Poll: How do you setup your guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you setup your guitar?
Sam Ash
0 0%
Guitar Center
1 4%
Certified repair luthier
2 9%
Do it yourself!
16 70%
What is a setup!?!?!?
4 17%
Voters: 23.
Well I'm going to figure out how I'm going to setup my new slash signature guitar. I would prefer to do it myself, although I won't have any clue as if I did it right. I'm concerned with sending it out because it might get scratched or something might get damaged. Most of the repair guys I called have a several day turnaround. Prices seem to be around $50-75.
it's not too hard to do yourself. I use Fender's way of setting up guitars (http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php) on my strat, and I use the same steps with my epiphone, but not everything applies to the les paul, obviously. As far as i can find, Gibson and Epiphone don't have setup guides on their websites, but if i find one i'll post it. Also, check out www.fretnotguitarrepair.com, which has some great guides for setting up your guitar.

EDIT: The one thing I suggest not doing yourself at first is adjusting the truss rod. If you tighten it too much, you can strip the threads, which costs a lot more to fix than it would have cost you to get a setup professionally done. Just make sure you know what you're doing before you do it.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Nov 17, 2008,
My advice is to pay it. You don't want to learn on a guitar you really care about. Take it from someone who learned the hard way because I couldn't wait the three days to get it done right and ended up having to wait even longer.
Quote by SuperFlanker
Well I'm going to figure out how I'm going to setup my new slash signature guitar. I would prefer to do it myself, although I won't have any clue as if I did it right. I'm concerned with sending it out because it might get scratched or something might get damaged. Most of the repair guys I called have a several day turnaround. Prices seem to be around $50-75.

what would you like to get out of your guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
$50 - 75.00 is a good price but you should be able to schedule it so that you drop it off the day before the tech is planning to work on it and pick it up the next day. Most professional setups are down within 2 hours or so I would question someone who doesn't plan their work enough to know when they'll be able to get to your guitar. It serves absolutly no purpose to have your guitar waiting around the shop for days when it's not being worked on!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Nov 17, 2008,
On a side note....you could also invest $25 and buy a good guitar set-up & repair manual. It really isn't hard once you know what to check for and how to adjust things. I do my own set ups but I do go to a tech if I want a nut cut, frets filed etc as this type of work requires specialized tools and may potentially damage your guitar. Truss rod adjustment shouldn't be done until you've learned how to evaluate your neck and how to properly perform the adjustment. If you breaka russ rod, you've probably pooched the guitar.
Moving on.....