I have a stock epi les paul studio and am looking to upgrade my pickups. I play blues and classic rock, I want my bridge pickup to have som bite for leads, and I would like to get a nice woman tone out of the neck. I play equally clean as with overdrive so they need to sound nice clean too.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I don't have a les paul myself, but I play similar stuff to you, as well as use clean and distortion equally. I would suggest Symour Duncan Phat Cat P-90s. I swear by those pickups. They give you enough bite to solo with, and when it's clean with the neck pickup, it sounds as smooth as you can get.

They should freaking pay me.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
I usually play EMG's, and you could use a 81-85 or 2x85 combo, but that might be too harsh. Personally, I think that the 85 is too low output, but you might like it for blues drive. I recently played seymour duncan 59's and they are hot but might give you what you are looking for. I might pair one of those with a seymour SH-1 to play what you are describing.
I hope this is helpful,
-me
Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.
Fender Mexi. Strat w/ Lace Sensor Golds
Schecter C-1 Classic
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

Peavey Valveking 112
with Eminence Private Jack Speaker
Pearly Gates. Perfect for what you want to do.

Edit: Mark's right below, an amp is more in order.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You don't need new pickups, you need a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
save up for a better amp, your stock pickups should cover all the genres you like for the moment.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Well, my parents already told me no amp for xmas or my birthday so I have to buy that myself, but I want to upgrade my tone still. I am already satisfied with my distortion pedals (90's Green Russian Muff and a Digitech Screamin Blues) so I am looking at pickups.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
Well, my parents already told me no amp for xmas or my birthday so I have to buy that myself, but I want to upgrade my tone still. I am already satisfied with my distortion pedals (90's Green Russian Muff and a Digitech Screamin Blues) so I am looking at pickups.

But there's absolutely no point spending money on them - you're not going to get any sort of "upgrade" in tone until you get shot of the Frontman.

It's like putting a spoiler on a shit car - it's not going actually to do anything unless the rest of the equipment is up to scratch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I disagree I get a nice tone out of the Frontman without disturbing the peace in my house, and I was asking about pickups not amps, I already have an amp picked out that I'm saving for so if you can't contribute to the question posed don't answer at all.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I got the Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues pickup set in my Epiphone Dot and they sound very nice, so that might be something you can check into, especially since you play blues and classic rock.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by lbj273
I disagree I get a nice tone out of the Frontman without disturbing the peace in my house, and I was asking about pickups not amps, I already have an amp picked out that I'm saving for so if you can't contribute to the question posed don't answer at all.

Then wait until you've got your new amp, you've got no way of knowing what pickups to get or if you even need a pickup swap until you have some experience with your new rig. Not only was I contributing, arguably I gave you the most sensible advice in the entire thread...it's not my fault it wasn't waht you wanted to hear.

I suggest asking for advice on the amp too - there's a lot of amp knowledge on this forum and it's saved many a member from buying a lemon.

And there's no escaping the fact that the Frontman is a poor amp...it's piece of entry level kit and it's not going to benefit from a pickup change.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 18, 2008,
I based my decision based on these forums by browsing many which amp threads. There is no denying that I will need a pickup change, the stock pickups while they are decent, need to be upgraded. And the Frontman may be an entry level amp but it does what I need it to do right now, and with the right EQ settings it has an acceptable tone. So if you don't have a suggestion for which pickups I should look into then I advise you spend your time giving others some sensible advice.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Buying new pickups isn't gonna change your tone with that frontman. Your better off keeping the money towards a new tube amp, that way when you do spend money it will make a difference rather then wasting 200 bucks on new pups and having to wait a few months before it makes any difference.
Quote by pac108
Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

This.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
The basic tones that you are looking for come from an overdriven tube amp. If you change your pups now you will not likely magically get a woman tone and the hot bridge pick up will not push the frontman harder because there is nothing to push.

If you were to fit a set of better low output humbuckers such as a jazz in the neck and a 59 in the bridge or a pair of 59s you may notice that the guitar sounds less muddy and is clearer and more articulate. When I fitted a pair of 59s to my epi G400 the guitar sounded better through my valve junior the cleans were much better and the overdriven everything was just much crisper.

The problem is the that pups you buy now may not be what you want when your new amps arrives.
Wow that was a mighty bump, I now have the amp I was talking about, a Palomino v50 so I guess now I will start taking suggestions on pickups again.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

And that is a decent amp, so you can put a pair of Pearly Gates in your guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc