Poll Options
View poll results: What cost you more
Main Bass
47 48%
Main Amp
50 52%
Voters: 97.
Page 1 of 2
Something that ive wondered about the bass forum, what cost you guys more, your main bass or your main amp (taking into account the cost of your head and your cabs if you use H+C)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Unless your playing a $3000 bass. The main amp (if we are talking large scale large budget.)

I, personally, have a bass that costs more than my amp because I do not play gigs at all. If I were to get a gigging setup it would cost more than my bass for sure.
my main bass is a bastard fender with a japanese '62 reissue body, a mexican neck, and a squire neckplate. it cost me around 320. my main amp is a trace elliot ah500-7, cost me about 1200. so yah, main amp.
actually, thats my only amp
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The main amp i'm hoping to end up with will be around £600-700 and my main bass around £200-300 so i'm gonna go with amp.
It should be the amp, but my bass is worth about 3 times as much as my amp. I just don't need a bigger amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My bass that gets the most playing time is my Ibanez AGB140 which was pretty cheap as far as I remember. I think my Ashdown (which I bought used) was more expensive.
defintely main amp
most of my friends bought an expensive amp too..
i think that in order to get a good tone with limited budget
you'd better save your penny for a good amp rather than a bass
My Mesa/Boogie rig is worth quite a bit, but I still think my Thumb bass is a bit more valuable.... as far as "main bass", I can't really say which one I use the most.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
My head and bass are about the same price if you were to buy them new, with the head slightly being more expensive. Paid about $1000 less for it.

However, I don't subscribe to the whole "get a great amp and crappy bass" thing and never will. Amps are modular (typically) and you can add to it. Basses aren't quite as modular. Replacement isn't modularity.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
My main bass cost me $180. My main amp cost about $250.
I have such shitty gear...
My amp is about half the price of my bass (bit less even)

But it's an incredibly well sounding amp and loud enough to play with my band, so I have no realy urge to upgrade it.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
While my fretless cost more than my Ampeg, my main bass is my Ibanez, which cost me less than the Ampeg.
My amp cost more than all three of my basses and my guitar combined. I'm probably the only one here that's ended up with four starter instruments.
Nope, no sig here.
my amp and bass where around the same price... 600ish... each... ish...
Quote by ironman1478
im romanian and am offended. most of the people in romania make americans look like autistic kids on ritalin
Quote by ProfessorJim
I'm autistic and on ritalin and am offended. Most autistic kids on ritalin make americans look like romanians.
Quote by thefitz
My head and bass are about the same price if you were to buy them new, with the head slightly being more expensive. Paid about $1000 less for it.

However, I don't subscribe to the whole "get a great amp and crappy bass" thing and never will. Amps are modular (typically) and you can add to it. Basses aren't quite as modular. Replacement isn't modularity.

Thank you!
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by thefitz

Agreed. With what I've experienced, I can plug any of my Warwicks into anything from a Crate BX15 to a custom Aguilar rack, and have a tone I wouldn't be at all ashamed to use. There's the obvious issues of volume and flexibility, but for tone in general, a high-quality bass will sound good through just about anything.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
My ATK bass-500$
My crate bt 25-120$
However this is not my "main amp" because I dont gig much; however, I plan on getting an ashdown amp for about 600$.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
amp>bass for me at the mo.
to me if the bass plays good, and has alrite tone its good, with careful EQing on a good amp u can get amazing tones out of an average bass.
planning on spending more on the bass, just because i won't need (or want) a very big amp
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Well at the moment my bass's cost more than my amp bass 750 and amp 450( i got ripped off there and bought new). But i am a gigging bassiest and have to borrow amps here and ther. So for me im really intending to spend more on an amp than on bass. For me i get my tone from my amp more then my bass. Yet saying that i set evreything on my runble at neutral and boost the treble a bit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
bass. I would love to be playing through this though-amp
and that would shift it off a bit.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Wait, you want a $1000 MarkBass acoustic bass combo? All 250W of it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
my bass cost $2800 and my amp was $2000 so my bass cost more
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Bass NZ$1700 amp NZ$700.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
what cost more... or what should cost more? Cuase I spent $120 on my Kustom III head and $200 on my 115 cab... my P-bass cost 200, then new pickups, new string retainer, new pickgaurd, new knobs.... I guess they come out pretty close to even.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
In my current setup, my amp cost $350, and my basses cost me $150 and $550 dollars (MIM Fender P-Bass and Schecter Stiletto Custom 5, respectively). I give them each about equal playtime. However, I put down amp on the poll because once I get my xmas money, I'll be buying myself a $700 Acoustic rig. Yay, penis compensation!
Quote by thefitz
Wait, you want a $1000 MarkBass acoustic bass combo? All 250W of it?

now I do. I could get most of the tones I really liked out of my AB50 on it perfectly. but it is sooo expensive. and so low in wattage for the price.

if I had enough money, that would be my next amp. but I don't so I'll probably just go with Plan B, the B200. not a bad amp by any means. just not as good.

do you have any tainted wisdom to bestow on me about the stupidity of my GAS, fitzy?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well, Acoustic is simply a brand name. It's misleading, but that's all it is. What you have there is an amplifier meant for acoustic bass guitars or upright basses. I'm sure you'd be able to cop the sounds off of similar MarkBass stuff - it's the feedback cancellers and the reverbs and chorus that make the amp that pricey.

EDIT: It's a $1000 acoustic instrument 150W amplifier with a 6" speaker...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 18, 2008,
I bought all my basses for around $550, my amp was $1,500 so it wins.
Quote by thefitz
Well, Acoustic is simply a brand name. It's misleading, but that's all it is. What you have there is an amplifier meant for acoustic bass guitars or upright basses. I'm sure you'd be able to cop the sounds off of similar MarkBass stuff - it's the feedback cancellers and the reverbs and chorus that make the amp that pricey.

hmmm. similar? so, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbass-Minimark-150-250W-2x6-Bass-Combo-Amp-104394135-i1395932.gc

by the way, the AB50 is actually for acoustic electrics- A(coustic) B(ass) 50 (watts).
I just like the B200 on account of price and solid versatility, it can get most tones pretty well. with a flat EQ it sounds nice, but not half as eyepopping. err... earpopping.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by thefitz

Just my opinion, but I think a good amp can make a bad bass sound good, but a bad amp can make a good bass sound crap.

I remember playing my first ever bass (Peavey Precision copy) through my little 15w amp at home and thinking it sounded OK. I went for bass lessons and my teacher had an SWR combo which was the dog's danglies. I then realised the importance an amp has on the sound of your bass.

Oh yeah, my head+cab setup cost me more than my bass.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Last edited by Stan_da_man at Nov 18, 2008,
The bad bass - good amp argument only works after a certain point I think. If you have a $50 bass, no amp in the world will save you, but if you have a solid mid-level bass then a good amp is all you need. Higher level basses add certain feel and certainly give "bragging rights" so to speak, but after mid level bass, the amp becomes the golden importance.
Fender Standard Jazz Bass - £360 new
Ashdown Mag combo - £180 used

So bass... Although around the same if the amp was new.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The amp/rig/whatever should always cost more the the instrument does, if it doesn't then something is wrong.

I got lucky though. My rig cost me almost next to nothing, and it's probably equal to the vaule of my bass (used MIJ p bass). And you guessed it, my rig is pretty ****ty as a matter of fact. I bought a used Fender Showman Head w/o tubes (bought new tubes) thats been through a literal ****storm in the wear and tear department for $150 from a freind, built a small cab out of particleboard and dicarded scaps of lumber, and slaped a used 15 inch car sterio bass speaker in there and wired it up/biased it.

It's the most ghetto bass amp on the planet, but it gets the job done.

So bass= $250

Ghetto amp =$150

Looks on peoples faces when this piece of s h i t starts making sounds = priceless.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 18, 2008,
Page 1 of 2