the amount of time I've missed.

Anyone else who feels bad about starting late ? How do you cope with it ?
Thanks
I started around my 17th Birthday. I felt like I was getting a late start, but I was glad I started playing at all. It just means you might have to put in a little more practice time to get to where you want to be sooner. I wouldn't say that I "cope" with it. I am happy each opportunity I get to play and learn, and better myself.
its never too late to pick up an instrument.

sure, you may never make a living out of it, but you get an amazing hobby out of it that you can continue to pursue until the day you die.
i think it would bne better if i started earlier... and i started when i was 15! any way, i am 19 now, but what i truly regret is that is has benn only 3 months that i play everyday, so i am still a common guitar player.... actaully bad or not ready to start a band...

so don't feel bad cause you started at 20, cause what relly matters is if you play a lot or not, and if you really enjot it. if you do, then it doesn't matter when did you start, you'll be a decent guitar player, and mostly important, you'll be happy when you play .

actually, that is more important than if you can play like Yngwie or not...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Started when i hit the grand old age of 18. (earlier this year) I felt like a late starter with it too...but my teacher says they have only seen a few people make as much progress as me in this small amount of time.

Basically, just don't worry about it. I guess we all wish we could of started earlier...but we can't change that. Instead of thinking about missed time, think more about the future time you will have with it! I reckon i still have a good 60+ years to enjoy playing and so do you!
Yea, I'm 18 and i just started a couple months ago, I wish I had started earlier too.
I started when I was 16. Im only 17 now, but whatever. I play guitar purely for my own enjoyment. I don't really practice at all, but I'm fine with that. I'll get better with more experience.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I started a few months ago and I'm 20 as well. I do wish I'd of started earlier but I am glad I started in the first place. Better late than never, right?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
i regret quitting guitar for about 5 years....
i am 19 years old now almost 20 and i started again 3 months ago.
im always thinking, what if i just didnt stop playing back than, than i should have been pretty good by now, because than i would have had 8 years of guitar experience..
but im not standing still to worry or feel sorry, i just take my guitar and practice as much as i can.
Quote by Axe Murderer
I started a year ago and Im 35.

Feel better now?

Me too. For the younger crowd, just think how awesome you'll be at our age.
I'm 33 - started playing last year again after a 10 yr break...

I dont really care about the things I have forgotten or time I have missed improving my technique. One thing I will say though, is that my focus has changed considerably.

For years I learned as much Hendrix and other peoples stuff as I could - now i only play my own stuff + compose and improvise.

The other thing is, that as old gits do have a more fully formed opinion of what music we like

I'm just glad to have it back in my life
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Started at 28, lol. I don't think it matters how old you are...but how much focus you have. I know if I started at 18, I woulda had a million other things on my mind, so I would'nt have got far. Now that i'm married, and settled in, I can focus alot more on the hobby.

Worked for me.
I started on my 24th birthday because I got a Squier kit for my birthday that year.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Quote by Axe Murderer

Feel better now?

Started this year and I'm 34. Right with you Murderer.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Started at 51 and 53 now. Love it! I can remember the day I bought my guitar and knowing nothing about how to play. If I compare my progress against that I feel good and optimistic about getting better and improving if I put in the effort.
Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Ibanez RG5ERX1
Fender MIM Telecaster
Fender Acoustic
Fender Supersonic Combo
Boss TU-2 / CS-3 / DD-20 / Vox Satchurator / Hardwire CR-7 / Vox Big Bad Wah / ISP Decimator G-String
Quote by Rio38
Started this year and I'm 34. Right with you Murderer.

Wee me too - well only about 2 months ago actually lol.
There's no point comparing your skill level with other people of the same age, or at all. I could be heartbroken that I won't be as good as Vai/Bettencourt/Rhodes at their age, but really, they were guitar freaks, there's no way I would put that much time into guitar regardless of age - I have a life elsewhere.

If it makes you feel better, Mark Knopler was 29 when Dire Straits released their debut album.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Im 44 years old, and Im just now starting to learn. This is somthing I have allways wanted to learn and I finally decided to start.
I'm right there with you. I started at 42 and I am about to turn 44. It's hard, but the rewards are worth the wait no matter what age you are.

Chris
theres this one famous musician who started at age 18 and got on stage and join a big band at around 21 i foget his name but even though you start late you can stilll make it
The guy who formed Boston who plays like keyboard and guitar and composed all of their music started playing guitar at the age of 22 or something like that. He composed Foreplay/Long Time like a year later. I believe his name is Tom Scholtz.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Tom is an interesting character. I wish that we all could enjoy the music that is still in him. His beliefs about the corporate world, and the music industry in particular, has left most of us wanting. I respect him for what he believes but it is kinda sad that we all have to suffer by them. Again, nothing but respect for him, especially being able to stand by what he believes under immense pressure to do otherwise.

Chris
Quote by Axe Murderer
Feel better now?

Quote by zhilla
Wee me too - well only about 2 months ago actually lol.

Quote by Scott_K
Me too. For the younger crowd, just think how awesome you'll be at our age.

Weird, I started this year and I'm 34 as well, wonder what it is about 34 that makes you wanna pick up the guitar =)
Quote by Jaksar
Weird, I started this year and I'm 34 as well, wonder what it is about 34 that makes you wanna pick up the guitar =)

Just to add to the wierdness, I also started at 34.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Pre mid-life crisis?

Some people need a sports car, we need guitars. Could be worse.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
It's never to late to start. Didn't the guitarist to 'Threat Signal' start when he was about 20 years old? It just goes to show that theres no age to late to start, even if you wanted to make a carreer out of it.

EDIT-

Btw, I think the guitarist to 'Threat Signal' is now about 25 years old or something. I remember seeing youtube video's of them before they started getting big when he was like 22 or 23. With practice, you can probably do just about anything.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Nov 18, 2008,
Quote by Axe Murderer
Pre mid-life crisis?

Yea, the real mid-life crisis is gonna be sooo cool if this is just a practice
Dude you'd be really surprised by the most likely inaccuracy of the times they tell you. Like I picked it up at the age of 12 man but come on I was 12 and trust me I wasn't one of those 12 year old prodigies, I was a ****ing moron, lmao. I ****ed aroun with it though, and picked up the chords, a few riffs, an wha not. Eventually after a long stint of being 'the man' in high school (i.e. having all the herbski to sell, the money to entertain, the place to party) I became bored with it all and sought a more solitary activity to pass some hours when not doing drugs, well I ended up pickng up the guitar again, learned a few scales, started practicing more chords, learned how great it is to mix pot and guitar, got into trying to make ****ty home recordings (which really makes it awesome) and now I'm half decent, but still nothing special, just kind of practicing for that day when I decide to finally fork up a few hundred and lay down sum tunes at a real studio.

I mostly play reggae, punk, sum classic rock, attempts at a lot of Hendrix (can do little wing halfway thru never bothered to learn the rest, but I mostly focus on theory and figuring things out like scales and new chords etc where to move new chords and things like that. We've got a lot of time here on this earth,and the guitar wasn't meant to be mastered in one day. If yr beating yrself up over this, just play the guitar ALOT. but remember to Take yr time. Playing guitar is like growing yr hair, you don't really notice it day to day or even week to week but you look at a picture months later and just go oh ****. Most of the greats (hendrix, lennon, mccartney, yadayayadaya), they were all like 24-25 sum even older when they laid down their best ****. Don't worry man. Just stay inspired, yeah. Good luck to ya.
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by Robvv
i regret quitting guitar for about 5 years....
i am 19 years old now almost 20 and i started again 3 months ago.
im always thinking, what if i just didnt stop playing back than, than i should have been pretty good by now, because than i would have had 8 years of guitar experience..
but im not standing still to worry or feel sorry, i just take my guitar and practice as much as i can.

dont feel bad about quiting or regret it...Tom Morrello quit for quite a few years when he was younger too...and look where he is.
Quote by caraluzzo
It's never to late to start. Didn't the guitarist to 'Threat Signal' start when he was about 20 years old? It just goes to show that theres no age to late to start, even if you wanted to make a carreer out of it.

EDIT-

Btw, I think the guitarist to 'Threat Signal' is now about 25 years old or something. I remember seeing youtube video's of them before they started getting big when he was like 22 or 23. With practice, you can probably do just about anything.

and yeah its all in your determination..i started less than a month ago..i got a guitar for my 20th birthday.. my dad tried to teach me when i was 8 but i just wasnt interested. it took me 12 odd years to finally realize that i really do want to play music again so i took the steps to play music again. my friends who have been playin guitar since they were 14 or so all say that i am already on the track to being good (even tho i dont really care if i get good). I dont know if i will ever make money off of music but it sure would be nice..if YOU really want something who is gonna tell you that you cant? Sh*t you could be like AC/DC or the Stones and be F***in 60 yrs old and still playing shows.....its all your will and what you really wanna do. it doesnt matter if you started at 5 or 50...its all about the music
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Nov 18, 2008,
I regret not starting earlier. I started around 19. I'm 24 now. I can remember spending countless hours playing sports, video games, and partying when I was younger. If I had focused some of that attention to guitar playing I'd be on stage with Eric Johnson right now.

On the flip side, I've probably been more devoted to it since I started later. I'm somewhat diverse. I know some theory. My little bro messes around on the guitar. He's got some focus but nowhere near the level I had when I started.
Quote by Rio38
Some people need a sports car, we need guitars. Could be worse.

Exactly, and when you make a horrendous mistake with a guitar, you don't have the embarrassment of having to get it removed from a ditch in the middle of nowhere. Well, I say that. I'm sure someone's managed it...
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
I started playing guitar as well when I was 20 or something and yes I feel bad wasting all those years.
most 6-10 year old guitarist players were forced to play a instrument so starting by your own will is all that matters in my books
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by CarpUK
Exactly, and when you make a horrendous mistake with a guitar, you don't have the embarrassment of having to get it removed from a ditch in the middle of nowhere. Well, I say that. I'm sure someone's managed it...

LOL! Reminds me of when Kelsey Grammer deposited is Viper just that way in his 40's. But I think it was a tree (?)...

Chris
Well it's never too late dude.
It's good that you even started some just regret all their lives for not having been able to learn a musical instrument.
Page 1 of 2