Page 1 of 2
I'm on a really tight budget so I was wondering what are the first few pedals I should try buy. I realy want a wah, but I want a few other stomps as well.(I was looking a the behringer range btw )

Also I currently have a starter kit guitar and amp(really bad, but i cant afford a new amp or guitar right now )

Is it worth it to put pedals in front of a bad amp?

Thanks!
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
Save up for a new amp first. No pedal will improve your tone more. And don't buy Behringer.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
It's not really worth it, my advice is to keep saving and buy a decent amp first, then a guitar and then start buying nice stompboxes. But if you really want that wah, just buy it, as long as it's not the behringer wah. I'd recommend a Dunlop 535Q or if you want to mod a GBC-95 and than mod it to your likings.
The problem is i'll have to wait 3 years to save up enough for a decent amp and if i buy the pedals now i'll still be able to buy the amp in 3 years time(will have started working by then)

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Eh, I'd avoid Dunlop altogether unless you can mod them. The best budget wahs are the Ibanez Weeping Demon and the Vox V847. In higher price ranges, go for Morley and Budda.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
If you want budget pedals, I'd suggest Danelectro, the FAB Chorus and FAB OD aren't half bad for their price, which is about 15$, infact the Chorus is really good.

Also, don't believe too much hate for Boss, they aren't the best but alot of their pedals are really good, you just have find a model you like.
Quote by thedude97
Eh, I'd avoid Dunlop altogether unless you can mod them. The best budget wahs are the Ibanez Weeping Demon and the Vox V847. In higher price ranges, go for Morley and Budda.

Neither the V847 or the Weeping Demon are budget pedals - one rings in at $90 while the other at $100. There are wahs that sound good that are cheaper than that.

TS: DON'T waste your money on pedals if you only have a starter amp - You can bathe a hobo and dress him up and he may look fancy but he is still a hobo.

Save up for a new amp (and possibly a new guitar) before looking for pedals.
get a noise gate/suppressor. if an ns-2 is too much, go with the closest thing from behringer, the nr100 - you should do this regardless of what you play.

after that, it depends on style a lot, though a good compressor is useful to almost all guitarists.
Thanks for all the help guys, i'm just looking for anything to make my amp sound even remotely better. I actually play in a band with it and the other guitarist's got a MG and it blows my amp out of the water. I read that one guy put these pedals in front of a silvertone starter amp and it made a huge difference! I dunno, im kinda dessparate here!

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

look on your local craigslist you might find a nice used amp for around 2 hundy.
Dude im pretty sure you can get a 75 watt peavey for 2 bills right, and if not do what ^this guy said, what area do you live in, look into craigslist.
Dude im pretty sure you can get a 75 watt peavey vypyr for 2 bills right, and if not do what ^this guy said, what area do you live in, look into craigslist.

As stated before buy a new amp, pedals arent worth a damn on a ****ty amp, unless its a 250$+ pedal.

If youve got a turd sandwich you can add kethup to it, you can put in some musturd, put some whip cream on it, and god knows what else, but in the end your still eating a turd sandwich and im pretty sure its ganna taste the same.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by thedude97

Ibanez Weeping Demon - $99
Vox V847a - $89
Dunlop Crybaby - $69

The Crybaby appears to be more along the lines of a 'budget' wah to me. Also, I wouldn't recommend the Weeping Demon wah.
I'm probabily buying online but they do have a good return policy. And yes its 200 bucks usd, which is about R2000. To give some perspective a DS-1 is R539. and the behringers are around R400-R550 depending on the pedal.

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

its online but its in SA. Question: Behringer have a v-tone amp modelling pedal, if a added that and some other pedals would it make a difference? **gets hopes up**

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Oh okay. That makes sense.

Well, I think that the smartest thing to do here to to evalute your situation in detail.
1 - You can't afford a new amp right now.
2 - You want to make a purchase that'll be an investment, IE, 3 years down the line, it will still be useful.
3- You want to improve your tone now.

So tell me more about your gear now.

Your amp, what features does it have? Clean and distortion "channels" or at least switching?
What's lacking about your tone right now? In other words, how would you like to improve it?
Here's the list i've come up with:

Behringer COMPRESSOR/ SUSTAINER CS100
Behringer NOISE REDUCER NR100
Behringer HELLBABE HB01
Behringer DISTORTION MODELER DM100
Behringer V-TONE GUITAR GDI21 Guitar Amp Modeler / Direct Recording Preamp / DI Box

it's or if im lucky a used cort Z44 guitar

but here's the thing, if i buy a guitar or amp now it'll still be relatively crappy and im gonna want another one.

Last question if i put all these pedals between my guitar and a pa amp would it be better?

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

is that sx starter guitar from rondo music by chance? if so i hear they are better if not equal to squiers for like half the price. alot of tone comes from fingers and your amp. a vyper or cube 30x would do you good.
Quote by frets15

Behringer HELLBABE HB01
Behringer V-TONE GUITAR GDI21 Guitar Amp Modeler / Direct Recording Preamp / DI Box

but here's the thing, if i buy a guitar or amp now it'll still be relatively crappy and im gonna want another one.

Last question if i put all these pedals between my guitar and a pa amp would it be better?

To be perfectly honest with you, Behringer effects really aren't going to improve your tone because they sound pretty bad themselves.
^^^ soorry didn't see your post before. Right now i've got a 2 channel amp that switches between od and clean, no gain control. and it gives off a lot of hum,. I modded it so it has a direct output so i can put in into a pa or a car amp attached to speakers which i'm currently building. my guitar is a strat copy, not absolutely terrible but not great.

My tone is very boring, it got no life, no energy. Its just very meh!

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Quote by frets15
^ soorry didn't see your post before. Right now if got a 2 channel amp that switches between od and clean, no gain control. and it gives off a lot of hum,. I modded it so it has a direct output so i can put in into a pa or a car amp attached to speakers which i'm currently building. my guitar is a strat copy, not absolutely terrible but not great.

My tone is very boring, it got no life, no energy. Its just very meh!

Well, I think that the two kind of pedals that will make the most improvement in your tone would be an EQ pedal like this one:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GE7-Equalizer-Pedal?sku=151324
and a distortion pedal, maybe like this one:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MI-Audio-Crunch-Box-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150347

What brand are available to you?

Quote by frets15

Behringer HELLBABE HB01

I'm not a real big believer in Behringer effects. They're pretty awful, in terms of tone and durability. Expect a lot of that stuff to break.
Quote by fender
is that sx starter guitar from rondo music by chance? if so i hear they are better if not equal to squiers for like half the price. alot of tone comes from fingers and your amp. a vyper or cube 30x would do you good.

No idea!

Thanks for all your help guys, but i'd just like to say that i know all these pedal wont make my amp sound amazing. i just want it to sound better, which cant be that hard since its super crap right now :lol:

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Maybe you should just buy a Multi effects processor. A lot of people around here don't like it, but it gives almost all effects, at least the most used ones, for a reasonable price. And IMO something like a boss ME-50 would sound better than a chain of Behringer effects. But it'll probably be a bit more expensive
i can get:

boss
tech 21
vox
electro-harmonix
behringer (obviously ;-))

i was thinking 'bout an eq too, will that make a differance?

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe you should just buy a Multi effects processor. A lot of people around here don't like it, but it gives almost all effects, at least the most used ones, for a reasonable price. And IMO something like a boss ME-50 would sound better than a chain of Behringer effects. But it'll probably be a bit more expensive

I could get an me-20?

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Quote by frets15
i can get:

boss
tech 21
vox
electro-harmonix
behringer (obviously ;-))

i was thinking 'bout an eq too, will that make a differance?

That Boss ME-20 is a good idea. Lot of tonal variety.

And an EQ pedal is a good idea. An EQ can be the most powerful tool in any guitarist's rig, as it lets you truely shape your tone. So if you feel your amp has a muddy and flabby low end, you can dial a bit out to tighten it up with your EQ. And your EQ pedal will continue to be useful when you get a new and better amp.

Also, are you able to get a Roland Microcube? It's a practice amp that's affordable, and better sounding than yours, and better sounding than that MG. Or maybe a Vox AD15VT?
Microcube vs Me-20 bearing in mind i will get another amp in 2-3 years time?

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Well, It's all about which might make the bigger difference now. The Microcube will also continue to function as a great practice amp, as you can use headphones, practice at night, or at other moments where you can't crank your amp. It's portable, and easy to carry along to a friend's place for casual jamming.

No chance on the Vox?
You should definitely wait, regardless of how hard it seems. Buy a nice tube combo in the $500 price range, and then upgrade to a nice guitar. After that, it would be a good time to polish your tone with effects.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, It's all about which might make the bigger difference now. The Microcube will also continue to function as a great practice amp, as you can use headphones, practice at night, or at other moments where you can't crank your amp. It's portable, and easy to carry along to a friend's place for casual jamming.

No chance on the Vox?

But, you could also use the ME-20 to play over your amp, and plug a headphone into it (I believe that's possible) at nights and when you buy an other amp you can still use the ME-20 so it's not a waste of money.

I'd go for the ME-20, but that's just me.
Quote by A7X-LoGaN-A7X
You should definitely wait, regardless of how hard it seems. Buy a nice tube combo in the $500 price range, and then upgrade to a nice guitar. After that, it would be a good time to polish your tone with effects.

Even if i don't wait i can still buy a decent amp, i've got a good job lined up!

im so undecided now between the me-20 and a micro cube? any more opinions? maybe i'll make a poll...

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Last edited by frets15 at Nov 17, 2008,
Id get the cube, IMO its the best for practice. I got a 20x cause at the time I needed a practice amp that was all that was in stock in the cube line.

For Pedals IMO: I rather save for top-rate equipment the first time than buy budget and later down the line buy again.
Well what type of music do you play? Can't believe no one asked that lol
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by cruc1a7

For Pedals IMO: I rather save for top-rate equipment the first time than buy budget and later down the line buy again.

very tru!

Do you know if the microcube has a direct output to plug into a pa?, if it does i might by 1!

edit:

i.e. is it loud enough to gig with going through a pa/mic'd?

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Last edited by frets15 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by LaidBack
Well what type of music do you play? Can't believe no one asked that lol

it doesn't realy matter at this point i just need something!!! but i plays everything from jazz to metalcore fyi.

Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250

Ok, variety is good, but are there any tones from a song or band that you would like to focus more on? That usually helps us narrow down what would be best for you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Page 1 of 2