Poll: Black or Red Jazz III's
Poll Options
View poll results: Black or Red Jazz III's
Black
31 51%
Red
30 49%
Voters: 61.
Hi guys, i am going to buy some new picks, what colour shall i get??

Black

or

Red

What colour Jazz III's do you guys use?
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
I use the purple Tortex Jazz picks, actually But what color you use depends on what music you play. Metal, or blues/jazz? The blacks are stiffer, but the reds have a little more give to them.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I use the purple Tortex Jazz picks, actually But what color you use depends on what music you play. Metal, or blues/jazz? The blacks are stiffer, but the reds have a little more give to them.

I play blues, and classic rock mostly.
Quote by wiggyisgreat

PM me to join!
Quote by Shinozoku

Purple tortexes ftw.
TS, go with black.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Tortex??
Ive never rly played with them before. only a few times.
are they any good? if so which ones are good?
Quote by wiggyisgreat

PM me to join!
Both, the red ones are more flexible so i use them for rhythm stuff.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Black ones.

Dunlop Jazz III XL FTW!
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
Ultex Jazz picks rape all other picks. We got a box of them (12 packs of 5) at guitar center, and I sold all of them that day. These are the only picks I use now. they're beautiful.

EDIT: If you go to guitar center, and they don't have them, ask them to order some! THEY DEFINITELY CAN!
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
I use green 88mm tortex's almost exclusively now lol.

But I used to use jazz iii's.

I've used both colors.

WHAT I've found out about the red ones is that it is a completely smooth surface. The BLACK ones have some sort of slight grip on it that made a big difference for me. Even if you put the black ones in the light you can see the grip. At first I thought it was oil or sweat from my fingers. Then I realized it was grip and I was like "NICE"
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
1mm Blue Dunlop Tortexes. They're FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Slooj
I play blues, and classic rock mostly.

Probably red, then. Eric Johnson also has a sig out, if you'd like to try it
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
for everyone recommending standard tortex, I will agree that they're good picks. I used those for almost 5 years of playing. Once I picked up the ultex jazz III's though, I had to admit that standard picks are just inferior.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Buy both the red and black. They're like $.30 a piece. You can probably find that much in the seats of your couch and in your car.

I used to use the Red Jazz III's (they're faster than the blacks), then I moved on to the tortex purple H3's.

Now I exclusively use V-picks (shredder and diamond)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I just recently switched to black Jazz III's from Fender heavys. I'm getting used to it but at first they felt like they were gonna fly out of my fingers. They still feel a little small to me. They sure are fast and accurate, though.

I wonder if the reds will stay put better.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by sabbathu
I just recently switched to black Jazz III's from Fender heavys. I'm getting used to it but at first they felt like they were gonna fly out of my fingers. They still feel a little small to me. They sure are fast and accurate, though.

I wonder if the reds will stay put better.

From my experience, the black ones are grippier while the red ones are less grippy but are more stiff.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
are those ultex jazz III picks bigger than the red and black ones?
I use a black one and I can't play anything else, nothing else is as acurate as a Black Jazz III, those things are gorgeous.
Quote by Rave765
are those ultex jazz III picks bigger than the red and black ones?

They're very slightly thicker, but not as big as a standard size pick if that's what you're asking. The tip is smoother as well.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Get .71mm Dunlop USA Gator Grip picks, (Purple) imo, the best for any style. They wear out pretty fast if you play metal/shred/neo-classical though.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
From my experience, the black ones are grippier while the red ones are less grippy but are more stiff.

actually, the red ones are less stiff, but in order to compensate for the "less grippyness" your hand compensates by gripping the pick harder, so it hits the string with more resistance, but all that resistance is coming from your hand.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
Never cared much for the Jazz III's although I do like smaller picks. For me its these...
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by A7X-LoGaN-A7X
Ultex Jazz picks rape all other picks. We got a box of them (12 packs of 5) at guitar center, and I sold all of them that day. These are the only picks I use now. they're beautiful.

EDIT: If you go to guitar center, and they don't have them, ask them to order some! THEY DEFINITELY CAN!

Truth. I like the Blacks over the Reds for nylon, but these are the best pics ever. I got like 24 some long-ass time ago, ordered them from a local shop. I think I've only used like 6 all together, and that's just because I play several hours in a day, generally, so they get worn of course (metal > plastic). But Ultex has the best range in tone out of any other created material IMO. I've never used actual tortoise shell as you can imagine, but I think Ultex is probably still better.

I even use regular Ultex picks for acoustic, and I find them better than Tortex, plastic, Nylon, and all that jazz.
i only use JAZZ III"s i have both red and black. Lately i have been using the red eric johnsons, they seem to have more grip because of the raised lettering. I used to use 1.5mm gator grips, but i beleive the jazz is superior. at least for me they are. I just feel like i play better with them. Nice and hard and stiff! And since we are talking picks, i read a review in a magazine on RED BEAR picks. Apparently they are great, but they cost $25.00 each. Has anyone tried one of these? Just curious, i doubt i ever will.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 17, 2008,