I'm starting this thread for anyone who owns, or is interested in owning one of the Blakcheart Little Giant 5w/3w heads or combos. Or really any Blackheart amp for that matter. I'm excited to start modding mine and I know I need some some help or a point of reference from time to time. Feel free to share anything you've come across messing with this cool little amp. I'd like to establish a sort of "mini-forum" for Blackhearts.

Stuff I've discovered or am working on:

1. I highly recommend buying two heads/cabs, or two combos. You'll still spend
only about half as much as you would buying a big name brand amp.
The other day I replaced the stock chinese tubes with some Electro Harmonix
tubes.
Honestly not a huge tone difference, but it was in A/B-ing my retubed amp with a
stock one that I discovered how great these amps are in stereo. Granted, a lot of
things sound better in stereo, but if you're like me and you were worried about
the Little Giant's gigging abilities, the stereo setup gives you the jump in volume
and presence you need to compete with a drummer and bass player. I got curious
and plugged the two heads into a stereo marshall 4x12 with vintage 30's. The
result was very pleasing, although with only 5 watts I think the best result is
going to come from one amp into one speaker. Ultimately I want to have a single
stereo 2x12 cabinet, but you can get some really nice stereo effects (delay, chorus)
from spacing the two individual 1x12's out a couple of feet from each other.

2. Speaking of effects, this amp loves them.
I'm a big power chord chugger. Not metal chugging...think Green Day, Dookie. The
low-wattage of the amp and lack of a master volume comes into play here too. Its
got decent enough gain, and the low end actually stays fairly tight, but it can get
a little flubby. I put a tube screamer in front of it and just added a smidge of extra
boost. Wow. The low end tightened right up and you get a nice midrange boost
that cuts right through. Combine that with the stereo setup and again, very
giggable. I also tried a boss dd-6 delay and a super chorus, both in stereo. Those
effects came through very clean and sparkling. Its a very transparent amp.

3. Mods...
I bought some replacement capacitors to do a couple of mods I found on
guitarnuts.com. John Atchley is the owner of the site and he's obviously very
knowledgeable in electronics and guitar amp modding. He's got a lot of good ideas
for cleaning up the wiring to quiet the amp down, and making some very simple
capacitor and resistor changes to refine the tone of the amp. Lots of emphasis on
tightening up the low end, which as I mentioned, this amp could use. All his
suggestions involve very inexpensive parts. I got enough stuff to do the mods
on two heads for less than $25, which is a lot less than some of the kits that are
being sold.

4. The Speaker
The Blackheart 1x12 cab and combo comes with an "Eminence Designed" 75 watt
speaker. I've read several reviews expressing disappointment to outright disgust
about this speaker/cab. Frankly I don't get it. I've heard a lot worse.
To experiment I opened up the 1x12 and switched the stock speaker with a 25w
Celestion Greenback (generally my favorite guitar speaker). The idea was to get
a little cone breakup from the lower wattage speaker. I wasn't impressed. Lost
some high-mids, and the low end got too loose. It's my opinion that with this being
a low wattage amp, and thus breaking up easily, more speaker breakup isn't
neccessarily good. At least it isn't for the sound I want. I also tried a 15w Celestion
Alnico Blue. I wouldn't recommend it for all out rocking, but it did have a really
sparkling, complex tone. I liked the low end response better than with the
Greenback. Lastly I tried a Vintage 30, and I think I like it the best with the
Little Giant. Tight low end, nice classic British voicing. But, I don't think there is
really anything wrong with the stock speaker and will probably stick with them for
a while, try them in my new 2x12, and see where I'm at. Might not change them.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823041&highlight=is+your+heart+black+enough

sorry...it never took off cuz they were still pretty new and not many people on UG had one...cept for like the guy who got the BH tattoo on his arm HAHA.

but yea, if you want we can just merge your info into my original thread and i'll give credit for any info that isn't mine.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823041&highlight=is+your+heart+black+enough

sorry...it never took off cuz they were still pretty new and not many people on UG had one...cept for like the guy who got the BH tattoo on his arm HAHA.

but yea, if you want we can just merge your info into my original thread and i'll give credit for any info that isn't mine.

Yeah thats cool. I would have just joined in on that if I would have known it was there.