Okay, recently I got it into my head that making a guitar would be a pretty cool idea. It's as a hobby, so I won't have access to any heavy-duty tools and stuff.

I want to make an acoustic and I reckon I'll have a few questions along the way, so I figured who better to ask than the wise folk at Ultimate Guitar.

Here goes:

First question - what woods should I use for the various bits and pieces?

Second question - has anybody got any good schematics for different bracing patterns? I've seen a few, but none with specific measurements or the kind of detail needed to follow it practically.

Third question - and the final one for now, with regard to bending the wood for the sides of the guitar, what's the best way to do it?

Thanking y'all in advance.
Well, acoustics are....difficult if I must say so myself. But for backs and sides you can use mahogany, walnut, maple or just about any easily workable wood. As for tops, there are a ton of different spruce species like citka, adirondack, and so on. Then there are the exotic tops like koa, and you can use cedar tops. Just google acoustic guitars and check out their tone woods and use the same wood to try and achieve a similiar tone. And neck, probably mahogany, but necks can be made from just about anything.

I think bracing is based a lot off of theory. There is a bunch of readups you can do for bracing. I'd suggest doing that, then basing your design off another guitar.

A heat blanket with a bending jig. I think the wood is heated 200+ F* if I remember right. Also, some people actually cook the guitar top. Which is 350 C*, if that's what I remember. It arguably increases quality of the tone. I'd suggest google for all the basics and stuff, it's all there. Plus, the amount of people that have ever made acoustic guitars on UG is really small, and I haven't made one either.
Is English your primary language?
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Thanks for the advice ohspyro89, I'll do a bit of reading.

And yes, English is my primary language.

?
my first recomendation would be to buy books
a lot of books
and then read them all
preferably theyl be about acoustic guitar building
i have build your own acoustic guitar by jonathon kinkead
and i would be so lost without infact im still a little lost with it which leads me back to my first point being buying alot of books
than go from there
I remember watching a series of videos on Youtube where a canadian gut built an acoustic. The vids were amazingly detailed and explaned every aspect of building a guitar. I would highly recomend watching those first
First build: To do an acoustic is very... lets not say stupid... lets say daring

Hope it goes well, subscribed.
Quote by Rich_553
I remember watching a series of videos on Youtube where a canadian gut built an acoustic. The vids were amazingly detailed and explaned every aspect of building a guitar. I would highly recomend watching those first

I've actually been watching them anyway. Waaaaaaay ahead of ya.

And thank you, ClementWave, for that vote of confidence...
You need certain tools to make an Electric guitar.

You need miles more tools (clamps, clamps, clamps, clamps) and stuff to make an acoustic guitar.

However, if you feel the need to be "daring", as somebody said, then the very first thing you need to do is buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarmaking-Tradition-Technology-Construction-Steel-String/dp/0811806405/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227036096&sr=8-1

The videos you are watching, I suggested to someone on here too. Anyway, from reading the book, it would appear that the Canadian guy, learnt all aboot guitar building, from that book.

There are other books, but they would supplement that book; it is the best.

You may want to consider making an Electric guitar first.

Woods wise, Rosewood is often used for the back and sides. Spruce (Sitka being the best) for the top. You could use Maple, but it makes the guitar brighter sounding.

Good luck.
Quote by Skeet UK
You need certain tools to make an Electric guitar.

You need miles more tools (clamps, clamps, clamps, clamps) and stuff to make an acoustic guitar.

However, if you feel the need to be "daring", as somebody said, then the very first thing you need to do is buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarmaking-Tradition-Technology-Construction-Steel-String/dp/0811806405/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227036096&sr=8-1

The videos you are watching, I suggested to someone on here too. Anyway, from reading the book, it would appear that the Canadian guy, learnt all aboot guitar building, from that book.

There are other books, but they would supplement that book; it is the best.

You may want to consider making an Electric guitar first.

Woods wise, Rosewood is often used for the back and sides. Spruce (Sitka being the best) for the top. You could use Maple, but it makes the guitar brighter sounding.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input, I was considering doing an electric at first, but I'm really more of an acoustic player myself and don't fancy mastering electronics as well as woodwork. And that book looks helpful, it's now on my Christmas list.
best of luck man, best of luck. I can only say: PICS if you do this. I want to see how to do this for myself
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.