i just picked this phase 3 univox hiflyer up at a pawnshop yesterday for 60 bucks.
i havent taken any pictures of it yet, but here are some pictures of similar guitars if youre interested...

it looks pretty much exactly like this...

only the pickups, knobs, and (sadly) the finish looks more like this bass version of the same guitar...

tell me what you think? good buy? ugly guitar?
not my personal preference (im getting a dean razorback haha) but whatever floats your boat
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I really like the look. Is it right hand? If so, I love the reverse body shape. Know any info about pickups? Do you know the date of the manufacturing?

Good find, I wish I found guitars like those.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
yes, it is right hand (although when i first saw it on the wall, and fell in love with it... i thought it was a lefty! lol, i was gonna try to swap the strings and play it upside down! then i grabbed it from the wall and realized it was a righty with a reverse style body. after that, i loved it even more!)

the pickups are, from what i can tell, just the stock humbucking pickups. im not good at describing tone unfortunately, and ive only been playing guitar about 6 months so i cant help you there. but i think they sound really cool with just a little bit of distortion.

the phase 3 hi flyer was made from i think about 1972 to about 1976. give or take a year here or there. to that makes it about 32-36 years old.
Wow, thats a really good find. I'd love to get an old guitar.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Wow, thats a really good find. I'd love to get an old guitar.

check your local pawn shops and thift stores.

i got inspired when i discovered that this ultra-cool vintage hollow body bass (not sure on the make actually, ive never seen another bass like it) this lady i know bought at a thrift store for 10 bucks. she claims to have bought two of them a long time ago at the same thift store and sold one to a collector.
I'd love to have one. for 60 bucks you couldn't go wrong ^.^
when was it made?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I'd love to have one. for 60 bucks you couldn't go wrong ^.^
when was it made?

early to mid seventies
this is a pretty shameless bump, just wondering what other people think of my new purchase. im pretty excited about it.
jeez... you gotta love dem pawn shops eh???

anyway sweet guitar ive always loved ones shapped like that, likes like the ones the ventures used. have fun with it man and dont forget to play it and not pamper it like most do :P

HAVE FUN!
Last edited by rorygodowsky at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by rorygodowsky
jeez... you gotta love dem pawn shops eh???

anyway sweet guitar ive always loved ones shapped like that, likes like the ones the venture brothers used. have fun with it man and dont forget to play it and not pamper it like most do :P

HAVE FUN!

you can be assured that i will play it, just as soon as i replace the nut and figure whats wrong with it electrically... it has a tendency to cutout when you switch pickups and you have to flip the switch back and forth to get some output again. doesnt seem like a big deal to me...

and thats exactly what it is, a mosrite copy. apparently the univox copies have their own little following though.
Very nice pickup actually. I just got mine today, a Memphis Brand LP guitar, about 1980. This is the set neck solid mahogany version, appears by Ibanez. Some of these old Vintage guitars are such a steal. This is my 3rd Vintage, I have a Beatle type bass that cost 50, this new one cost 60 plus shipping.
Main Gear
Hagstrom Select Swede- Fender C600 (modded of course) - Peavey PV8
Main Effects
- DSP2024P - MT-2 - Yamaha CO-10M - MXR Phase 90 - BBE Stinger - Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus
Yay! You've got the Kurt Cobain guitar!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by shvmr
Very nice pickup actually. I just got mine today, a Memphis Brand LP guitar, about 1980. This is the set neck solid mahogany version, appears by Ibanez. Some of these old Vintage guitars are such a steal. This is my 3rd Vintage, I have a Beatle type bass that cost 50, this new one cost 60 plus shipping.

HOORAY for good deals! i think i got some of my friends into it to. some of them plan on going pawn shop prowling looking for something unique.

not every vintage guitar has to be a les paul.

mine (and your les paul copy) are very unique and worth every cent at $60.

and yes, it is "the kurt cobain guitar" kurt cobain apparently owned several of these guitars. a fact i only discovered after i bought mine. makes it a little bit cooler!

edit: i would lOVE to get a paul mccartney-style violin bass. at $50 i couldnt pass that up... want to sell yours? lol.
Heh. I have mine in bits right now, unlike the Memphis, this needs a bit of work, as the pots and input jack are rusted. Unfortunately, this may go to people more experienced than I, because the only way to truly fix it is to take the trim off and then the top (It's a acoustic/electric, which is different than the Hofner) but, it works fine if I don't, except for the tone, the pot is too damaged.

It's a bit of a oddball one as well, not really a copy, I think it was right at the time Kawai (who I figured made this) started to go off in odd ball directions with design. I place this very early 70's, but it's almost impossible to date this one, it's just based on the age that the finish shows. It actually has double trim lines on it to boot. This was the original image from the previous owner of the bass

I got both off of ebay, I bid 1 penny above 50, and was the only bidder. There was shipping of course, but my pawn shops are so out to lunch on their prices, so that's the only way I can get these older ones. So far, been very lucky with these two. I have a third Vintage, a Jazzmaster bass copy, which I bought new in 1977, and still have, and it still works great. Man, these old timers are sure tough.
Main Gear
Main Effects
- DSP2024P - MT-2 - Yamaha CO-10M - MXR Phase 90 - BBE Stinger - Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus
Last edited by shvmr at Nov 20, 2008,
Quote by shvmr
Heh. I have mine in bits right now, unlike the Memphis, this needs a bit of work, as the pots and input jack are rusted. Unfortunately, this may go to people more experienced than I, because the only way to truly fix it is to take the trim off and then the top (It's a acoustic/electric, which is different than the Hofner) but, it works fine if I don't, except for the tone, the pot is too damaged.

It's a bit of a oddball one as well, not really a copy, I think it was right at the time Kawai (who I figured made this) started to go off in odd ball directions with design. I place this very early 70's, but it's almost impossible to date this one, it's just based on the age that the finish shows. It actually has double trim lines on it to boot. This was the original image from the previous owner of the bass

I got both off of ebay, I bid 1 penny above 50, and was the only bidder. There was shipping of course, but my pawn shops are so out to lunch on their prices, so that's the only way I can get these older ones. So far, been very lucky with these two. I have a third Vintage, a Jazzmaster bass copy, which I bought new in 1977, and still have, and it still works great. Man, these old timers are sure tough.

that bass is sick... but whats up with the crooked machine heads? lol.
also, and ive seen this on other violin basses, but whats the deal with that first fret right next to the nut?

is it pretty neck heavy being that the (already small) body is hollow?

can yoyu put up some recordings of the violin bass and the memphis?

i saw your jazz bass in the background of the memphis pics. its nice too. i like old guitars, even old cheap ones and copies. or perhaps, especially old cheap ones and copies.

the pricing at my pawn shop is crazy out of whack too. they had an epihone les paul junior for almost $300 bucks... i didnt have the heart to tell them its like a $100 guitar new...
I have new machine heads on order.

They sound fine, just don't have the tools to record... yet. The bass is a bit neck heavy, but not to bad. If you want heavy, try putting a Select Swede around your neck. My friend is 6-4, 280 and even he is tired after a while. That's a LOT of wood.

You can't beat the prices on this stuff. They may be beaters to people who buy new, but some of these things are real gems, and if they were made today, be worth a bit of money as they weren't cranked out by some robot factory. To be honest, I think the memphis will turn out to be the same type of guitar as a Epi higher end LP, if not a bit better because I will put in higher quality parts. I expect this will end up at about 250, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than a higher end EPI SG or even the elitist.

I have noticed though that the MIJ vintage stuff is being bidded higher now. Maybe because of the economy, and GAS addicted people are finding it cheaper and still getting pretty decent guitars. Your Univox is a decent brand, may not be at Tokai prices, but what you payed for it was a steal. I had a couple similar ones bookmarked, and one went for over 240. They are suppose to be really decent guitars, the Beatle bass version they put out is very sought after now. I've been looking for a Univox, but may settle for a Teisco Del Ray as the next one when it comes time for another Vintage. I'm actually lusting after another new Hagstrom, the Vikings with the new trem arm system.

Oh, the first fret is referred to as the zero fret, I was a bit surprised to see it as well. Maybe someone here could explain that, as it seems to be something decent about it.
Main Gear
Main Effects
thanks for telling me its called a "zero fret" i was able to look this up. hope it helps!

Function
The zero fret is positioned at the location normally occupied by the nut. On a guitar having a zero fret, the nut is located behind the zero fret and serves solely to keep the strings spaced properly. The strings rest atop the zero fret, which is higher than the other frets. This provides the proper clearance as the strings pass over the fretboard.

Purpose
On an instrument with a zero fret, the sound of an open string more closely approximates the sound of a fretted string as compared to the open string sound on a guitar with no zero fret.

The zero fret is commonly (but not exclusively) associated with cheaper instruments, since the cost of the labor involved in making a nut with slots carefully filed to the correct height is greater than the labor required to install a zero fret. Some manufacturers that frequently use(d) a zero fret are Gretsch, Kay, Selmer, Höfner, Anderson, and Vigier.

Steinberger uses a zero fret with their headless guitars. Due to the way the strings are attached at the end where the head would normally be, there is no need for the string guides that the nut provides. Use of a zero-fret is a simpler design, and allows changing string gauges without worrying about nut slot width.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
not my personal preference (im getting a dean razorback haha) but whatever floats your boat

His guitar > 99.9% of Dean's products... You should be lookin for stuff like him imo.
Respect others tastes man!
I mean, I prefer the TS' guitar to any Dean but still, you're telling a metal player to get a vintage guitar.
That's like telling a vegetarian to get a nice big steak down 'em.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Respect others tastes man!
I mean, I prefer the TS' guitar to any Dean but still, you're telling a metal player to get a vintage guitar.
That's like telling a vegetarian to get a nice big steak down 'em.

I didn't say anything mean. Plus vintage or new doesn't matter. AMP > Pickups > Guitar.
I wasn't insinuating that you did
And I know, I play metal with my single coils, but the point being certain guitars are more suited to certain things, and it's not always about tone. The Razorback has 22 frets, that guitar has 21, it has a Floyd rose that one doesn't, etc etc ya get the picture like.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
And I know, I play metal with my single coils, but the point being certain guitars are more suited to certain things, and it's not always about tone. The Razorback has 22 frets, that guitar has 21, it has a Floyd rose that one doesn't, etc etc ya get the picture like.

22/21 frets doesn't actually matter most of the time like people think it does. Very rarely do artists go past 19.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

doesnt have a floyd rose, but it does have a whammy bar.

im just missing the bar for it. ill order a replacement for it after i replace the nut.
Well, I like the Vintage better at least. I guess I don't appreciate the modern style of trasher guitar made for the modern music style that's 3 chords and a lot of screaming.
personally, I think your Univox is as good as most guitars new under 500, if not better. But it was also made for another era, led zep, VH, the who etc
Main Gear
Main Effects