I'm in a deliemma where I can either trade my XXX 40 watt combo, and pay $150 and get the 120 watt head, or I can keep the combo. The only thing that I'm worried about is protability, but I'll probably get a 1X12 cab for christmas for traveling. I was wondering what others would do in my situation. Im leaning towards trading, as the speaker in my combo sounds like ****, and the crunch channel is lacking almost all balls. I also like the fact that its switchable between the crunch and clean, where its not in the combo. Thanks for any suggestions.
Change your speaker then?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Yeah, but Im kind of hesitant to drop $100 to see if it even helps my problem, just to find out it still sounds like crap. Id rather just get a new head that i already know sounds good. Oh, and a fun fact about it is that Michael Angelo Batio has played through it at a guitar clinic. I thought that was kind of neat.
I'd get the head. Then you can change cabs as much as you want. More versatile. There will be tons of people here that say you dont need it but ya might want it. You can have a 2x12 cab in your room to play and keep a 4x12 cab at your bands practice space. If you have one. Just carry the head. Thats what I do.
Id change the speakers. Portability, and also adding cabinets DOES NOT make **** louder. It changes bass response.
But the head is 120 watts... Much more powerful than 40 watts. Some will argue the loudness won't be much different but the low end sounds much more powerful on a high watt amp. Not to mention power amp gain at higher volumes. Adding more speakers doesn't make things louder but it makes it sound not so pushed. Unless you like that kinda sound.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're paying him MORE money for the head? Are you also getting the cab?

yah that dosent make sense if anything it should be a fair trade.
I never understand the portable issue. Are people really that lazy that they can't bring a head in and then go back and get the cab? Or just simply sit the head on the cab and roll it in wherever you are going?
Oh, and a fun fact about it is that Michael Angelo Batio has played through it at a guitar clinic.

Yeah, well, Rusty Cooley used my guitar cable at a clinic
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Nov 17, 2008,
Ive hung out with cooley before. He's a cool guy. I don't listen to him though. Stuff like that can't hold my interest. Don't have any feeling in it to me. It's all about guitar skills.
Who said higher wattage amps have better Low end? all they have is more headroom and a different gain breakup is all.
its not a fair trade unless the guy throws in a cab.
Quote by hcsn2008
But the head is 120 watts... Much more powerful than 40 watts. Some will argue the loudness won't be much different but the low end sounds much more powerful on a high watt amp. Not to mention power amp gain at higher volumes. Adding more speakers doesn't make things louder but it makes it sound not so pushed. Unless you like that kinda sound.

Hm. Totally missed that the head had more wattage.
And yes, the larger transformers in the head will probably allow for an increased low end response.
Quote by hcsn2008
Not to mention power amp gain at higher volumes

you don't want power amp breakup?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by hcsn2008
Ive hung out with cooley before. He's a cool guy. I don't listen to him though. Stuff like that can't hold my interest. Don't have any feeling in it to me. It's all about guitar skills.

I agree. Nice guy though and I can barely see his hands when he's playing.

Also, he's really short.

But anyway.

Do you gig? Is the combo loud enough?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
I don't have a combo. The combos are loud enough to gig with though. I don't own a xxx. I have a 5150, 6505, jsx, and bugera 333xl. I'm just not a combo guy. I have a combo practice amp and crate tube amp for cleans. Just always played with stacks in all my bands and so have the other guitar players.
I was talking to the TC
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
You're better off with your combo than you would be with a head. The combo is plenty loud for most small gigs, even though you'll probably mic it through a PA anyway. You can switch out your speaker for a reasonable price, or try throwing a tube screamer in front of it.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Well I already have 2 4X12 cabs, and Im getting a 2X12 with Celestions for Christmas. As far as the fair trade part, I bought this amp for $600, and this head costs $700. so Im really not losing that much money, especially for having the amp for about two years now. I like the head because it has a much tighter bass response, and the crunch channel has more gain, so I can actually use it for rhythm and, then use the ultra channel for lead.

And yeah, I do some small gigs and stuff for my school jazz band where I need cleans that dont break up, so the headroom would be nice. I already have a Bugera head, but I practice at two locations, and my car is not big enough to transport a halfstack wherever I go. I have one cab at my house, and one at my band practice space, and I've been taking the Bugera back and forth, but I kind of want it to stay there, as its getting beat up due to the transport in the trunk of my car, going up and down stairs and stuff.
Last edited by thetoastinator at Nov 17, 2008,
sounds like you have your heart set on the head!

as far as value goes..the head is worth more than the 40w combo...the head had more features,..and your right...120w vs 40 watts in the bass department is huge for getting bass u can feel..

so if i was you i would definatley do it!

the only down side i see to it is the fact that you dont have a cab yet,..that you'll have to wait until christmas?..is this correct?

when ya get a cab i wouldnt get a 1x12 cab...definatley go for the 2x12...and make sure..oh i cant stress this enough...MAKE SURE!!..u try something with v-30's in it before you make your descision!!!

i have a couple pics of my xxx set up on my profile...this is a mans amp...your gonna love it!
Yeah, Ive pretty much decided on the head. And I already have a 4X12 cab at my house, so its not a big deal. Im just getting the 2X12 so I can take the XXX to school easier, because a 4X12 going to school with me for jazz band practice is not easy.
I would look for better cabs man, or even get rid of the Behringers. Those behringers are build with low quality materials and I am not even going to start on the speakers....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Eh, the Jensens are not bad. I like the tone I am getting, and Im just going to upgrade the speakers later on, if I feel the need. They were built in the late 1990's before Behringer went completely crap, and they have been gigged very hard with a heavy touring act, and havent broken down. I got them from the guitarist, who is now a chef at a ski resort.
Alright then, if behringer has lasted that long, I'd say they are pretty decent.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
**** I don't know. i know people with 4 thousand dollar rigs and yet have behringer cabs. Say they love them. I was in a band with a guy with one sounded pretty good. The 400 watt ones.
Yeah, they aren't that bad at all. Most of my recordings on my profile are with them if you wanna check them out. And mine are the 400 watt ones. Their heavy as hell, but I really do like them a lot.
Yeah I think they sound good too. I've got 480 watt b-52 cabs. I'm pretty loyal to them but I'm going to get some vadar cabs next. People really underestimate those b-52's. When I got my first 5150 I didn't have a cab to go with it and I went and tried all kinds of cabs. That b-42 killed it for 400 bucks. Plus I like high wattage cabs.