Not psychedelic sounds, but trance like and... Weird I suspose. I know the singing and drumming play a large part in making something sound like that, buts whats a scale that sounds trance like/weird/hypnotic?
I suppose the Lydian and whole tone scales will work.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
yeah try going up and down the first 5 notes of a whole tone scale, that sounds like a quintessential hypnotic sound.

Or maybe learn some my bloody valentine or use some modulation effects
Thread starter just about any scale could be made to sound trance like. Your on the right idea about the drums and singing playing a role. Trance hypnotic music seems to slowly develop like a long series of measures with the same rythem and then more instruments apear. No sudden changes. Like a long tension build up and then release but not build up and release like a pop song the exact opposite. If this makes any sense. Its a hard question to answer but the scales you use are things to expirament with they are just formulas of relationships of notes so thier not going to do **** without your creativeness. I would advise you to try many scales and use your ears and think of the big picture. You could make a trance hypnotic music with any scale if you are creative enough. You obviously have a sound your looking for so grab your guitar and start playing. Some effects could be your friend here too. Good luck.
Yeah, I've been playing around with some scales and thinking of a backing track, and it sounds good so far, and effects certainly helped, some delay+chorus works well.
Why don't listen to trance music and see what they do? Scales don't "sound" anything, and there isn't one that will make you sound trance.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why don't listen to trance music and see what they do? Scales don't "sound" anything, and there isn't one that will make you sound trance.

This.

Trance is different for everyone. Just check out artists that make music that you feel/perceive as trance, and analyze their music. And why does my spelling checker says analyze is spelled wrong. Is it?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Archeo Avis

+2

i like using lots of delay, phase, flange, chorus, ring mods and envelope filters. basically anything to make it sound trippy.
Try these:

C Jewish (Ahaba Rabba) Scale
intervals: 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7
half-steps: 1-3-1-2-1-2-2
notes: C,Db,E,F,G,Ab,Bb

C Theta, Bhairav Scale
intervals: 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,7
half-steps: 1-3-1-2-1-3-1
notes: C,Db,E,F,G,Ab,B

They are usually used in film music and can sound quite exotic. I agree with some of the other posters that most any scale can sound "trance and hypnotic" if you space them out right and use them in an unorthodox way. Even the good ol Pentatonic can sound really spacey if you figure out unique patterns for it (try different tapping techniques). And ya..if you wanna get reeeealy out there throw some delay or flange or whatever effect sounds cool!