Going to make this short to not bother anyone too much.

Background: Had Electric Guitar Ibanez for over a year. Only practiced about 20 hours total lifetime. I now have it hooked up to my computer with a GearBox and will practice 20-30 minutes before I go to sleep at night.

What I Can Do: I can play several simple songs at somewhat a decent level. Right now I am learning basic chords and just started practicing the Pentatonic Scale. No need for more words, here is my latest recording to show where I'm at on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSGA1zzNsAM

Question: What should I practice on? Scales? Chords? Basics? My goal is to get good enough to play something simple like Smells Like Teen Spirit or some other of the popular songs on this site's top 100 list.

Thanks.
Guitar: Ibanez Electric GRG Series
Amp: Ibanez
Experience: Less than 1 Year

Don't sleep on me, I bring dreams to reality.
just powerchords if you just want to play songs like smells like teen spirit.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
just powerchords if you just want to play songs like smells like teen spirit.

I am have issues with strumming and muting notes. Is doing scales all the time beneficial? I heard if you can do them good, you can play many songs?

practice scales and everything forget chords your playing is quiet shitty as of now
Quote by fretburn
practice scales and everything forget chords your playing is quiet shitty as of now

Fretburn, thank you for your extremely unhelpful/rude post.

Ignore it.

Your playing is decent for someone who hasn't really practiced.

My advice would be to start off learning Power Chords (songs like smells like...), then move on to some major chords, minor chords, simple riffs, scales, etc, etc

It may seem stupid to start right at the basics, even though you can play a song, but a lot of guitar playing builds on the basics. Without them, its kind of like building a house without laying a foundation.

**EDIT: Not to say that you cant practice scales now! But chords are important, there are a lot of guitar players, myself included, who can play decent lead, but have no sense of playing rhythm. but anyway, as soon as some of the more experienced members come online, I'm sure that they'll be able to expand on what I've said a lot clearer than I could **
Last edited by Jay2007 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by Jay2007
Dont listen to him..

Your playing is decent for someone who hasn't really practiced.

My advice would be to start off learning Power Chords (songs like smells like...), then move on to some major chords, minor chords, simple riffs, scales, etc, etc

It may seem stupid to start right at the basics, even though you can play a song, but a lot of guitar playing builds on the basics. Without them, its kind of like building a house without laying a foundation.

Yeah even though I can play simple tab songs, I know I gotta be practicing scales or something. I saw through the practice section on this site of going 1-2-3-4 from one E string to the other diagonally down the guitar and then back and repeat this over and over. Also I haven't been using a monodrome but will start with one of those free ones on the internet. I have been watching Paul Gilbert video that came with the guitar and can do about 2/3's of that stuff. With just the scales, he was able to make a song out of it. That is my goal for the near future. I need to find out how to:

-mute
-strum
-bend strings
-go faster