Page 1 of 2
Every time I see my uncle he tries to teach me guitar, pretending to be better than me. Of course I'm not a great/technical guitarist, but he really, really sucks. He has played for 20 or 30 years and he recorded an album with a band a long time ago, so he SHOULD be a good guitarist, but...

- He doesn't know what power chords are: he always plays open or barre chords even with high gain.
- He doesn't mute the strings that don't play.
- He doesn't know ANY scale, not even the minor pentatonic.
- He doesn't know what palm muting is.
- He didn't know how to play an open G chord. I taught him, otherwise he always played the barred one.

In a few words he can play only basic chords and a few slow solos without any technique except for bending.

Don't you think that he is the worst teacher ever?
Last edited by Poglia at Nov 17, 2008,
Not really. He doesn't really need power chords and such if he's used to playing the grandpa's guitårs.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Minkaro
Schizophrenia rap?

*beatboxes*

I have schizophrenia, I talk to myself,
People startin' to doubt my mental health,
Maybe someday I'll get the help I need,
But till then don't be blamin' mah weed.

*scratches*
I had a school teacher who couldn't control the class at all, gave out 30 detentions a lesson and didn't realise when someone threw a bit of ham at her face (the ham slid down her face slowly. It was most humorous.)
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by Sixp0under
Hes willing to take time to teach you mean, you should be thankful.
I was when I started to play, but now that I'm better than him I realized that he is not that great
Perhaps he's working up to harder things.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I had a teacher who gave me a tab to play, sat there and ate a sandwich and didn't say anything
wow dude your so stupid that guy was my guitar teacher and now im better then buckethead, maybe he didn't like you so he pretended to be stupid.
Quote by SillyRabbit
wow dude your so stupid that guy was my guitar teacher and now im better then buckethead, maybe he didn't like you so he pretended to be stupid.
I didn't say that I'm the best and he is the worst... I clearly said that I'm not a great guitarist.
Quote by el-ECTRO
I had a school teacher who couldn't control the class at all, gave out 30 detentions a lesson and didn't realise when someone threw a bit of ham at her face (the ham slid down her face slowly. It was most humorous.)

That reminds me of our old music teacher at school, we put ketchup on her chair and she ran out crying.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Still worth learning off him, he may have techniques that make things easier for you or you may learn a new way to play.
Maybe, rather than "learning" guitar with your uncle, you should learn how to spell and use proper grammar.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
He fails are guitar, you fail at english. I guess you guys are about even.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by ross1234
That reminds me of our old music teacher at school, we put ketchup on her chair and she ran out crying.

Why would you do that? Dick
Quote by VanCamp
Maybe, rather than "learning" guitar with your uncle, you should learn how to spell and use proper grammar.

icwhutudidthar
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by Putrefaction
Why would you do that? Dick

because she made the whole class cry because she said something about people with cancer.

I know it, but English is not my primary language.
Quote by nebiru

You and TS have a lot in common then.
My last guitar teacher had a finger missing on his fretting hand, nuff said?
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by ross1234
because she made the whole class cry because she said something about people with cancer.

Lol wut. The whole class? Over cancer?
Fixed.

Quote by Poglia
Every time I see my uncle he tries to teach me guitar, pretending to be better than me. Of course I'm not a great/technical guitarist, but he really, really sucks. He has played for 20 or 30 years and he recorded an album with a band a long time ago, so he SHOULD be a good guitarist, but...

- He doesn't know what power chords are: he always plays open or barre chords even with high gain.
- He doesn't mute the strings that don't play.
- He doesn't know ANY scale, not even the minor pentatonic.
- He doesn't know what palm muting is.
- He didn't know how to play an open G chord. I taught him, otherwise he always played the barred one.

In a few words he can play only basic chords and a few slow solos without any technique except for bending.

And no.
Quote by Putrefaction
Lol wut. The whole class. Over cancer?

I can't rermember what she said, but it upset a lot of people particually my friend who had just lost her grandad to cancer.
Also, my first day at that school she gave me a detention for not doing homework
My old guitar teacher was great. Gave me a jumpstart .
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Poglia
Pwned.

I just realized who it was though. Nebiru...
I feel bad now.
Quote by ross1234
I can't rermember what she said, but it upset a lot of people particually my friend who had just lost her grandad to cancer.
Also, my first day at that school she gave me a detention for not doing homework

Oh, I kind of assume that it's the kind of hot unexperienced new teacher that everyone knows they can take advantage of when I don't know anything about the situtation
He didn't know how to play an open G chord. I teached him

seriously?

My fifth grade teacher literally had mental problems.
I didn't learn anything that year because she said a lot of things that sounded like total nonsense. The school didn't get rid of her like they should have, and they managed to make it worse by letting her sister (satan's wife) be a teacher's aid.

that was one freakish year....
Quote by ross1234

What a sick sexist prank.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Putrefaction
Oh, I kind of assume that it's the kind of hot unexperienced new teacher that everyone knows they can take advantage of when I don't know anything about the situtation

Nah dude, she was butt ugly.
Quote by Green_Jelly
What a sick sexist prank.

Are you suggesting period japery?
Quote by Poglia
Every time I see my uncle he tries to teach me guitar, pretending to be better than me. Of course I'm not a great/technical guitarist, but he really, really sucks. He play since 20 or 30 years and he recorded an album with a band long time ago, so it SHOULD be a good guitarist, but...

- He doesn't know what power chords are: he always play open or bar chords even with high gain. - he probably does, but by another name- He doesn't mute the string that don't play.
- He doesn't know ANY scale, not even the minor pentatonic. I bet he could sit and work aout the major scale by ear in a few seconds- He doesn't know what palm muting is. - he may not know the name, but he's been doing it - He didn't know how to play an open G chord. I teached him, otherwise he always played the barred one. I bet he's used open G a million times, but just forgotten it.
In a few words he can play only basic chords and a few slow solos without any technique except for bending. - Yeah, but I bet he plays them really well

Not at all. I bet he's REALLY good at improvising and if not that, I bet his timing and rhythm are spot on and way better than yours. - just jam with him.

As an older player I can confirm that if you don't use it you lose it. I stopped playing everyday for about ten years. I have been playing more and more over the last year but I am nowhere near as good as I was 15 years ago, and to be honest I don't really give a toss, because there are other aspects to my playing which are much better after 15 more years of life experience.

It's all different these days - you guys can just gon on the net and find out pretty much anything you want about the guitar. In the old days, the only way to find out new chords/techniques etc was to talk to other players.

The other thing to remember is that 90% of the music out there is "only basic chords and a few slow solos without any technique except for bending"

Don't be so down on the guy - I bet he's really chuffed you have started playing and can share this voyage of discovery with you.

My Dad showed me my first few chords and within a few months I was technically more advanced than he was. However, he still shows me at least one thing each time we jam.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by nebiru

lmao
I've had a thing about having good english teachers ever since ninth grade. My ninth grade english teacher was the first teacher who showed me that a teacher can be tough And fair, AND care about students. My tenth grade teacher spoiled me. Absolute best teacher ever.

My eleventh grade english teacher was god awful. She #1 didn't care and she let us know it. She treated a high school lit class like a 300 level college lit class. She had tenor and let us know it, and let us know that there was nothing we could do. She picked horrible books and poems for us to discuss and analyze.

I even asked her why we had to read this one poem (Thanatopsis) and her answer was her shouting at me almost as though I completely forsook the lord "BECAUSE IT"S IMPORTANT". And then I did blaspheme with "God damn lady, it was just a question." She was more upset about my use of "god" than "damn".
Never had I had a teacher in high school who cared less about the material we were assigned to read, and if she didn't care about it, it made it hard for us to care about it. The highest grade received in that class was a 'B' and that was from a straight A student.
I had a talk with her about her poor teaching and she told me "Its not my job to make you care"
#1 Yes it is.
#2 At that point there was nothing I could do.
Quote by Oli_88
You and TS have a lot in common then.

This is why I love the pit.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
Reminds me of my guitar teacher. I feel your pain. He's another on of those "I'm the best" type bullshit players yet is actually quite mediocre. Not that I'm great but I'm still a begginer, this guy supposably played for "40 years" But he is the only guy in town so I'm kinda stuck with him untill i find a new teacher.

Heres a list of things he does.

Doesn't play with a pick AT ALL. And no, I don't mean finger picking, god no, I mean he actually uses his pointer finger as a guitar pick, and it sounds ****ing horrible.

Can't do anything past 1970. I think music past that point got to hard for him and he just stuck to playing what he was good at. Therefore he thinks music produced after 1970 "sucks" or "plays wrong chords" or "can't write songs".

Refuses to do anything outside of I IV V and 4/4, because its techinaclly impossible for him, and he thinks "thats all you need to know on gueetar" and anything outside of I VI V "sucks".

Plays his strat with ALL of his knobs on 10, ALL the time.

Thinks AC/DC can't get people to go to their concerts anymore and that they are 'washouts'. We had a big argument over this.

He thinks time changes are evil.

Thinks Fender made the best amps of all time. Infact he thinks his 65 reverb combo amp outpreforms every other amp ever made, or every amp that will ever be made. Yes even top of the line rigs and stacks.

Makes massive, clishe generalizations, i. e. thinks all young players just play "speed guitar and tricks". Thinks all i want to do is play "fast" complelety not realizing my favorite guitarist is David Gilmore.

Yeah he really pisses me off sometimes.
Page 1 of 2